[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
House gas line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Shinra_Logo.jpg (195 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Shinra_Logo.jpg
195 KB, 1024x1024
I stopped using gas years ago to switch to electricity only. The gas company closed and capped the meter for me as well.

Fast forward to 2016 some dude from the gas company says since we havent used it for like 10 years they need to excavate and cap the main pipeline underground for "safety resasons". I found this ridiculous. What if I want gas again in the future or sell the house to someone who does?

Is this a scam? Do they have legal right to do this? Wouldnt this bring my property value down?
>>
I ask on DIY hoping someone with construction knowledge (and maybe some legal knowledge) would help.
>>
>>927886
Totally helps. Because we're all mind readers and master stalkers.

So for an answer...

Yes.
>>
>>927900
You need to slow down and read, son.
>>
>>927885
So waste their time and money and hook up a gas cooker for a month.
>>
>>927904
Or a in ground gas grill outside... We had one for so long at my parents house. Lasted like 20 years. Before they had it ripped out because nobody used it... Most of the neighborhood it was like that. I always thought it was a good feature/idea.

>>927902
Nobody can give you a straight answer cause OP didnt say where he lived. Country/state information at least!
>>
>>927885
Yes it is a scam, they cannot legally do this because it is a utility and someone might want it in the future, if they would "cap" it they would just turn it off at the district distribution, there won't be any fucking around if someone's house is not using gas, so yes it's just a scam, just ignore them
>>
>>927936
They can in fact legally do this specifically BECAUSE they are a public utility.

It is a safety issue and this is common practice. The cost of the operation is generally born by the utility for line closures and connections. The search terms you're looking for are "pipeline abondonment" and regulations and rules vary at the state and federal levels.

In my state residential service abondonment only requires locking service interuption at the meter and complete disconnection of the house lines from service. Some states have additional laws and regs covering older unused abandoned lines. If you have an early 1900's house this old piping may be the reason for the mains disconnect.

As to decreased value of the home, this decision was already made when an electric furnace was installed. But it's effect on home value is negligable in comparison to the home's value as a whole.

Gas appliances and furnaces fetch higher house values because they're simply better experienced by the end users along with their increased installation costs.
>>
>>927962
Whoa thanks
>>
The utility company owns everything between thestreetand the meter, from the meter on it belongs to the house. Soyes, they can do whatever they want to their property.
>>
It seems to be so
REALLY
FUCKING
HARD
to specify location when you ask for legal questions. Are you guys just plain stupid or so fucking self centered that you can't fathom this?
>>
>>927962
This.

And the utilities comission considers having gas available to the property due to the presence of the gas main under the adjacent street. Generally there is a fixed fee they are allowed to charge to connect a new service, whether that requires re-using the old service line or installing a new one.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.