[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dank cheap tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: multimeter.jpg (870 KB, 2000x2348) Image search: [Google]
multimeter.jpg
870 KB, 2000x2348
Can we have this one?
Tools that doesn't cost as much as your kidneys on the black market, even tho they are good for hobby/day to day usage.

For example a good Fluke Multimeter costs 200$+, while you can get a so-so one from China for 50$.

Pic related - my multimeter bought from ebay for 40$
Good, fast reaction time on diode check, "hold" button just holds the current value on the screen (kind of pointless imo).
Doesn't have min-max which kind of suck.
Test leads are rated for CAT III for 1000V (20A)/CAT IV 600V (20A) and look like a good quality one (soft insulation, nice to touch probes, etc.) I wouldn't use it on more than 240V tho.
Comes with probes, leads with crocodile clips and thermal probe all in a decent zipper bag.
As you can see from images, chip on board IC, glass fuses, etc.
Powered by 2 AA batteries, event tho on the back it says it uses a 9V battery. I guess it cannot be made in China if there's no Easter eggs here and there.

Overall, serves me well for the meme low voltage shit i do at home.

If there's interest in the thread i can post more of my cheap gear.
>>
searching for some cheap osciloscope or something to check my 2 amplifiers and 1 preamp
>>
and some cheap regulated power supply with some power, but i want something that is tested i bought one from aliexpress and quilky stoped working
>>
>>926971
ebay.com
Best bet is to find an old analog scope. I bought three just in case someone was an asshole and sold me a broken one. IIRC I paid $16, $40 and $60 for each of them and they all work.
>>
>>926959
Almost bought the vc99 yesterday. But capacitor check only goes up to 2000uF.
Instead got a UNI-T for a few more dollars that can measure caps up to some crazy value.
>>
>>926979
yea, i also got a capacitor tester
could post naked pix if you are interested
post yours, btw
>>
>>926980
UNI-T UT139C

Also, China 858 hot air works better then it should for $40.
>>
Oh, I also have a China "feeltech" signal generator that works nice for $70.
>>
UNI-T 30v 5amp bench supply is also great for $70 shipped.
>>
File: tekpower_meter.jpg (187 KB, 780x1500) Image search: [Google]
tekpower_meter.jpg
187 KB, 780x1500
I got one of these off of AMZN for less than $40 US and have been very happy with it.

TekPower TP4000ZC PC based RS232-Interfaced Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter
>>
>>926959
>Test leads are rated for CAT III for 1000V (20A)/CAT IV 600V (20A)
They *claim* to be, but they almost certainly won't be. It's not going to be a problem for most people, but that's the difference between a cheap and an expensive meter.

The eevblog forum list of recommended multimeters thread has some cheap ones on it: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/a-list-of-recommended-multimeters/

If you think you need a more high-end meter, you should be able to get a second hand older Fluke from eBay for less than a hundred bucks.
>>
>>926971
In which country are you Anon ?

For audio, an "old" 20 MHz anolog second-hand will do the job (Hameg, Tektro, HP, Metrix, ITT, Schlumberger, Philips, Hitachi...)
>>
File: hanging.gif (980 KB, 305x320) Image search: [Google]
hanging.gif
980 KB, 305x320
>>927017
i'm trying to stay away from Dave's bullshit with giving reviews of 500$+ equipment and saying "this is meh because it smells like plastic"
This thread is for cheap, but decent equipment.
Don't get me wrong, if i made my monthly paycheck by this i would spend big money on high quality equipment, but as in my current state, fiddling with arduino powered dragon dildos, it's just pointless.
Plus, i rather fry 2-3 40$ cheapies while getting into electronics, than get on fire an expensive piece of equipment and hero myself (pic related).
>>
>>927021
Maybe you should have checked the link instead of being an elitist prick? No-one cares about your precious indie cred.
>>
>>927023
maybe you should fuck off and eat shit instead?
>>
File: captester.jpg (2 MB, 3050x3561) Image search: [Google]
captester.jpg
2 MB, 3050x3561
35$ kid of meme
measures capacitance only (no resistance)
good enough to test salvaged caps, tho
is it 35$ good enough? probably/hardly doubt it.
Obviously cant measure in-circuit caps, so it's kind of useless for fast/on-field diagnostics.
Suggest me a better cheap alternative with in-circuit capabilities
>>
>>927030
I would pass my self since I've seen the UT139C go for $38 on ebay and it does everything.
>>
EEVBlog and the Fluke boyz are full of shit. Dave even has his latest hobby meter more fucking blastproof and IEC fused than anything Fluke comes up with for linesmen.

Fact is the VC97,99,etc are all well within their CAT II rating - that is good enough to use on electrical devices within the building after the plug sockets.

Next time you want to go working on overhead pylons sure get a fucking Fluke and not a Dave meter.

Besides 99% of the market will use their VC99 on a fucking 5V Arduino.
>>
>>926979
How "quick" can they do it though? As the higher the F the longer the meter takes to measure - and anything over 2000uF does seem absurd to wait for the RC time.

Get a real LCR meter instead.
>>
>>927023
>instead of being an elitist prick
What like Dave Jones?
>>
I have the same meter as OP, bought it mostly for home stuff, if I need a real meter I can borrow one from work. I did take it in though, after some testing it turned out to be better equipped and as accurate as some of the older Fluke meters we have lying around.
>>
>>927021

He's right though. You're not special. If someone else wants to do the same they won't need you to find a cheap multimeter.
>>
>>927289
>If someone else wants to do the same they won't need you to find a cheap multimeter.
>implying that's the reason i made that thread
are you both bunch of retarded faglords that cannot understand why i made this thread?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.