[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ I have a few questions and I'd appreciate some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2
File: 1385636447850.png (355 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1385636447850.png
355 KB, 500x447
Hey /diy/
I have a few questions and I'd appreciate some help on these:

I recently bought some InstaMorph and another brand of polymorph Plastic along with a Dremel rotary tool.
End goal is shaping a rough prototype for my idea.

What are the best materials/tools for prototyping in the early stages?
I want to eventually just print off of 3d printers but for now I need to get the first design to size.

I was thinking of shaping out wood to the pieces I need then molding the plastic but that seems like so much work.

ANy help on working on hardware/electrical/arduino, etc would be helpful
>>
>>926780
Buddy it's all depends on what you're making.
If you're making a housing for a device that's as big as a TV or a microwave, you can go with wood, since its secure long lasting relatively light.
If you're making something the size of a cell phone wood would be bulky. maybe use aluminium sheets if you know how to shape them. these are somewhat sturdier and look more solid but are a bitch to put together if you cant weld.
If your set on plastics, use a polyester resin and fiberglass and cut it to shape with a dremel for your thin case if it's just a case and not functional parts.
Can't help you much if you're vague as fuck
>>
File: JUSTDOIT.png (208 KB, 620x682) Image search: [Google]
JUSTDOIT.png
208 KB, 620x682
>>926806
I didn't want to be too specific and have people bag on me.
I want to eventually make a bluetooth solar interior lighting system w/ app for entertainment lighting.
I plan on using those new flat LED styling lighting.
I'm keen on plastics because I want to be able to remold and remodel new designs if the first doesn't work.

I've never worked with fiberglass or any resins before, what tools would I need?
I also plan on making my own cosplay gear this year so I'm building a small area on the side of my house for projects.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.