[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Straight Six Sorrows: The third
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 20160106_183204.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_183204.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hey, /diy/. Though I haven't plucked the engine out of the Windsor and onto a stand yet, I've been keeping myself busy while I wait on getting a hoist. I just managed to remove both the intake and exhaust manifolds, and exposed the covers to what I guess is the valve train. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was totally free from rust, but upon closer inspection, I noticed that one of the valves is stuck open.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I gave the valve a couple light taps with a rubber mallet, but it didn't seem to move, so I guess it's pretty well seized up.
>>
File: 20160106_183234.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_183234.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I'll post a few more closeups.
>>
File: 20160106_183141.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_183141.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>
File: 20160106_183221.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160106_183221.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>
>>926203
Sounds like a soak in some penetrating oil will be needed, then some more wailing with the mallet. Might be worth checking in with the classic car thread over on >>>/o/14157392 as well.
>>
>>926210
You think so? I was concerned that I might end up bending/shattering the valve stem. As for that thread, I'll give it a look. Thanks.
>>
>>926214
> I was concerned that I might end up bending/shattering the valve stem.

If you're swinging your mallot like Thor swings Mjolnir then yeah, you're prolly gunna damage something, but gentle taps should be ok. Just soak the bastard for a full day with pen-oil (hit it every few hours as it dries out) and see if it plays ball. If it has rusted properly into the guide that might mean a new head, but I don't much into cars, so someone else might have better advice if oil doesn't unfreeze it. I know you can heat components to crack them loose but considering the mass of metal you'd need to heat around the valve guides (plus the fact it's effectively a giant heat sink) i'm not sure how practical that would be.
>>
Try some penetrating oil inside the port where the valve stem comes up. I reckon a smooth hard wood board on top of the valve then tap it with a regular hammer. Rubber is a bit on the soft side for this.

Can you turn the engine yet?

>>926218
>new head

This thing is an old side valve so its the block they are in.
>>
>>926238
>This thing is an old side valve so its the block they are in.

No shit? I have never seen that configuration before. How would one go about re-machining the valve seats if and when they wear? Surely blown seats =/= new block time?
>>
>>926274
It depends how far gone it is as to how much of the following is actually needed.

>Lapping (needed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-PugXaQxuU

>Re cutting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEJ3coQa14

>Install seats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdU_-Im6jcg

>never seen that configuration before.

Side valves went out about half a century ago, in cars at least.
>>
>>926279
Lots of stuff in this one too but 13:00 is where the cutter comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fold5_aw8CI
>>
>>926279
>>926283
Well I'm a fucking idiot, those and OP's are just flathead engines which I know about, I don't know why it didn't click before. Great videos though, thanks for dropping.
>>
>>926238
I'll give it a shot. As for turning the engine over, I haven't been able to do so. I plan on totally disassembling and cleaning it, honing the cylinders (though I haven't gauged them for roundness yet), lapping the valves (a grind may be necessary), replacing the piston rings, and inspecting/replacing the bearings.
>>
>>926689
>disassembling and cleaning it

After you have cleaned things like the crankshaft put a layer of fresh grease over it, specially the polished surfaces to prevent rust wile you are taking your time on the rest. A quick re wash to remove the grease then oil them just before assembly. Put all moving parts back in the same place even if they seem interchangeable.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.