[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I rented an old house this summer (the house is about 50 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: stinky-toiletw385h443.jpg (85 KB, 385x443) Image search: [Google]
stinky-toiletw385h443.jpg
85 KB, 385x443
I rented an old house this summer (the house is about 50 years old). It's my first house and I'm really happy with my choice. However, the bathroom stinks really bad... Any suggestions? I've already tried buying one of those bathroom air fresheners, but it seems now the bathroom smells like shit and perfume.
>>
>>927993
bleach spray everywhere
>>
Call landlord. If you've been using the sink and shower already, then the only thing left to stink is the toilet's wax/rubber ring.

Does it smell like sewage/shit or just musty/mold? It could be leaking water in a wall I guess.
>>
>>927999
Sewage shit I'm afraid. And I'm pretty sure it's coming from the toilet.
>>
>>928000
Still, call landlord, it's not your job. Sincerely a land lord.
>>
>>928000
We have a breathing tube from the sewage system that goes to the roof. It freezes in the wintertime so that it doesn't breathe and this leads to sewage fumes inside! Sweet smells I tell you ya!
>>
Is the toilet caulked to the floor? If not remove the toilet and scrub the pipe.
>>
>>928000
Actually, sewage is a much better smell than mould. Sewage is just a pipe that isn't airtight, should be fixable. Should be three possible places (toilet, shower-drain or sink). Mould, you're talking ripping everything out including walls and hopefully it hasn't spread to other parts of the house.
>>
>>927993
The wax ring under your toilet needs to be replaced.
>>
Draino everything. Also pour used oil, bacon grease, 5w-20, and lard down the drain to keep them lubricated
>>
>>928059
Depending on where you live. Mold comes from water. If you live in a place where you can remove the water that's all it takes and the mold dies. Still good to bleach it though
>>
>>927993
If it has a crawl space might go look to see if shower has a trap, my didn't.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.