[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have this spool of 12 ga pure copper, very high quality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: $_12.jpg (28 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
28 KB, 500x400
So I have this spool of 12 ga pure copper, very high quality speaker wire that I purchased more than a decade ago, back when copper was pretty cheap.

Can I use two pairs of these wires, encase them in some sort of sheathing, and terminate them with a plug and socket myself? The only thing holding me back are possible code violations and how insurance might react if there's a fire somewhere in the house. Though I'm sure that if I were to make this, it would be as perfectly safe as any other extension cord you can buy. I just want to stay by the book, just in case there's a retarded rule against using this sort of insulation in this speaker wire as an a/c mains cable or something.
>>
USA btw.
>>
>how insurance might react
Don't worry anon, because you'll be dead.

Have you ever felt old speaker wire after it's been sitting on the floor of a living room for a decade? I wouldn't trust that shit.
>>
insurancefriend here.

Depending on your carrier, you'll likely be covered as most policies cover general stupidity.

Enjoy it going on your claims history that a homeowner generally makes poor decisions like using speaker wire instead of wire designed to carry 120volts.
>your permanent record!
Yeah thats what it is, and its how actuaries set rates to insure your historically dumb ass.

Then, if you ever sold the place you'd have to upgrade it to code if it were installed to the house.

tl;dr don't be a dumbass, use speaker wire for speakers, and extension cords for extensions.
>>
File: DAVE3c.jpg (52 KB, 682x480) Image search: [Google]
DAVE3c.jpg
52 KB, 682x480
>Can't tell if troll
No, it is designed for low voltage applications. It has no ground and unsafe insulation. It is against code. Plus if it is quality speaker wire, it's worth more than what proper NM wire would cost. Just buy some proper wire if you need it. Don't ever skimp with electricity.
>>
120v wore is a solid copper strand speaker wire is not on the other hand I'm curiouse as to how long until it cought fire video or gtfo
>>
>>927737
Scrap it out & buy the right wire
>>
>>927737
Yes, I'd trust it for low current applications.
But should you? No.
>I've nigger rigged a battery to a cut battery cable with some speaker wire. But the cable was glowing red. Got me home though.
>>
>>927737
If you want to safe money, you should rather sell the copper buy some proper high voltage wire and keep the change.
>>
>>927737
you could make an extension lead out of it, who is going to stop you? i wouldn't put it in your walls or anything or leave it unattended at any time.

the only real difference is that the insulation wont be rater or approved for mains voltage so it could be dangerous or hazardous under some strange fault condition or something that probably won't happen ever. i doubt it would be thin enough to give you a shock under normal conditions.

another point is you don't know what the insulation is made out of, current generates heat and a 12ga cable running at maximum capacity will produce some amount of heat, you have no idea how this will affect the insulation.

finally as high grade audio cable (meaning it looks shiny) its probably worth a lot more than bog standard mains flex. depending on where you but it of course.

I have seen doorbell wire powering a fridge freezer. nobody died but that doesn't mean it was a good idea.
>>
OP it should be able to handle about 14 amps
Having said that unless you want to power your stove or heating elements off it you should be fine since most fuses in your home are 8 amps (not the stove and boiler ones they are 16)
I'm from Europe so this could all be wrong for your DC powered household.
The insulation should be fine, if it's decent quality 20 years ago it should be wrapped in a thick layer of silicone. Witch is better than most extension cords the Chinese will sell you. I wouldn't put it in to walls tho, as it may have a pretty big voltage by the time it hits the outlet.
>>
>>928023
>tfw I drove 200+ miles in someone else's car with out a battery at all

We couldn't even use the radio or turn signals/brake lights or everything would start to shut down. We had to use hand signals to turn and gearing to slow down for a stop. Fun times.
>>
>>928145
I'm sure the alternator was happy about that. Good to know that it worked though...
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.