[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: arc-length-faults-large.jpg (338 KB, 1000x793) Image search: [Google]
arc-length-faults-large.jpg
338 KB, 1000x793
Hi guys

With geology in the shifter I need to be coming up with a Plan B. Where should I start with welding if I want to get into a shipyard?

My CC offers as evening courses
Mig
Oxy acetalene
Tig
EN certified manual metal arc

Just need to catch the recruiters eye with a course
>>
>>926965
Doing what in a shipyard? I've worked on board, and if it's just doing basic work in a drydock arc welding is common, but oxyacetalene is used for bigger jobs and fabricating stuff.

I should note I wasn't involved with it personally, that's just what I've gathered from the crew and engineers doing stuff.
>>
>>926965
As an apprentice boilermaker, I'll tell you what u done to get here.

When i was still im high school, I worked for free for periods of time, it's called work experience. This allows the employer to assess you and somewhat train you. Do what they say and what they tell you to do.

I'm guessing you're out of school now so your best bet would be to go to TAFE (Trade school or equivalent) and get the certificates in welding, be a sponge and learn everything your instructor teaches you.
>>
I'm a ex welder now I'm a welding inspector / welding engineer go to your local collage get qualified and coded and then you will be sorted depending were yyour from get into refinery and power station work
>>
>>927027
Thanks, dunno just figure there's a shipyard here in Halifax and they've govt contracts so I might have a chance at hiring there.

>>927042
Nice one, I've years of other experience I can fiddle around to get their attention, just want some skills to offer.

>>927042
>>927065
So my local college offers those listed above, which would you recommend getting first? I have to do it as night courses due to having to work so need to start with one or the other

Thanks for replyin
>>
>>926965
i'd expect a shipyard to be almost entirely wirefeed (dualshield and sub-arc) because of productivity demands, but government boondoggles can result in some seriously weird shit.

they might be desperate for someone who's lloyds certified in atomic hydrogen chain-welding, or apprentice riveters with rock climbing experience. pick up the phone and ask.
>>
>>927178
Don't even bother with oxy acetalne I hardly ever used

If your looking at ship yards it will be mostly flux core or a solid wire mig process and sub arc for thicker sections

If you want power stations and refinerys you will need tig and stick as us Brits are scared of using a semi automatic process for pipe work every otge county I have worked in does but not the British

Get in touch with local compaines and try and get a foot in the door and work your way up don't go try hitting the big money yet get the exsperience first , as weld repairs are costly and may lead to the loss of your job

And just another tip you can't just walk I to a company as a welder you need to pass a weld test first if you do t pass the test you don't get a job

Hope this helps
>>
>>926965
>EN certified manual metal arc
the fuck is that suppose to be if you are refering to stick its shielded metal arc welding SMAW
>>927178
>So my local college offers those listed above, which would you recommend getting first? I have to do it as night courses due to having to work so need to start with one or the other
all position SMAW is the best all around ticket to get your foot in the door somewhere
>>927197
>i'd expect a shipyard to be almost entirely wirefeed (dualshield and sub-arc) because of productivity demands, but government boondoggles can result in some seriously weird shit.
you seriously think a shipyard is going to have you lug an entire sub arc assembly into the bowels of a ship to do out of poisition welding? have you ever even seen a sub arc machine? all the boat yards ive ever seen or been around is exclusively SMAW ground anywhere on the ship and drag your stinger and bring rods where ever you need to go
>>
>>927178

A lot of SMAW and Flux core in shipyards. In canada, CWB certification would be needed. The basic structural code, W4.7 I believe is a good place to start. I think maybe high-pressure welding tickets could come in handy too. A lot of pipes in ships
>>
Thanks guys night courses here I come
>>
>geology is in the shitter
Geology undergrad here, why aren't you pursuing it anymore? I'm guessing it's because oil jobs are quite shit right now.
>>
>>929236
I'll pursue it again, but there's a lot of out of work geologists around.

In a boom and bust industry like oil or minerals, it's a good idea to have a Plan B!
>>
What about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCLmrap83E
>>
>>927255
I used to work at a barge factory. They just kept the sub arc assembly in a box and lifted it into the cargo tanks via crane. You're right about it being useless for out of position welding though.

>>926965
I can't speak for other places, but if you want to build ships I suggest getting good at SMAW and especially with wire feed(FCAW and mig)
>>
>>926965
Welding ticket + Rope Access ticket = much cash + lots of fun outside!
>>
>>930361
Thanks man, I'm in. Rope access looks like it'll cost me €1000 per level so this better be a good investment
>>
Gonna buy a welder in a few days.
I learned basic stuff with a stick welder years ago. But I'm thinking of getting just a flux core wirefed MIG. I plan on doing just small jobs, small things and sheet metal.
There's stick to pick from too, and they're both Lincolns.

Sound Okay? Or would stick work just as good/better in this case?
>>
>>930698
Go with stick, flux core becomes super expensive In the long run, you can buy stick for less than a buck a pund if you don't mind unsealed stuff that was probably stolen from a contruction site
>>
>>930698
fluxcore is trash. if you're getting a wire welder get one that has a gas input so you can weld aluminum and regular mig
>>
>>930421
It might mean working at remote sites for a while, but the money is good if you can hack it. Once you get enough hours you can go for IRATA 3 and find a supervisor job for really good money.
>>
>>930718
this
>>
File: IMG_8661.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8661.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2248
Anyone remember me? I went to a local tech college and did a semester of once a week night classes for TIG.
>>
File: IMG_9216.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9216.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2248
>>931295
Here is some welds from a recent project.
>>
File: IMG_9188.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9188.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2248
>>931296
Some practice welds. Not perfect but solid and sound.
>>
>>931297
Cool. Do you expect to have to work for free to get a well paid job or is an apprenticeship possible?
>>
>>931296
>>931297
Cool. I'm currently in training and I'm looking to get into a welding course too.
>>
>>926965
that middle one is a pretty good bead....
>>
Do mig. Monkeys can handle mig.
>>
Do tig nothing beats tig <3
Bad and old picture didn't have the right filler so weld looks like shit :P
>>
>>931452
ouch. did you dish that with a ball pein hammer on a dirt floor?
lrn2 hydroform.
>>
>>931463
First time doing it :P
So yeah looks like shit but it was fun
>>
>>931367
If I was doing this as a main career I'd be trying to get an apprenticeship and doing full time training I need to learn a decent bit more to be a professional but I'm just doing this for hobby and to try get on my Uni's build team for the Solar Car Challenge.

>>931411
Nice definitely recommend doing an accredited course. I did some ones targeted to hobby/DIY and they weren't anywhere near as worth the time and money I spent.
>>
>>931902
Yeah I'd reckon those things are generally taught by hobbyists. Thanks man
>>
>>931902
>>932936
Guy looking on getting into welding/fabricating as a hobby, where do I start? I got a membership at a local hobby shop and they have a mig welder. But honestly I don't know what to start doing aside from just practicing beads. But after that I need tips or advice.

Also I feel like as a hobbyist I'll never actually be any good at this stuff. I'm so new everything seems so overwhelming. Feels like if you haven't been at it since you were young or make a career out of it you'll always be a novice. Like those home repair dads that just fuck everything up.
>>
File: 1445347477904.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1674) Image search: [Google]
1445347477904.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1674
How's my fix?
>>
>>933123
looks like you fixed the worst of it, yep.

but how did the bead get so fucked up and then go right back to normal after the corner, did the guy step on his torch lead while repositioning?
>>
File: 1434755355804.jpg (2 MB, 1952x3264) Image search: [Google]
1434755355804.jpg
2 MB, 1952x3264
>>933200
I'm actually not sure, I found it in the pile to go to the paint line, it was from a previous shift. I pulled it off the rack because it would have been sent back to me and fuck welding on painted metal.
I think the guy who put the part together didn't make sure the pieces were in the vice right when he sent it into the robotic welder. Why he didn't fix it I don't know. It was a terrible night because I had to check over all of the last shifts work.
>>
>>930698
Mig is hard as a fucking motherfucker on sheet metal, you're going to obliterate it unless you're a genuine master or have a very sensitive welder made for small shit.
Also flux core is expensive as shit
Learn how to stick weld, it's worth knowing. So is tig, to a lesser extent
>>
Someone who's looking to get into welding as a hobby.

Can someone recommend me some good reading material? A specific textbook perhaps?
>>
>>933916
Dunno but typing in welding into thepiratebay gets many hits
>>
>>933935
Well yeah that's kinda my issue. There's so much out there and I don't have time to read 500 books and 30 textbooks. I was wondering if anyone here with more experience than I could suggest something they know to be some high quality shit.
>>
>>933916
"Metals and How to Weld Them" gives very well done and detailed information about the technical knowledge surrounding welding mostly metallurgy surrounding welding as well as some basic materials engineering more than enough for any professional welder bar welding engineers. "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" is pretty much comprehensive and used as a reference for engineers. I've seen a good few other books but these two are the only ones I feel really worth it and you pretty much don't need anything else.

For welding technique books aren't the best medium. You're much better off watching videos. Look around youtube. ChuckE2009 is a bit inexperienced (compared to some others) but he probably makes the best videos for beginners. Jodie of Weldingtipsandtricks is a much more experienced welder but his videos tend to just be tips and tricks snippets, not nearly as comprehensive basics like ChuckE but some really since welding and arc shots. weld.com is good too but kinda has this cheap janky TV shot editing and direction. Other ones are hit and miss. Between those 3 tho there's definitely enough instruction and demonstration.
>>
>>926965
I work at a shipyard (HII in Virginia) the majority of our welders start out doing structural welds on carbon steel (stick or arc). There's trade schools and junior colleges that have courses available. It's likely that if you got hired, you're gonna thru our school to get qualified anyways - whatever skills you already have will help you get hired.
>>
>>933978
Christ know where I can track down a copy of Metals and How to Weld Them books that doesn't cost me $100?

I can't seem to find torrents or PDFs and the only ones I can find online are super expensive. I'd get it from the Lincoln electric website but I live in Canada and its $30 shipping for a $15 book.
>>
>>934111
oops, metals and how to weld them is east to find, meant the procedure handbook of arc welding
>>
>>934111
Tried The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation?
http://www.jflfoundation.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MHW otherwise I haven't found anywhere else apart from trying second hand through Ebay or amazon maybe? I borrowed from my uni library.
>>
>>934156
oops uuuh missed the reply. Even tho it's titled "Handbook" it's a friggen tome of a book and an important reference/textbook so $100 is really not that bad. http://www.jflfoundation.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PH
>>
>>931297
as you finish the weld, ease off the peddle slowly after adding a bit of filler. Those pinholes are where a crack will form, if the weld fails it will fail there
>>
I took a beginner welding class last semester and now an advance on this semester, part of my ag mechanics degree, but I seem to have a hard time getting a relaxed form a breathing when welding, and it can mess up my welds sometimes, I've tried holding my breath and short breaths and even long breaths but I just can't seem to find the right way to breath while welding.

So how do you guys breath while welding?
>>
>>934468
Can't lol. I'm using lift arc with no switch so I have to snap out. I think there my be some stray arc strikes too from snapping out badly.
>>
>>934482
In that case, what you do is speed up once you've finished the weld. Pull the puddle along fast enough to prevent full penetration but slow enough that a pinhole doesn't form as the deeper welding puddle freezes. When you're not burning very deep any more, THEN snap the arc. If you can't do that for some reason, "button" the crater. Snap the arc, then start again on the hole, add a bit of filler, then snap the arc again. Do this as fast as you can to avoid another pinhole.
>>
>>931295
thats some nice tig work there lou
>>
File: 413YJAtKFFL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
413YJAtKFFL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>>933978
that book is junk, pure junk you can get for free off youtube, try this
>pic related
>>
>>934473
Shallow breathing mostly.
Also if you have a good arm position you should be able to compensate for the movement of bigger breaths on your weld.
>>
>>934473
What I always did when I was welding is just kind of relax and flow. The breathing just came normally when I wasn't thinking about it. It's kind of hard to describe.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.