[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /diy/ I have a 5W, 18V, .28 mah solar panel and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Dear /diy/

I have a 5W, 18V, .28 mah solar panel and I want to convert the voltage to around 5v, and increase the amperage to at least .5mah. How could I do this?
>>
if you can into schematics and datasheets, look up this regulator chip, or similar: AP34063

otherwise, ready made circuits can be found by googling. one easy way is to use a Blackberry car adapter (charger) with takes in 10-25V and puts out 5V. $3 at the thrift store. other brands may work, but are not specifically rated for 25V.
>>
>>928027
It's not 'milliampere-hours', it's just milliamps, and it's not '0.28mA', that would be 280 *microamps*, it's 280 *milliamps*, or 0.28A.

Now, then.. what you need is a step-down (or 'buck') switching power supply. Since you need 5V (not 'around' 5V, it's *5V*) you can get a module that does this off-the-shelf -- which in your case is a good thing, since I don't have much faith at this point in your being able to actually construct one.
>>
>>928027
..oh, and since you're confused about it: 'milliampere-hours' is a unit of measure you'd use for a *battery*, not a solar panel of any kind; it's a unit of measure with regards to *storage capacity*.
>>
You have 5W, you can do whatever you want with it.

5W / 5V = 1A

You want a 5Ω resistor.
>>
>>928027
Break it apart. Find out what the output of the (separate) solar panel(s) is/are. Go from there. There are no solar panels that directly output 18V, so it is probably in series to increase voltage. Typical output is about 0.5V per piece. This is the best way to do it without losing efficiency by using adapters etc.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.