[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this kind of kitchen faucet i am trying to teach young
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: delta-faucet-140-dst-chrome.jpg (9 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
delta-faucet-140-dst-chrome.jpg
9 KB, 400x400
I have this kind of kitchen faucet i am trying to teach young kids not to turn it on full blast when doing dishes and use less water Any idea ....

I know I can turn the pressure low but that wont teach them anything
>>
>>926797
>>
>>926797
Get a dishwasher.

Any solution that relies on everybody in the entire world doing something is not a good solution, particularly if that thing is annoying or inconvenient.

If you want to save water and energy washing dishes, then get a dishwasher. It can wash dishes better than you can, because it filters and recirculates the water instead of pouring it down the drain.
>>
>>926797
Maybe a switch that will actuate an electric fence unit if lifted too high?
Copper plate what mains positive hooked up screwed to wall behind faucet so lifting it too high completes the circuit to earth?
Bear trap screwed to wall in same position?

Possibilities seem endless, OP. Where's the hard bit?
>>
Glue a spoon under the spot the water hits the bottom of the sink. Turning water on gently will result in a mild sprayback, not enough to drench the place, just enough to remind the user to swivel the faucet a few degrees.

Turning the water on full blast will result in a spectacular soaking for the careless user. Cleaning up the resultant spill will reinforce the lesson.
>>
>>926797
Get a taser and zap them every time they turn the water on too hard.

>>926810
This, all kidding aside. Hand-washing dishes is extremely resource and time inefficient and should only be done when absolutely necessary. Teach them how to load a dishwasher properly.
>>
>>926797
Or quit being a little bitch and tell the fucking kids not to turn the water on too high. It's really not difficult.
>>
>>926797
get a job so you earn enough that you don't worry about petty bullshit like this and aren't freaking out over an extra $2 on your water bill
>>
>>926812
this is what /diy/ should be more like.
>>
Add razor blades above the faucet so they would open it carefully
>>
>>927184
>because wanting to limit water use is all about saving money, and couldnt be about saving water for environmental reasons.
>>
>>926797
Smack them up side the head when they use too much water at any one time. If they don't learn after 3 times, drown them and stop having children.

>>926810
It is better to get rid of the dishes in the first place. No dishes = no water used to wash dishes.

Sandwich & flatbread master race.
>>
>>926797
if you are into plumbing you can just add a pressure reducer under the sink. you don't need high pressure on your taps anyway do you? what for? i have a miniature hosepipe under my sink that will reach just about anywhere on the ground floor of my house in case of fire so don't tell me filling up saucepans for firefighting.

on the end of the nozzle where the water comes out there might be a screw on thing that makes the water come out funny, an airator or something. you can unscrew it and replace it with a water saving one which again reduces the aperture essentially and therefore pressure

>washing dishes in the sink
>get a dishwasher

ffs dont you realise its the 21st century?
what am i some fucking pleb washing my own dishes?
and do you really want to crawl around filling a dishwasher with salt and shit and it all stinking of shit and ruining your posh glasses?

you have one set of fancy tableware that you never use because you never have people over and the rest of the time you just use kids paper party plates and cups, then just throw them in the trash. or recycling i guess if you are some eco freak. great fun with all the different designs they have. supermarket near me has a pirate set which is really cool.

but i fully support you making your kids wash dishes. good for you.
>>
>>927603
Why do old people type stupid like this?
>>
>>927607
>old people
nope
>>
>>927609
40 isn't old anymore?
>>
>>927611
im nowhere near 40 you cheeky cunt
>>
>>927607
GTFO /diy/ right now. You don't belong here.
>>
>>927607
I think this was posted by the OP's son.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
>>927607
> He doesn't realise a solid percentage if this board the board is 40+
> He thinks it's all 19 year old's handing out god tier info on construction, mechanics, electrics and the myriad of other topics we see here.
> He can't form a counterpoint so he falls back to ad hominem

Get the fuck off my lawn you little shit.
>>
My water bill was 11 bucks last month. That includes trash and mosquito whatevery that is. I live in North Dakota
>>
OK, looks like this will be the first *helpful* answer...
I had this problem when my young kids wanted to play with their water toys in the sink - mostly hotwheels cars that change color with warm or cold water...
anyway, you can turn the shutoff valves half way or 3/4 of the way off. this does restrict the amount of water that can get to the faucet. they can turn the faucet handle all the way on but the flow of water will not increase beyond what is being allowed thru the shutoffs. of course when you do want to run the faucet at full tilt you will have to turn the valves back all the way open.
so maybe not a *convenient* solution but it will do the trick and does not involve doing anything other then turning two valves.

for what its worth I do not have a dishwasher either (by choice). four of us in the house and its really not such a super big deal to wash the dishes 'by hand'. seriously, takes but 15, maybe 20 minutes tops.
and just as an added bonus; no garbage disposal either.
>>
I have a GE dishwasher that's loud as hell and it takes an hour to wash the dishes. I just do it by hand.
>>
>>926797
tape a rubber band to the handle
>>
>>927708

Move to Washington state, the land of rain. My bill is 100.06, _minimum_ using no water. Cities suck
>>
>>927462
Water comes from stream/ lake, goes through pipes to your faucet.
Water goes down drain, through pipes and goes back to stream/lake after treatment.
What's the problem?
>>
>>926797
Fucking tell them not to?
I don't get it.
>>
>>928717
you are 16 right?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.