[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always wanted to build a nuclear reactor. Anyone here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: fusor_tue_2.png (1 MB, 1116x656) Image search: [Google]
fusor_tue_2.png
1 MB, 1116x656
I've always wanted to build a nuclear reactor.
Anyone here ever build a Fusor?
>>
File: lower.jpg (64 KB, 550x469) Image search: [Google]
lower.jpg
64 KB, 550x469
And an example of the inside of one.
>>
>>928307
They're pretty neon lights.... and dangerous x-ray emitters.

What is the purpose of building something that is known not to work?
>>
>>928309
While you do use more energy to work the machine than it can put out, it does in fact do fusion and produce neutrons if fed deuterium gas.
>>
>>928307
Good luck distilling hydroflouric acid to make UF6... which is the fuel you would need to operate your reactor.
>>
>>928307
Just make a Thorium reactor.
>>
>>928323
What? It can run off air to make the pretty lights. Deuterium gas for fusion.
>>
>not using GNU/Gentoo/Fusor
>>
>>928309

>fusion doesn't work

Says the man who hasn't been outside in 2 years
>>
File: radscout.jpg (29 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
radscout.jpg
29 KB, 350x450
>>928307
Just do like the Nuclear Boyscout, but don't be a 17 year old kid.

The cops would have never caught on if he didn't outright tell them he was carrying radioactive materials in his car.
Also if he'd stop stealing smoke detectors in broad daylight.

If I were suicidal enough I could waltz right into my chemistry department and walk out with all kinds of fun stuff for a reactor. Just go to grad school and you'd be set for life (however short that is).

Of course, the bigger issue is you'll probably look like pic related and die at age 45, but that's a small price to pay.
>>
>>928695
He actually just called an nuclear technician or engineer and asked him how to build one. The guy just told him as if it wasn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>928309
>known not to work?

They work just fine. They're not Q >= 1 but almost nothing is.
>>
>>928323
>Fusors run on Uranium Hexafluoride
>>
>>928309
they work, they're not able to be made efficient enough though
>>
How small do you think a fusor can be made? What about the inside of something like a shot gun shell.
>inb4 microsfusion cell
>>
File: zambelli.jpg (77 KB, 566x385) Image search: [Google]
zambelli.jpg
77 KB, 566x385
>>929755
I was so jelly of this set up when I was younger.
>>
>>928695
I'm 44 already, so not much of a loss.

See ya'll in hell munchkins
>>
OP
Physical Chemist here.
Farnsworth Fusors are ineffective for power production. Sorry but its true the power you put in to it is way more than you can get out of it. So you won't be able to power your house off the grid if that's what you looking for.
Now you can build a pretty good fusor that's relatively safe for just a few buck.
What you will need is a variable autotransformer (a variac as they are often called), and a transformer that's at least 100 to 1.
To get the 100 to 1 you can also use 2 microwave oven transformers rigged back to back.
This will get your 220v AC to 22000v AC more than enough to get the atoms ionized and crashing.

The next thing you will need is a decent vacuum chamber, I assume you'll want to look at the fusor core so you can use acrylic tubes wit ha bit of vacuum sealing you will be set.
You can buy decent vacuum pumps online for cheap, but you can nigger up one form a fridge compressor.
If you want more details maybe a drawing and schimatic ask
>>
>>929757
where does one buy deuterium?
>>
>>928695
oh wow. I read the book. didnt realise he didnt write it. its written in first person though. why? now reading the wikipedia page he just seems like a retard.

>lel breeder reactor
>wherever I go, I must steal radioactive materials
>gets job working on submarine
>mopping floors
>literally cannot stop disabling every smoke detector he sees
>makes massive pile of materials

he is literally no more clever than our good friend ahmed.
>look teacher! I piled radioactive materials together!
>it took quite a lot of niggery theft
it actually sort of reminds me of niggers who will do a thousand dollars worth of damage to make ten bucks.
>>
>>928309
>known not to work?
>>929945
>Farnsworth Fusors are ineffective for power production.

When did OP ever say anything about using it to generate electricity?
>>
>>929956
Well, looking at all these "off thug grid" threads here every day, I think you can agree it's a reasonable assumption.
Also I have plans on how to make one and this is what you ask me?
>>929948
If your me you go to the lab upstairs yell at the undergrads and take their cylinder
But if your the Nazi empire in the 1940s you occupy Norway and split the water from the melting ice. Now for this you need to use low power electrolysis for a very long time. Once you notice that the power consumption starts to increase you now have concentrated heavy water. Split said heavy water and you'll get you deuterium.
I don't think a unlicensed person can just walk in to a store or order it online without proper documentation and licenses.
>>
>>929951
well, the scout actually knew how to do shit. ahmed just solders cpu's by cridelly dragging a plumbing soldering iron across an IC.
>>
>>930000
>how to do shit
>no containment
>no reactor vessel
he just has some weird fetishized kleptomania where he must steal radioactive materials and collect them in a pile. he did it for so long without getting caught that he managed to steal enough materials, probably doing hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage to get the materials that his pile started to heat up. then he didnt know what to do when it did so he just called the cops instead of, oh, breaking up the pile and spreading it out so that it didnt chain reaction so fast.

there is the romance of the boy genius eagle scout into nuclear physics and there is the reality of the adult janitor, who at age 30 was arrested and went to jail for vandalizing all the smoke alarms in his tenement building to satisfy his strange fetish.
>>
>>929966
I envy you.
my engineering department as an undergrad refused to give me 555s.
and your chemistry department just has deuterium that costs 1000$US/L just lying around.
>>
>>930004
Well I'm not an undergrad I'm a junior researcher / professors bottom bitch I mean assistant. And it's a plasma research lab so they have all sorts of gasses in there some bottled up since the 60s. Besides it's government funding no one cares about the costs. Once you gut down the tax and legal fees it's pretty much dirt ass cheap.
Having said that undergrads won't have access to anything. The little piles of poo are an environmental hazards waiting to happen.
So you can pretty much can chalk up anything that goes missing or damaged to said students. And they never really charge them anything since these things happen.
I've built a mock up fusor 3 or 4 times.
twice or so a year. The college has an "open doors" thing where they invite the public to take a sneak peak at the experiments.
Since all of the actual experimentation are done off site or are crunching boring ass numbers they get a few people to think up fun presentations and lie about how it's an experiment. Think kinda like chemist putting an indicator solution in to lemon juice and noticing the colour change. Well since they got there first we have to think or something better.
So we put together a fusor back when I was about to graduate and it's been re built ever since. For the presentation we don't use deuterium. Thar although fun it would be illegal. So we just fill the chamber with nitrogen or plain air depending on the time we want to waste and just fire it up as an extremely inefficient lamp. The kids loose their minds over this stuff. Asking us about building it in to an iron man suit. Sometimes we crush their little dreams. Sometimes we don't.
>>
File: fusor_iv.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
fusor_iv.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>928307
www.fusor.net
This site has been around for more than a decade. They have a forum for asking questions, obtaining parts and equipment.
Some serious real nuclear scientists lurk here and answer questions. There is a FAQ.

Pictures of working fusors of various and extreme designs.
They maintain an honor roll for experimenter that achieve first plasma, then neutron emissions.

You won't get break even, but up to 10^9 to 10^13 neutrons for activation material fun.
Just be careful of high voltage supplies (try building a few Tesla coils and neon signs first).

Low doses of x-rays can be blocked with buckets of lead tire weights from tire shops.
(Later cast them into soft slugs for shotguns/pistols. etc.)
>>
>>929755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38xVBd60yas
>>
>>930030
do you know if the crazy guy builded his 1 Million volt fusor or was shocked to death
>>
File: Untitled.png (189 KB, 433x372) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
189 KB, 433x372
>>930030
>implying OP hasn't been lurking that site for over a decade and a half
>implying the only record is when OP bought Richard Hull's VHS tapes via letter and check
>implying OP hasn't ripped Hull's tape to digital
>implying OP hasn't perfected his own fusor and keeps it secret for the lawl
>>
File: NewSpecies_web_1024.jpg (67 KB, 1024x415) Image search: [Google]
NewSpecies_web_1024.jpg
67 KB, 1024x415
>>930030

>be me
>18 or 19 years old
>buy neon sign xformer off ebay for cheap
>arrives
>madscientist.jpg
>nail copper wire to 2x4
>fuck yes Jacobs ladder
>mfw no inline resistance
>mfw when glorious Jacobs ladder has 5 seconds of spectacular existence
>mfw xformer let's out magic smoke as it's final breath
>tell eBay dude item was DOA
>get refund

Everything was better than expected
>>
>>930279
>>mfw no inline resistance
>>mfw when glorious Jacobs ladder has 5 seconds of spectacular existence

Don't these things have deliberately high leakage inductance or magnetic shunts for current limiting?
>>
>>930279
In an alternative reality you didn't get a refund and fixed it yourself. Becoming a quick and skilled young inventor. By 23 you made the world's first sustainable fusion reactor.
>>
>>929966
>I think you can agree it's a reasonable assumption.

No, not really. People build Fusors because they're interested in them. OP did not indicate in any way that he's a nutjob.
>>
>>930454
This. I want to build one, but I'm under no illusions as to it's capabilities. I just think it would be something fun to build and show off to friends.
>>
>>930442

Apparently that one didn't. Fried those windings quick as shit.

>>930448

I'm not about to rewind a high voltage transformer. That's far too many wraps. Fusion just isn't cool enough to get past my lazy factor on that one.
>>
>>929951
"it actually sort of reminds me of niggers who will do a thousand dollars worth of damage to make ten bucks."

I have personally witness this. Some nig-nog tweaker chopped 4 ft of copper pipe air conditioning line, TWICE to steal the copper.
The cost to replace pipe and recharge the AC with fresh R-134 was $700 each time.
Of course it's a petty theft crime outside of a home, so it's not break and entering,
The tweakers know what is a misdemeanor and not a felony. I stayed up with the shotgun all night a few nights to no avail.
>>
>>929966
Yes, you can order Deuterium from a welding gas supply place. No homeland security or FBI visits.
>>
>>930002
The point was he was the idiot to be caught with materials and a unusual hobby, no matter how stupid he was doing it. Sensationalist crap to fill the UP Newswire feed. The first to feed a viral video on Youtube with DIY nu-key-lear physics?
It gives the real scientists and serious hobbyists a bad name.
www.fusor.net real McCoy, hardcore folk there.
>>
File: electric_kill-you-and-hurt.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
electric_kill-you-and-hurt.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>930279
Sometimes fun to let the magic smoke out of parts just for the lawls and impress friends watching.
I got neon sign transformers for free as a "student" showing up at a neon sign shop;
One of the shop workers demonstrated that one works with a bright white hot flame from a wire to the chassis of the transformer with his bare hands holding the wire.
I was thinking to myself, this guy is going to die horribly in an accident someday.
>>
>>930591
I know of a electrical engineer guy who had a working pole pig step up transformer in his garage. The thing weighed 500 lbs. Takes 6KV in and steps it up to 32KV with hundreds of amperes of current.
He wanted to build a seriously large tesla coil in steps or power a fusor. I warned up about the soft x-rays after 25kv with that kind of amps available. I didn't want to be in his shop when he fired it up with no shielding. -ick
>>
>>930650
>Takes 6KV in and steps it up to 32KV with hundreds of amperes of current.
>when he fired it up

i would have been more worried about the nuclear reactor he was using to power it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.