[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My room looks very bland and depressing - there's nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: 1439757356088.jpg (25 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1439757356088.jpg
25 KB, 403x403
My room looks very bland and depressing - there's nothing on the walls; it looks like some kind of a prison cell.
What kind of /diy/ projects would you recommend to decorate my room a bit? Something which involves space, science, tech and /v/idya related photos, led lights, RaspberryPi (I have one), speakers, etc. would be nice.
>>
The only thing you listed as having is a Pi.

Do you have other supplies? A budget? Any tools? Access to someone else's tools and knowledge of how to use them?

FFS give us something.
>>
Buy a canvas or two
>>
Get a custom stencil and paint your walls with a cool design in bright colors. Better yet make your own by hand with painters tape
>>
>>927802
Get some flowers. It helps tremendously.
>>
>>927802
Hang yourself and make your suicide note a Pi that blinks a LED in morse code.
>>
shelves with books.
>>
File: pi.png (123 KB, 1250x929) Image search: [Google]
pi.png
123 KB, 1250x929
Get this printed off.
Put it in a frame.
Hang it on your wall.
>>
>>927802
That pic is hilariously true. Reminds me of that error in the DOS days.

>Disk error reading drive A: (R)etry, (I)gnore or (C)ancel?
>C_
>C_
>C_
>C_
>C_
>*puts fist through screen*
>>
File: 1920.jpg (167 KB, 1148x435) Image search: [Google]
1920.jpg
167 KB, 1148x435
Get an aquarium.
>>
>>927878

THIS

high light planted tanks with co2 and ferts are pretty rad.

as are reef tanks.

both are expensive.
>>
>>927878
I will never understand how these things stay clean. I'd build something like that, but it'd get loaded down with algae and ruined in no time.
>>
>>928227
Scrape glass every 2 days.
Gravel vac the gravel weekly.
Pray you don't get any snail eggs in on those plants.
Pick off any algae on any other substrate every time you touch it.
>>
>>928227
> I'd build something like that, but it'd get loaded down with algae and ruined in no time.
So you're a retard who is too lazy to perform any tank maintenance? Is that what you're saying?

If you monitor and correct water chemistry, cleanliness, and manage light levels hitting the tank (reads, learn how to keep a fishtank) it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
Same issue, Finally got a room to myself and it looks shit and plain, I've got 500 euro, what are some great upgrades I could make?
>>
>>928237
>not quarantining everything for at least a week before introducing it into the main tank
ydi
>>
File: matrix.jpg (98 KB, 620x301) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
98 KB, 620x301
>>928372
You could make your own Blinkenlights by putting up an LED matrix on your wall.

>http://hackaday.com/2013/10/26/an-impressively-large-led-matrix/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hackaday%2FLgoM+%28Hack+a+Day%29

Use a RasPi to control it and program a few games and animations for it.

Here's a good tutorial an the matter

> http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/LED-Matrix

It's in German though, so you'll have to use Google Translate.
>>
Led strips light system instead of incandescent. It's cool and diy
>>
Go to thrift store buy random shit that looks cool
>>
get whiteboard. they are always good for doodling and planning new ideas
>>
>>928417
That's pretty cool,Defiantly better than my original idea of a few shitty posters, Thanks.
>>
File: DSCN1493.jpg (529 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1493.jpg
529 KB, 1600x1200
>>928417
>>928718
I did that in my apartment. Each panel is 24x 48 pixels and built with 5mm LEDs in 2' x 4' peg boards. It was a pretty cheap project but extremely time consuming soldering the matrices from scratch.

Projects like this >>928417 use pre-made 8x8 LED matrixes which are about $1 each online. That can add up fast if you want to cover a large area: 10x10 grid of them -> $100.
>>
>>928733
That's really impressive, when everything came together, what was the total cost?
>>
File: DSCN1084.jpg (525 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1084.jpg
525 KB, 1600x1200
>>929151
About $200 for all four panels. I needed 5000 LEDs which was $50 through AliExpress. The wood, paint, brackets, and diffusers were around $100, and everything else went to wires and control circuits.
>>
>>929278
I remember these. You created the patterns from video with java.
How big is each panel?
I'd be interested in any documentation like schematics and/or uC code.
>>
>>929294
Each panel is 4' tall 2' wide.

Code and schematics are here: https://github.com/RussellKramer/GreenDisplayBoards
>>
File: thanks.jpg (59 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
59 KB, 800x533
>>929323
Thank You!
>>
>>927878

DO NOT DO THIS.

AS THE POST THAT FOLLOW CLEARLY SHOW FISH TANKS ARE A HOBBY NOT A DECORATION!

DO NOT BUY A FISH TANK JUST TO MURDER FISH.

I swear more fish are killed by unmaintained fish tanks than the entire fishing industry.
>>
>>929403
Agreed.

It will take far more time and money that you expect or is reasonable for a decoration. Get a fish tank if you are passionate about keeping fish, or are rich enough to pay someone else to take care of it. Otherwise don't bother.
>>
>>929278
Thanks a lot man, I gotta give this a try
>>
>>927802

Make some white paper stencils which come together to make a large object when you stick them up on the wall. Pin LEDs to each piece.

Someone at my college made a 2x3m comet with a trailing tail. Comet red/orange, tail blue/purple. No individual piece was larger than an A4 page.
>>
>>929404
Surely there are hardy enough fish and almost autonomous tanks no?

I like the idea of a tank but not taking care of it.
>>
>>929751
I remember seeing "fish" tanks were sealed shut. They had some species of shrimp and algae inside them and it was supposedly self sustaining for several years
>>
File: living_the_dream.jpg (151 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
living_the_dream.jpg
151 KB, 800x600
Pic related is something to aim towards, OP.
>>
>>930091
i read an article about those a while ago, the guy that wrote it opened the one he got and checked what the water chemistry was and it was nearly toxic levels to the shrimp, he put them in an actual tank and had them breeding. Apparently the shrimp they use only live a fraction of their life span in the bubbles than they ever would in their natural habitat
>>
>>930250
holy fuck
>>
>>930250

That is like truly a whole lot of awesome right there...
>>
>>927802
What about some lighter non white paint?
>>
>>928417
>game of life

That's pretty awesome. Is it touch sensitive (IR/SAW) so that where ever you touch the surface it will start new cells? Because that would be awesome.
>>
>>928417
I made a cellular automaton on an 8x8 matrix once. I'd love to scale it up someday.
>>
>>927802
>my room looks very bland and depressing - there's nothing on the walls; it looks like some kind of a prison cell.
Sounds nice, I wish I had enough storage space for my sleeping quarters to be spartan, instead of a place where I store all my junky belongings.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.