[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MAKING A DIY BOOKSHELF help me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: floating book.jpg (143 KB, 525x800) Image search: [Google]
floating book.jpg
143 KB, 525x800
Hey guys! Im interested doing a bookshelf. I would like to do a mini book shelf that wont take up too much space inside my bedroom.
Im new to /diy/ can you help me with the materials and tools i need and ideas(design) Thank you.
>>
>>927889
> can you help me with the materials and tools
Yes we can, if you show us your plans and tell us about your skills and available materails
>i need and ideas(design)
google "bookshelf", "cool shelf", "crazy bookshelf" or whatever. Pick a few designs, think about them, adapt them. Then present them to us. After that we can help you iron out potential problems.
>>
>>927903
Pic related sir. That design is cool with me.
>>
File: cheap wood shelf.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cheap wood shelf.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
a bookshelf is the simplest thing anyone can make. go to your local big-box store, look for shelving wood, it looks like the pic, and is typically 8-14 inches wide, by 8 feet long. the front side is covered in veneer so it looks good. you need 2 pieces for the sides, say 1'x5' and 5 pieces for the shelves, 1'x2'. for each shelf, drill 2 holes thru the side pieces, and drive 2-in screws thru the middle of the shelves, after drilling pilot holes. when you stand it up, it'll be all wiggly, so you need to add a cross-brace in the back to make it solid as fuck.
>>
>>927911
Everything you need is visible in the pic. What kind of material are you anchoring this into? Drywall?
>>
>>927919
Yep sir drywall
>>
>>927921
I'm not actually that good with this kind of stuff so I will let someone else reply. I guess you don't need to screw into studs though. No idea how much plastic wall anchors are rated for. It probably depends on the depth of your drywall too. If you figure out the depth then you should be able to determine how much weight the wall can take and therefore how far apart you need to have the brackets.
>>
>>927921
You can get drywall anchors that are rated up to 90lbs for standard thickness drywall. Should be fine with that.
>>
File: rDllO.jpg (3 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
rDllO.jpg
3 KB, 243x207
Use these to fix into drywall.

Anything else is crap unless you can fix directly into studwork or there's a pattress behind the wall.
>>
For the bottom shelf you could take an junk old book, open it and cut out some pages in relation to the width of brackets, then screw it through the top using the holes on the bracket
*it's floating!*
probably want to countersink the holes in the top book cover though
>>
>>927889
http://odditymall.com/wall-mounted-bookmark
Not a shelf but related
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.