[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/ so my goal is to build a plane, i have no problem with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: china-3_plane_3014771k.jpg (62 KB, 783x536) Image search: [Google]
china-3_plane_3014771k.jpg
62 KB, 783x536
hey /diy/
so my goal is to build a plane, i have no problem with that so far.
however i'm not familiar with the regulations.

can i fly this plane ?
>>
>>927933
Yes you can fly it anywhere, don't you know china is a land of freedom?
>>
>>927937
u_u
i'm not Chinese, that pic isn't me.
>>
>>927939
You can't fly a chinese plane outside china
>>
File: 1436735167793.jpg (5 KB, 250x210) Image search: [Google]
1436735167793.jpg
5 KB, 250x210
>>927942
goddamn it, you fucking Autist !

i'm not Chinese, i don't live in China, and my Plane wasn't made in China, it was built in my basement.
>>
>>927946
Can you not read? You can fly the plane INSIDE china, and not OUTSIDE china, I think that covers EVERYWHERE, if you are in china, you can fly it, if you are outside, then no, why is this so hard to understand?
>>
>>927950
there are many amateur plane flyng in western countries
>>
My wild guess would be that you need a PPL for that type in the country you live in unless it's some 3rd world shithole. Now, what I would do is just take that thing as far from civilization as possible and just fly it on my own no regulations whatsoever.
>>
>>927980
i assume there are some limits to what altitude you're allowed to fly, and obviously not anywhere near an airport
>>
>>927933
Aaaaaand YET an anon that asks for regulations but fails to specify location!

I bet you are Chinese!
>>
>>928008
i'm French.
sorry, i forgot to specify
>>
File: sd1-minisport.jpg (196 KB, 1024x634) Image search: [Google]
sd1-minisport.jpg
196 KB, 1024x634
Look up ultralight aviation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_aviation

Europe seems to have more classes than the US.

But here in the US, you can build an ultralight aircraft with a maximum weight of 234lb (not including you and safety equipment) a max fuel capacity of 5gal, and max speed of 64mph. They can only be flow during daylight hours in unrestricted airspace but there is no license required, no communications equipment required, and no registration.

I'm looking to build my own as well, I'll be using composites like carbon fiber and aluminum to keep the weight down.

Pic related. Literally popped into /diy/ to make this thread and yours was on the front page :-)
>>
>>928020
>maximum weight of 234lb
thats just 106kg !
>5gal
18liters

that's damn restrictive dude !

>there is no license required, no communications equipment required, and no registration.

thats pretty neat

i'm not sure about the weight yet. but i think i can make it down to 106kg (234lbs)

but for the fuel its just not possible because i'll be using turbo reactors.
5gal will last me less than 20 minutes.
gonna need at least twice that.

as for the speed, who's gonna check ?! the air cops ?

>Literally popped into /diy/ to make this thread and yours was on the front page :-)
thanks m8
>>
>>928020
>I'll be using composites like carbon fiber and aluminum to keep the weight down.

with 234lbs max you won't have much choice.
i'v heard carbon fiber is damn expensive.
>>
>>928020
What parts are you making out of carbon fiber?
>>
>>928056
It should be noted that, most places, there is a minimum distance away from an airports airspace (which can extend in a large radius, minimum is 5mi after this radius in the us). which an UL can fly without making radio contact and gaining permission from the tower. No licenses are needed for airband in the US, as long as you're an aircraft.

>as for speed
Most airports have radar capable of seeing an UL for up to 50-100mi. Further if you're higher.

>alright then I'll just fly low to the ground
Below 500ft is where ultralight flight is most dangerous, because you give yourself less time to react and more objects to hit.

As for Fuel, it's one of those things that it's not really an issue, until it's an issue.
Say you're flying and you get hit by some wind your craft can't steer out of and veer in to the airspace of an airport by 100ft or smaller.
Normally if you explain what happened by contacting the local air office or the airport in question and kiss ass to the FAA guy, you'll be ok.

But if he decides to inspect your craft, and finds you have too much fuel, bend over, you're fucked.

There's more detail and technicality, but I'm in a rush to remember he airspace ratings and office names, but if you really want to into UL get with your country's equivalent of the EAA (experimental aircraft association). These people fly all the time and know all the rules, and can even make sure your wing won't fall apart mid flight.

source: I'm a PPG pilot.
>>
>>928099
thanks for the infos, m8
i really appreciate
>>
>>928056
Please look up FAR 103. It's the actual rules
>>
File: pp10.jpg (513 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
pp10.jpg
513 KB, 1024x681
>>927933
Google your local regulations. For instance, in the USA you can fly a Powered Parachute without a license of any kind so long as you don't have a passenger. Otherwise, you need a general pilot's license. Everything else will need a pilot's license. It is subject to the 5gal 254lbs rules too.

>>928056
30-60 mile range depending on wind
>>
what would they do if you tried to leave/enter a country on one of those things
>>
>>928358
I'm in the US so I can't say about anywhere else. Here, there are radars watching the southern border, the populated areas of the northern border, and the coasts. People flying a Cessna crossing a border would have a transponder, be in contact with traffic control somewhere, and plan to land at an airport near the other side of the border to handle customs/immigration. In an ultralight, with no transponder and no flight plan, you'd be detected and likely someone would come after you (dunno if an F-16 can shoot down an ultralight). Maybe you might be able to cross undetected if you flew just above the trees in the middle of nowhere, but that's just asking for an engine failure to occur, or discover that you're about to hit some extra-tall trees.
>>
File: sd1-skeleton.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sd1-skeleton.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
>>928057
It's not as expensive as it was a decade ago. I'm budgeting around $20k for the whole thing. Most expensive parts will be prop and engine.

>>928078
I'll be using aluminum for the structure and carbon fiber for everything else (fuselage, wings, etc). I'd like the prop to be carbon fiber, but will likely go with something pre-made for convenience sake.

>>928056
That's 234lb empty and not including safety equipment like ballistic parachute. MTOM is limited by your engine. They're called ultralight for a reason!

Remember that those are US rules for unlicensed pilots. If you do have a private license you can fly much larger aircraft. As for Europe there are much more options, you'll need to look into it further.
>>
File: sd1-minisport-3.jpg (88 KB, 755x494) Image search: [Google]
sd1-minisport-3.jpg
88 KB, 755x494
>>928406
I'm basing mine off the plans for this SD-1. They use wood for their structure and some kind of wood or plastic for the shell.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOrmETgMkM
>>
>>928406
How will you form the carbon fiber? Will you use like prepreg in a vacuum bag? Will you do it without an autoclave?
>>
>>928408
thats pretty damn cool
>>
>>928421
I have a few ideas. One is to reinforce a thin plastic with the carbon fiber. Benefit would be not requiring a mold while still keeping the weight low. Second is to use a slightly more rigid plastic to essentially create a mold for each piece of the shell. With the latter I could use a vacuum bag to evenly distribute the resin.

An autoclave/oven are prohibitively expensive, so I'm weighting my options as far as out-of-autoclave goes. People fly things made of fucking cloth and plywood so it doesn't exactly have to be perfect to work. My main concerns are having something lightweight but rigid enough to take the pressure. I'd also like to dampen the noise from the air/engine as much as possible.
>>
>>928341
A buddy of my dad had him do some electrical work for him once but of course he got laid off before he finished. So he gave my dad his powered parachute as payment.

My dad took it up once, got to about 25 feet, landed, and never touched it again. (He's afraid of heights). Then he gave it to me. I still have it stored in the barn of my grandparents old farm and take it up in the Summer when I visit my folks. I live in a city about a mile from a major US airport, so I can't fly it here.
>>
>>928341
I think you mean a Propelled Para glider, or paramotor. Ab. to PPG

There is a difference but not much.
PPC requires a Sport Pilot certificate.
The safer PPG does not.
>>
>>928341
>>928574
My error, I remembered wrong, it's only two person aircraft that require a LSA.
PPG is statistically safer though.
>>
>>927933
Look up the regulations for ultralights (some countries call them microlights) if your plane can be classified as such, you'll get away with a lot less than one would need with a "normal" small plane
>>
My grandpa used to have an ultralight and we made a runway on his property where he could take off and land. The guy above is correct on the weight for an ultralight, no license, no radio, no registration, no nothing. My grandpas went 45 mph max and had no cowl, just aluminum tubing and fabric on the wings. He did buy this parachute that mounted inside a small tube and in an emergency you could pull the handle and the parachute would fire out the tube and it was connected to the center mast so in-theory it would drop you and the plane down together. He never did have to use it. Lucky bastard.
>>
>>927933
Are you from china ? then yes, otherwise no !
>>
Check out the "I-TEC Maverick".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEDJMfF2sk
>>
>>927933
bump
>>
File: 1409090476167.jpg (325 KB, 650x409) Image search: [Google]
1409090476167.jpg
325 KB, 650x409
>>930066
With weight restrictions you might want to look into the physics before you build, you might need to add weight in the nose for stability after construction. I wouldn't have the balls to fly a home built myself, they crash all the time.
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563 KB, 569x802
>>927933
Of course! you just have to file your flight plan with the agency. Oh and uh, you don't get to bring friends.
>>
>>928009
Beunos dias my friend!
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.