[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powered Para Glider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: handheldgauge.jpg (6 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
handheldgauge.jpg
6 KB, 231x218
Hi /diy/ I'm getting into PPG and I've found there is no such thing as a handheld fuel gauge. I was wondering if I could scavange my old scuba diving pressure gauge and do something with it. Any thoughts? Looks like pic related.
>>
>>928448

You will have issues getting a reliable reading, as the tanks tend to be small (in volume) and prone to fluid level changes due to flight attitude.

Most light aircraft, the fuel gauge is a suggestion at best, and fuel remaining is based on knowing the volume of fuel consumed at the desired power setting.

TL-DR?

Use a watch.
>>
>>928470
Basically to do this : I have 5 liters and engine consumes 3.2 liters at 7000rpm/h. i have a little more than one hour. Is that it?
>>
>>928475
Basically, except you have ~1 hour of total op, so your radius is 25 minutes with a 5 minute cushion.

Think flight time, and not fuel time.
Even though you're in a paraglider, you don't want to go wetfoot or hug a tree, because you thought you had a few more ml of fuel.
>>
>>928478
If I run out of fuel I can glide though, that's what's cool about a paramotor
>>
>>928480
Yeah but not for very long (unless of course you happen to run out in the middle of a thermal)
>>
>>928448
And there is the issue of scuba pressure gauges being 200 or 300 bar....
>>
>>928478

In maritime we don't even risk that close of a buffer. Smaller tanks we check operational range by including a buffer of 1/3 of run time.
>>
>>928490
You try to avoid thermals in PPG
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.