[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gloss for a wodden box
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1452054830255.jpg (1 MB, 1167x1143) Image search: [Google]
1452054830255.jpg
1 MB, 1167x1143
I'm painting several wooden boxes with oil paints and I've been trying to figure out what the best kind of varnish is to use. I want a glossy look like the wooden cutouts in the pic I posted, how do I achieve this look?
>>
I often use wipe on gloss polyurethane, take your time and apply a ton of coats (like 10 or so) lightly sand with 600-800 grit every 3 coats just to remove any high spots or dust nibs.
That alone will get you a nice gloss, but for the best gloss let the poly cure for at least a week, then come back with some automotive wax and a buffer. That sumbitch will blind you when the light hits.
>>
>>926662

Is gloss polyurethane safe to use on oil paints though?
>>
>>926612
i have no answer for you, but nice work there!
>>
>>926829
If the paint is dry, yes.
>>
>>926829
>>927135

I agree, as long as the paint is fully dry and your first few coats are just a light wipe (meaning you aren't scrubbing the poly onto the piece, you just give it a quick once over)

If you go nuts with the first few coats the mineral spirits could eat the paint a bit, so don't go globbing it on. Keep it thin and light. Do like 3 coats a day or something, with a light sanding of 600 grit every morning. You'll be just fine man.
>>
What type of oil paint ? Like artist oil paint or like industrial oil based paint. Industrial paint would be fine with some form of clear coat. Artist paint is getting into sketchy(ha) territory on generic hardware store clear coat. If artist paint, look into "mediums" might be something to look into. Artist oils stay workable for a long ass time.
>>
>>927117

These aren't actually mine, I just need a reference for the type of gloss I wanted

>>927169

They're artist oil paints, that's why I was skeptical of using industrial grade gloss on them. I've used Windsor and Newton gloss varnish made for oil paints, but I haven't been able to get that super clear and smooth finish, it always comes out super textured. But maybe I need to adjust my technique.
>>
>>927463
Why don't you paint a sacrificial piece of scrap board with the paints you're using to test out various finishes? You can test out the multiple coats and sanding process on it. Choose the best looking one for the pieces.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.