[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to rectify a sine wave from my laptop (generated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 11
File: rectify this.jpg (140 KB, 654x677) Image search: [Google]
rectify this.jpg
140 KB, 654x677
I'm trying to rectify a sine wave from my laptop (generated by a simple oscillator in Reaktor). It's only half-rectifying though. I've tried various things, including a different set of diodes.

Any ideas?
>>
Post a schema ! But very likely ground problem : your laptop ground is differnt from rectified ground !
>>
File: scematic.jpg (49 KB, 700x511) Image search: [Google]
scematic.jpg
49 KB, 700x511
>>928041
Yeah the ground on the jack is the brown one going into the bottom half. I can see how there might be a problem there but can't quite get it.
>>
>>928049
The "AC source" means just the tip (top half) and sleeve (bottom half) of the output jack.
>>
File: half-wave.jpg (20 KB, 633x324) Image search: [Google]
half-wave.jpg
20 KB, 633x324
nobody knows what half-rectifying means. does it mean you're just getting half the pulses, like the red line in the pic?

also, you dont mention how you're seeing the waves. if you're using a scope or a pc-scope then you're probably shorting out one set of diodes when you connect the probes.
>>
>>928061
Yes the red outline is what I'm getting. Now I'm trying to bias a signal (i.e. put a DC offset on it) and of course that doesn't fucking work either. Nothing I ever try works. The most trivial thing and it just fails.

Funny thing is, I'm looking at the Reaktor screen in the background and reminiscing how simple it was to make signals do what you wanted. Wanna DC offset? Add a constant to it.
Wanna make it bigger? Multiply it by a constant.

I think I might just burn all my electronics stuff and get a tattoo reminding myself that it's never ever gonna happen, so don't ever be tempted to try it again because all it leads to is dismay.
>>
thats a pretty normal noob situation, until you learn all the tricks nobody ever teaches you.
>>
>>928037
line level can generate negative voltage but can a headphone jack? should it?
>>
>>928037
It's because your ground is a ground, and your signal is going positive and negative compared to it. Try connecting the signal to where it is now as well as where the ground is now, then move your ground to the output negative position.
>>
>>928088

it has to go negative or else it wouldnt sound right. either the output chip is dual rail, or more likely, there's a cap in series with the output which removes the DC component, leaving only beautiful AC.
>>
File: casul.png (21 KB, 1008x630) Image search: [Google]
casul.png
21 KB, 1008x630
>>928049
Here you go faggot.
the diodes on the left are a waste since you connected your bridge all wrong. So you're getting a semi rectifier (loosing the down signal) for full rectification youse this. Pic related.
adding a cap between the + and - will make the rectification a bit more smoother.
>>
>>928138
Flip the bottom diodes tho, noticed it too late :/
>>
get a 1:1 ratio transformer and run the audio through that first. you can find 1:1 trans in old telephone line modems.
>>
>>928138
Thanks I'll try it but I'm doing something else ATM. The cap was going to be my next step as well. I just wanted to see how they'd affect the ripple.
>>
>>928141
Yeah true, a lot of the schematics online I saw had a transformer. Is that to decouple the grounds?
>>
>>928148
Additionally, I got a few transformers out of a PC power supply. Would that have one?
>>
File: rektify.jpg (64 KB, 974x608) Image search: [Google]
rektify.jpg
64 KB, 974x608
>>928140
You can't mean like this surely?
>>
>>928152
How about this? But that;s just what I did isn't it?
>>
File: r2.jpg (64 KB, 974x608) Image search: [Google]
r2.jpg
64 KB, 974x608
>>928153
>>
File: 7dd14eb078[1].png (75 KB, 1902x772) Image search: [Google]
7dd14eb078[1].png
75 KB, 1902x772
>>928154
ye
>>
>>928168
of course you lose lots of voltage with a load but you get the idea
>>
>>928168
But how is that not this? Apart from the cap - is that what it is?
>>928049
>>
>>928138
literally one of those diodes was correct.
look at the fucking top two the source is shorted.
+ve at the bottom?
fucking hell.
>>
File: 1452441124529.jpg (96 KB, 772x700) Image search: [Google]
1452441124529.jpg
96 KB, 772x700
>got a few transformers out of a PC power supply
since you ripped a bunch of pc psu why dont you dig up these things (they're full-wave rectifiers in a box) and use it instead of those diodes.

oh and those transformers arent very useful since they are designed specifically for the switching circuit that you pulled them from (unless you wanna break them apart and pull out the copper wire of which there is very little).
>>
>>928239
Yeah I got a rectifier from it. I should give it a try but it's a bit hard to fit in the breadboard.
>>
File: an001-f4.gif (4 KB, 725x270) Image search: [Google]
an001-f4.gif
4 KB, 725x270
Come on
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge
>>
>>928141
Just use built a differential amplifier, this gets rid of the ground as well
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-11-15-25-38.jpg (133 KB, 1060x1604) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-11-15-25-38.jpg
133 KB, 1060x1604
>>928499
Oh wiki images, how i love you.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.