[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, hope you can give me some advice. I got this old Dremel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: IMAG0458.jpg (285 KB, 1344x681) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0458.jpg
285 KB, 1344x681
Hey guys, hope you can give me some advice.

I got this old Dremel tool from my deceased grandad. So I don't have a manual or anything. I use it for a lot of stuff and love it, but lately it's started to give off a high pitched whine using it. It sounds like it just needs to be lubricated.

Do any of you know where i can squirt some of the lube into? I don't want to ruin this thing if i can avoid it.
>>
File: oil.jpg (95 KB, 574x294) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
95 KB, 574x294
>>
>>926747
Don't oil it. Use thick grease like lithium bearing grease. You can get it from bike stores for 1$. That said, get it on the armatures or brushes and you're fucked. There's probably a bearing kit or it could be failed electrical. What kind of whine?
>>
>>926750
Just right down in there? Just put a couple drops in there and run it?

>>926751
So would I have to take the whole thing apart?
>>
File: IMAG0459.jpg (176 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0459.jpg
176 KB, 1344x760
>>926753
forgot pic
>>
>>926754

Yea, like a drop or two. Nothing more.
>>
OP, the arrow on the far left is a vent for cooling
The middle arrow is where the commutator brushes go.
the far right arrow is another air vent for the motor rotor.

Oil goes in none of them. IIRC most rotary tools have sealed bearings and oil does not go into any of them.

They're $40 tools built for about $6 overseas designed to be disposable at the end of their useful lifespan. In order to eliminate the high pitched whine you may want to scrub the commutator, replace the brushes, and as a last resort replace the bearings as these likely aren't faulty yet.

tl;dr oil doesn't go into dremels.
>>
>>926772
>sealed bearings and oil does not go into any of them
lying on the internet?
Oil will penetrate between the seal and the bearing rings no probs. Grease wouldn't (unless it's heated and turned into liquid)
>>
>started to give off a high pitched whine
thats the sound of the brushes wearing down. you're gonna need to replace them. wait too long and it'll start tearing up the contacts on the spinning rotor part.
>>
>>926753
You will have to take it apart to diagnose it. Don't put oil into any of the holes on the outside, apply lithium or molybdenum grease to the bearings if required. At a guess though your problem is either a worn out bearing or (as others have said) worn down brushes.

Both will require replacement parts, but they should be fairly cheap, if you can find the right ones.

If this is a cheap tool, it's probably time to get a new one.
>>
>>926772
The old ones would last a lifetime- the new plastic ones won't hold up to commercial level use.
>>
>>926881
This. I have an old dremel exactly like this one. You can buy the replacement brushes for them. Just use a screwdriver to open the plug indicated by your middle arrow. The plastic circle will eject and you will have the circular ice of plastic, a spring assembly, and the old carbon brush in your hand. Just replace the square carbon brush with a new one and reassemble it. Problem solved.

>>926924
Again, I have this same model. I bought it in '97 and it still runs today, after literally thousands of hours of use.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-08-10-03-11.png (337 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-08-10-03-11.png
337 KB, 1080x1920
>>926928
Pic related.

OP, don't put any oil or grease in it.
>>
>>926928
>>926929
This guy is smarter than me and probably more sober than when i was posting. Brushes, contacts, yeah. Try that.

>>926877
You're probably thinking shielded bearings since oil can creep into those. Sealed bearings are sealed with a rubber washer and are fairly decent at keeping things out and designed to never me maintained or oiled as they're packed with grease.
>>
File: Drem_cerm_005.jpg (102 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Drem_cerm_005.jpg
102 KB, 800x600
>>926747
You have to take it apart to try to oil the bearings.

Take the brushes out first, or else they'll shoot out when you move the two halves of the case apart....

You can either oil or grease the bearings. Oil can just be applied to the shaft, so it will seep inside the plastic seal. Grease might be better to use but you have to pull one of the seals out for that.

You can't replace the bearings in a Dremel without machine tools, I know because I've done it (pic related, one of the middle steps in the process, showing the original bearings removed)
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>926877
>lying on the internet
Lies make Baby Internet cry
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.