[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided to build a oven for various projects, heat is always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
So I decided to build a oven for various projects, heat is always needed!
The plan is to scavenge the heating elements from a sauna heater which are abundant here in the land of glory and heroes . The oven itself is easily created out of fire bricks.
But is there some thingamajig that could regulate three phase heaters? I presume these heaters work with phase to phase voltages that translate to 380V. I can follow the heat inside the oven with some probe so no automation is needed, just a knob to turn which regulates the heat inside. The amount of power needed to be regulated is around 6-9kW, depending on what kind of heater I manage to scavenge...
Help me out here, I don't want to build this regulator as electricity scares me!
>>
>>928031
I'm building one too, but mine uses normal wall outlet electric. Just 124v 15A 1850W maxes for the outlets it would use. It will be heavily insulated so that only a small amount of power will be needed to build up a lot of heat.

Since you are using fire bricks, what will this oven be used for? Normally you only use fire bricks for some heavy duty, high temp use like a foundry & furnace or kiln. Otherwise, the bricks will take forever to heat up for lower temperatures.

Mine is just for food cooking and room heat. It will have electric, natural gas, and wood burning capabilities. It will have various feature that allow it to be completely closed off (electric oven use) or to be vented for gas/wood use as well as a hot box vent for heat exchanging if heating the room is what is needed. The hot box will also have a metal fan to circulate the air.

As for a temperature probe/thermostat, I'll be purchasing one with a knob and shutoff. I recommend googling, "3 phase electric stove thermostat".
>>
>>928031
I honestly got my cooker for free. I have no idea why you feel the need to build an oven.
>>
>>928159
My friend is a blacksmith (that earns his living with smithing) and we were talking about steel one day driving around. I unfortunately don't know the vocabulary in English but certain shit you do to steel needs specific temperatures. You know what I'm talking about. I want those temperatures and it won't be too hard to build the oven part. But to control the temperature one needs a way to regulate it. And this is something that is new for me. Three phase regulation.

And with the option to turn it up to "inferno" I have the added option of pottery!
>>
>>928031
A thermostat? You need a contactor that can handle your voltage and amperage, and has a 120v coil. Then a 120v thermostat to turn the contactor on and off. Very easy. You'll also need a transformer if you're using 480. Also, if you're not comfortable with electrics, don't fucking do this.
>>
I use an old oven for heating things that I got for free off CL. I use a toaster oven I got for free off CL for smaller things.
>>
>>928369
>I unfortunately don't know the vocabulary in English
Maybe you should have looked that up before asking?

Ovens are just for food*. The thing in OP is an "oven". The thing for pottery is a "kiln", the thing for metal is a "furnace".

Nobody ever reads the middle of a thread, so expect to see many more posts about building ovens.

* shut it, /pol/
>>
>>928669
http://www.despatch.com/annealing_ovens.aspx

Shut your goddamn face hole you useless cockslut. Thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation with your fucking wrong pedantic bullshit.
>>
>>928675
OP's pic is of a conventional kitchen oven. OP states, "oven" several times. OP wants to build an oven that's about 2-5kW more than a conventional electric oven (around 4kW)..OP never states what the oven is for.

In this case kitchen oven pic+OP wants to build an oven=OP is making a beefy kick ass food oven. Hence sincere replies like this, >>928123
>>
>>928734
>gets proven wrong
>still tries to argue he is correct

Never change 4chan.
>>
>>928675
>The thing with there with four legs is a horse
>TGATS NOT TRUE I FOUND SOMETHING HERE ABOUT A SEA HORSE AND THEY SWIN SO YOUR RONG
That's the fallacy of affirming the consequent, and it's been known to be bogus reasoning for thousands of years.
>>
>>928669
I'm glad I don't know you in real life, you're more concerned about proving somebody wrong than educating someone.
>>
>>928031
probably wont be 3 phase but either way, you get a contactor (relay) with as many poles as you have phases and you control it with lower voltage. any normal temperature controller will work, you just need to correct thermocouple that can work in that heat range
>>
>>928751
>foreigner.
That leg thing, is it a donkey or horse pr what do you call it.
>4chan
He might also mean an ass....

Oh he's talking about metal and high temps and fairly good temperature control he probably means an annealing oven. (a horse)
>fucking 4tard
Hurrr horses don't exist
>4chan
Yes they do you fucking idiot. Here is a company that will sell you one.
>4tard
Uhhhh... Affirming the consequent!
>>
>>928805
Good job derailing your own thread. This is now OP's-English-skills thread.

inb4 "it was some other guy with an interest in ovens and not-being-wrong-about-anything-ever".
>>
>>929015
Actually I didn't. Note that anon is talking about "he".

Anyway, back to topic. It seems like I need to elaborate. I'd love to see something more subtle than a simple relay, something that would control the heat seamlessly or steplessly (note the use of an online dictionary, after all English is my third language...). A relay has this inbuilt oscillation with its on-off type of function. I don't know if this is an issue, that the temperature is somewhat imprecise , or rather fluctuating, because of this but if anon happens to know of some part that could be bought that can basically lower the wattage of the heating elements please do share!

If there is none then I'll just rig it up by using a relay. Maybe it isn't an issue?
>>
>>928669
It's not that I want to be a dick but yes I do.

According to Wikipedia (which I just took as an authority)
Kiln:
"A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, a type of oven, that produces temperatures sufficient to complete some process, such as hardening, drying, or chemical changes."

Furnace:
"A furnace is a device used for high-temperature heating. The name derives from Greek word fornax, which means oven."

And further:
" In American English and Canadian English usage, the term furnace on its own refers to ... and sometimes as a synonym for kil"

Remember children, playing with words can get you burnt.
>>
>>928740
I wasn't the one who was "proven wrong".

I just pointed out that the OP didn't give proper info. That's all.
>>
>>929130
I thought we'd already put the tie/bow-tie/cable-tie discussion to bed?

X implies Y does not mean Y implies X. A cow is a type of mammal; this doesn't mean a mammal is a type of cow.

You need to cherry-pick a source that say an "oven" is something that isn't the thing pictured in OP, not a source that says something that isn't the thing pictured in OP is sometimes called an oven.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.