[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ I'm customizing this old wood box and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: DSC_0259.jpg (529 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0259.jpg
529 KB, 2592x1944
Hey /diy/

I'm customizing this old wood box and I want to reverse-stain a design on it and I guess I should check before making any mistakes

I've already sanded the old ink out and the rest just because, and I'm gonna
>Cut a design in vinyl with a plotter
>Stick it on top
>Stain the wood a darker color
>Wait for it to dry
>Remove vinyl
>Apply clear varnish
>Interior stuff

is there anything i should take in account? Can the wood stain bypass or filter beneath the vinyl layer and ruin my design? I don't have any experience with staining wood before and I don't wanna ruin my first work
>>
File: i'm trying okay.png (1 MB, 1037x778) Image search: [Google]
i'm trying okay.png
1 MB, 1037x778
if I do it correctly and my method doesn't have any big issues, this is what I'm going for

don't mind the bad photoshop job
>>
cool design, one thing you might want to look out for is the wood sucking up the dye too much and then cause leakage along the fibres of the wood at the edges of your design.

You definitely want to grind the wood properly to ensure a good seal. Then go for a proper masking tape (test some on a more insignificant piece of wood, before you use it on your precious box)
>>
>>926538
are there any ways to prevent leakage into the covered part? I've heard using shoe polish is my best bet since it's a drier method but I wouldn't know
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21HHL_aLE7U
>>
>>926510
I'd also use some sort of grain filler stain pre-treatment. It'll bleed less and also keep the grain from really popping (due to filling with stain) and messing up your design.
>>
File: step 2.jpg (110 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
step 2.jpg
110 KB, 960x720
well i mean
it's as good as it's gonna get i guess
had to simplify the design by a long shot because the vinyl cutter tore the things to shreds with the smaller designs ;-;

but hey at least it's something, right
i'll give this a coat of clear varnish after it finishes drying and do the interior next
>>
>>927449
Looks good, man. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
>>
File: step 3 (2).jpg (82 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
step 3 (2).jpg
82 KB, 960x720
some more progress, i'm gluing the cloth interior now but the whole thing requires some more cleanup after the glue dries

while we're at it, what's a good way to keep it closed? I was thinking of using two bronze tacks and a small thread because I couldn't find a latch that small but idk
>>
File: step 4_1.jpg (108 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
step 4_1.jpg
108 KB, 960x720
well, it's done!

I might add something later to close it more easily but this is looking pretty good now
>>
File: step4_2.jpg (112 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
step4_2.jpg
112 KB, 960x720
>>927923
and an interior view with my dice in their new home
>>
That's cool dude. I thought the photoshop was a storebought one you were emulating at first.

Maybe just add a little tack with a grabbable head on the lid and embed and glue in two magnets to hold the lid down?
>>
>>927958
that's actually a pretty good idea
i've been trying to get a small latch or at least some magnets to get it to close, and this is a pretty cool way to approach it
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.