[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's y first time here. My father and I are renovating our
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 278988.jpg (49 KB, 450x319) Image search: [Google]
278988.jpg
49 KB, 450x319
It's y first time here. My father and I are renovating our upper and lower porches in accordance to the preservation board of our city. We're not that well off, so he has to do it himself, and I try to help, but I don't know a lick about this.

From what he tells me though, the people are trying to run a game on him. For instance, though he got permission to continue with the project, the board was 'displeased' because he didn't come to them for the okay, despite the fact that we would lose the house if he didn't, and if they said no.

Like I said, I don't know anything about this. I'm just going to try to help him draw up sketches and plans with my limited artistic abilities. Do any of you have tips for home improvement, or dealing with city officials and the like?

Apologies if this is the wrong board for this; he's intent on searching for the information himself, I am just trying to do what little I can and ask around, as he doesn't have any time to spare for it.
>>
>the board was displeased
sounds more like they were displeased because if you did it incorrectly you would have wasted your time, and if you present your project to them beforehand you will know if what you're doing is acceptable. So I would be displeased too, if I was on that committee given I have a conscious and wouldn't want someone to lose their house for a frivolous reason.
>>
>>926622
Thank you for your the comment. It's my understanding that they were displeased because, though he got the go ahead, he didn't meet with them with plans and such. Which I can understand.

I certainly hope they're as like-minded as you, and not the, admittedly, callous higher ups I picture them to be in my head. Though I have to reiterate, I am not the one doing this, my father is. I'm just trying to collect information to help.
>>
>>926617
>dealing with city officials and the like

Building officials are usually power hungry twats. I am an engineer, so they have no real power over me other than delaying my client's project. None the less, bend over backwards for them and make them feel important.

Alternatively, pic related.
>>
Sometimes i'm glad i live in 3rd world shithole, when nobody cares what you do with your property as long as you buy a generic/default building plans.
User manual is for dummies.

t.Bulgarian
>>
>>926879
I would not say I envy you, but it can be a hassle. Our neighbor is the the neighborhood bitch, always sticking her nose into everything, trying to order people around. What their houses should look like, their lawns, even the trees around them. It was because of her we had to cut down our sumac trees, the only ones left in the neighborhood, as they were indigenous (forgive me if that is the wrong word), and replaced by maples. This was because the tree, and even we, my father and I, did not fit in.

I wouldn't put it past her to be the reason why we have to jump through these hoops. Once, she was complaining why our ratty old garage wasn't being inspected when in fact it had, and passed, and the problem lied with hers. If in your land, the neighbors let each other live as they may, then I DO envy you, even in the slightest bit.
>>
>>926617
Engineer here. Pretty much do what you can to keep them happy, but realistically they don't have much power besides delaying projects. Do you have an engineer or architect involved?
>>
>>927186
No, just my father and myself. He actually takes great joy in doing this; he has a history of fixing up houses, to my knowledge, at least 3. However, I was hoping anyone who had experiences with things like this would know of the pitfalls and hoops he may have to jump through. Fortune favors the prepared and all that.

For instance, in one of the documents he researched/was given, off the top of my head it makes mention of cut sheets, and several other things we don't understand. The task just seems really daunting, but I want to help my father.

Oh, also, we have an architectural scale, as we'll need to make sketches/drafts of the repairs, to scale, and I assume write a veritable catalog of the items required along with their descriptions and uses, which is what I believe the cut sheet is for.

Looking it up, and it's difference from a spec sheet is baffling, although I was able to find an excel template someone made for a cutsheet used for street repair. I wonder if I can repurpose it or something.
>>
>>926879
I'm sure if your home was some bulgarian castle they'd care. Their job is basically pest control.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5OyY2ZCQc
>>
I've been dealing with inspectors lately on a foreclosure I bought. I noticed a few variety of techniques while standing in line. Acting like a possible serial killer and wasting most of their day on the absolute absurd seems to work just as well as bending over backwards. When it finally time to pay for a permit; play on your phone for 10 minutes. Ask unrelated questions. Complain about things like the grocery store. become enraged about something. this waist time they could have spent sleeping at their desk. eventually they give up. its really an art
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.