[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Locksmiths of /diy/, how hard is it to pick a lock in real life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: blood banking.png (216 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
blood banking.png
216 KB, 1360x768
Locksmiths of /diy/, how hard is it to pick a lock in real life outside of meme shows that do it five seconds? What is the most discrete way to destroy a lock?

I'm writing a novel and I want it to be not shit.
>>
>>926448
By novel do you mean bike?
And by writing do you mean stealing?
And by shit do you noticed?
Nigger stick to Harry Potter
>>
>>926453
>epic nigger may-mays
Stick to /pol/, kiddo.
>>
>>926448
>writing a novel
>no character stats
>not rolling for success
Anywhere from 30 seconds to fuck it, I quit. Typically a locksmith will make a magic show out of it, errecting a curtain and everything. A nigger will just kick the door in. And anywhere requiring a door that a single nigger can't kick in will use locks that can't be simple picked in 15 minutes.
>>
>>926448
It is difficult enough to pick a lock that it isn't worth it if you're just stealing shit.

It's not so difficult that you couldn't teach yourself to do it, but it will take closer to 5-30 minutes than the 3 seconds movies show it taking.
>>
>>926448
The easiest way that a company can fail a pentest is for the penetration agent to just walk up, have a smoke with staff outside, then follow them in.
>>
>>926455
Well maybe I will stick to /pol/
But at least I won't be dealing wit ha thumbr twilight ripoff.
Also raking locks will get you past shitty low end door/pad locks the quickest. Pin dislocation for more high end stuff but this takes more time depending on how practiced you are. Bolt cutters for pad locks. Cutting power will ether lock electronic locks in place or open them depending on the design. Hotel lock doors open during a power outage. Magnetic card locks are easy to clone on the go with a decent reader/writer and a laptop.
I hope you get Robert Pattinson to play your gay vampire character.
>>
>>926453
Come on if op was a proper nigger he wouldn't be asking how to do it discreetly, he would do the usual and just chimp out, ripping the bike from the lock and breaking it in the process. But never mind because you can still sell the wheels and the frame as scrap.

>>926455
Stick to /b/ if you want to ask about stealing bikes kiddo.
>>
>>926462
Shims for padlocks. Even a lot of "shimproof" padlocks have videos on YouTube of them getting shimmed.
>>
>>926448
Don't be a thieving nigger.
>>
>>926462
Forgot to mention. old school ward locks used on some older offices. These can be opened with a skeleton key. easy to make out of a sheet of aluminium. Still present in most hospitals and pharmacies for offices that don't hold drugs and stuff. These are in place really just so patients don't wonder in when doctors have their brakes.

>>926467
This works too

>>926466
Maybe his just half black? Still has the need to steal but white enough to be a prison bitch
>>
>>926453
>>926469
>>926453
When does 4chan try to be so moral faggy under the guise of being purist racists to make moralfaggotry cool?
>>
>>926448
It takes time. The only real advantage to lock picking is it isn't as conspicuous as breaking a window, and even then there's a balance between how fast you want to do it and how much evidence of your break in you want to leave. Raking the pins is relatively fast and easy to do but it scratches the pins leaving a ton of forensic evidence, while single pin picking is a lot slower and skill intensive but doesn't leave as much obvious scarring.

If you're stealing shit you probably value your time more than how much of a mess you make, lock picking is more for when you have a legit reason for preserving the lock.

Really if you want to break into something, find the weakest link. >>926458 is a good example, classic foot in door tactics can get you places.
>>
>>926466
He didn't ask how to do it discreetly.
>>
>>926480
>He didn't ask how to do it discreetly.
Well, as OP, I thought that was implied.
>>
>>926455
>posting the ebin wreak a lock discreetly may-may
>not especting the niggabikestealer may-may
>>
>>926462
>Hotel lock doors open during a power outage
This is not true.

They're battery-powered, with the batteries on the outside so you can't get locked out. If they were mains powered, there'd be a mains cable running to them, and there isn't.

The keycards are signed with a private key corresponding to a public key burned into the lock, and contain the number of the lock they open, and a sequence number.

The lock will only open for a key that:
- has the right signature
- has the right lock number
- has a sequence number equal or greater to the highest the lock has seen

Modern locks, taking the battery out doesn't reset the sequence, because it's stored in flash. Older locks go into a panic mode and need to see a key marked with "I know your battery went out, this is the sequence number".

Because of the sequence numbers, the guy that had your room yesterday can't get in your room today. Because of the public-key encryption, no-one can use their card to make other cards.
>>
>>926467
Not true.

You want to make a shimproof padlock, all you do is use ball bearings instead of a springloaded catch, and a rotating cylinder with cutouts instead of catch-retractors.

You cannot shim this design. Period.

You can't shim it because whilst the lock is locked, there's nowhere for the shim to push the balls into. It's not a matter of using the right shim: simple physics prevents any shim from ever working.

So why don't all locks do this? Because with this design, you need the key to shut it as well as to open it. You can't just click it onto things. The lock has to be either key-retaining or have a cutout in the bolt so you can lock it open.
>>
>>926484
I have literally cloned magnetic cards for my building main door. The land lord gave me 1 and wanted an insane amount of money for more of them. So much so that I got a reader/writer and a stack of cards and made my own copies. and it still cost me less than what the greedy faggot wanted
Yeah super high security lock have asymmetric encryption, but most of these locks are placed on shitty main doors that get a lot of use and ware like bathrooms and hall doors. Since people don't want to replace the mechanism every time someone forces a wrong key in.
The hotel thing happened to me in a cheap ass hotel, better ones have better systems I'm sure.
>>
Is a material like a generic silly puddy acid or a meltable skeleton key that can be used to discretely melt the inside of a lock?
>>
>>926495
That'd probably just jam up the lock.

You want to shatter the cylinder, not liquefy it.
>>
>>926499
>You want to shatter the cylinder, not liquefy it.
How do you do that?
>>
>>926448
You can get a lock pick kit very cheap nowadays so I would reconnection you try it a few thousand times. At first is hard just like anything else but at Hackathons they have speed races at lockpicking so it can be done very fast. Knowing the type of lock makes it easier to know what to do.
>>
>>926502
Well, you could drill through the cylinder where the pins are, which breaks the pins and frees the cylinder allowing you to twist and open.

Or something to that effect.

You're looking to defeat the pins, they're what keeps the lock from rotating freely.
>>
>>926448
Pretty easy on used locks. If a lock is used every day for a month or more, its stupid easy to rake it open. Also, deadbolts are easier, they usually turn the same way, and you don't have to worry about turning the handle with the cylinder.

I was showing my boss at work how easy it was. The first time, I walked him through it slow, it took about a minute. When I did it for real after that, it took 7 seconds.

I can usually get in a used dead bolt well under 30 seconds.

Granted, these probably aren't high security locks, but one was at the factory I worked at, the others have been at my university.
>>
>>926517
Well usually you don't use pin and tumbler for actual important things.

Or if you do, it's actually augmented by some pretty nasty clusterfuck technologies because vanilla pin and tumbler is rather trivial to defeat.
>>
>>926517

All the locks in my area rust pretty quickly so even if you have a key you tend to have to put a good bit of force into it.
>>
>>926448
A while i bought a lockpicking set. I have been messing around with some padlocks, but desu i have not been able to open a single one. This is of course because i am terrible at it, but unless you are either really lucky or really skilled then no, you cant open a lock in 3 seconds. And if you are able to do it then we are talking about raking, rocking or bumbing. Not single pin picking.
>>
>>926480
>What is the most discrete way to destroy a lock?
am i being rused or do you need glasses anon?
>>
oh my god i dont know what silly putty acid is or a meltable skeleton key but i want those now
>>
>>926484
*equal to or greater than
>>
>>926564
I think you may need glasses. Nowhere in the OP is any word with the meaning of 'discreet' used.
>>
>>926587
very good anon.
hook line and stinker.
>>
All your lockpicking answers questioned:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill
>>
>>926448
Google "Bump key". Probably the fastest way to pick a lock unless you're some sort of lock wizard.
>>
>>926458
This literally made me laugh out loud

I can see this happening so easily...

Hell, one of the employees might even hold the door open for you
>>
Aren't there "guns" that can pick locks?

Just slide front of gun-thingee into lock and pull a trigger?
>>
Aren't there "guns" that can pick locks?

Just slide front of gun-thingee into lock and pull a trigger?
>>
>>926633
What You have in mind is "raking" lever lockpick - these things work well if You want to pick up a lock from the wood shed or some shitty home, but they wouldn't work against better locks. Also - they way they open the locks is somewhat risky because of the raking motion they perform which may cause lockpick to break and stay inside a lock.
>>
>>926626

Can confirm that shit works. I've entered several buildings for differing reasons by any number of test-the-idiot methods.

1) Pretending you can't find your badge/keycard, Wait for someone to walk to the door as your rummaging through your bag/pockets/wallet, let them open the door then say "ah, thanks!" or similar. Got into a residential flat through three different locked doors by this method.
2) Just walk in with a group and pretend your going somewhere. This actually works, if nobody pays you any attention. Gained access to some meetings this way.
3) High-visibility. Wear a hard-hat, high-vis jacket and you can walk into just about anywhere. Bonus points for carrying a clipboard, toolkit, being on your phone, or having a bogus ID for a company. Entered a few industrial locations dressed in work gear and never got challenged. If you encounter a locked door you need to get through, talk into your phone until someone comes through and then just walk through like you've been waiting or something.

Seriously, most people don't give shit one or are just too busy to notice. If you get challenged on it, hand over a fake business card proporting to be a security expert testing their security, tell them to give you a call and you'll talk them through how they did. Then walk away. Fast. Luckily I never got challenged doing these things though, always kept an eye on the people around me to make sure nobody was looking keen and bushy eyed when i went through a door.
>>
>>926633
A snap gun?

Well they're kinda hard to conceal due to how distinct they are, but they're pretty damn fast. They smack the pins and bounce the underlying springs to free the lock using the same fundamental principle behind key bumping.
>>
>>926687
>I've entered several buildings for differing reasons
Please list them, have you been stealing stuff?
>>
>>926572
>silly putty acid
>meltable skeleton key

These don't exist
>>
>>926687
That sounds badass, kinda wish I had the balls to do that. I'm not a broke nigger and don't need to steal to make a living anyway though.
>>
>>926502
If playing Splinter Cell has taught me anything about life: a very thin explosive rod inserted into the lock.
>>
>>926572
Well hell, this is /diy/, you should invent them.
>>
>>927060
Yeah there's that, but I think that's fiction being fiction.

This being SC, a franchise where the NSA has secret agents armed with gadgets that'd probably be at home in Daniel Craig era James Bond. The explosive lockpick straddles the line between making sense and being questionably bullshit as to whether or not it really works.

Besides if you have access to the materials needed to try and make an exploding pick, you could probably just make a breaching charge instead and blow a hole through the door.
>>
>>927084
Nah, it's legit, but most of the time irl a small bit of explosive putty is used instead of some special rod explosive.
>>
>>927134
That's bullshit but I believe it.
>>
>>926448
>Writing a book

What genera?
What age/technology level?

Locks from 200 years ago, follow similar methods, but won't be as difficult. I.e le retro cuck skeleton key necklace le fashion.

Whatever diy tells you, adjust for the age and level of sofistication. Hands on experience helps, but if youre writing in the past, you can call an old locksmith. Just call a business with a decent history, ask for any old timers and explain what your doing and that you need to understand how it was done × years ago. Worked wonders when I needed to write about blowing a 60 year old pioneer furnace.
Also, pay the guy for his time. Don't be a dick.
>>
>>926448
got a lock picking set a little while ago and have been trying to pick locks around the house
Managed to pick one of those small padlocks in a matter of seconds just by raking
couldnt unlock the door in reasonable time so I just quit
Ill try again another time, but I think it just depends on the lock itself
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.