[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dehumidifier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: thumb_13857.png (110 KB, 336x350) Image search: [Google]
thumb_13857.png
110 KB, 336x350
Aight /diy/, first time posting here. With winter finally here and me living in a shitty building I've a real problem with humidity. Electric dehumidifiers are out of my price range and I've read that chemical based ones are definitely not worth the price. So I decided to make one myself. I was thinking one based on calcium chloride, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to put it together. I was thinking a strainer with the CaCl2, with a container beneath it for collecting the refuse liquid and a fan above it for forced circulation.

Does that sound good? Should I go for something different than CaCl2?

tl;dr - How do I make a dehumidifier for cheap?
>>
File: dehumidifier.png (12 KB, 554x645) Image search: [Google]
dehumidifier.png
12 KB, 554x645
This is what I was thinking about.
>>
>>925885
I've seen a calcium chloride based dehumidifier being literally just a bag of CaCl2 suspended from a rope over a bucket. Moisture gets absorbed, reaches saturation, then drips off into the bucket.

Was for use in sheds and such.
>>
>>925946
Another thing. This solution had the added bonus of being 100% reusable. However, found the product I was thinking of, and it says that it only works to bring down the humidity to 45%, below which it won't work.
>>
>>925950
If it can get it down to 45% that'd be perfect. And yeah, it's reusable if you have the time and space to evaporate the water, but in the current shitty weather I'd just throw away the refuse and buy some more, the stuff is 25 kilos for 30 bucks where I am.
>>
>>925966
Dude you could leterally just open a freeser and leave it open. Gets from 80% to 20% really fast and can go to even 0%.

But if your problems are moist walls you are fucked anyway.
>>
>>925966
It'll work just fine for your purposes. You don.t even need a fan. The ones I can buy here (0.5 kg CaCl2 inna bucket) says that it works in rooms of up to 15 m^2 (~160 sqft). I can't see why using two of those can't deal with 30 m^2.
Also, it says that they'll work for up to 3 months, as long as you keep removing the moisture from the bucket.
>>
File: vdLE8dJ.gif (2 MB, 350x310) Image search: [Google]
vdLE8dJ.gif
2 MB, 350x310
>>925968
Moist walls, moist everything. I just want to keep it out of the air so I can breathe properly. As soon as my contract ends I'm looking for a new place cause this shit sucks balls.
>>
>>925885
I've got one of those in OP's pic. I installed it on Christmas eve and its already almost full, still nowhere near as good as a proper electric dehumidifier but seems to be ok for the price.

Do you open the windows in the day to let the place air out?
>>
>>925885
use a peltier module and a tiny cpu fan.
>>
File: contemplation.png (6 KB, 203x195) Image search: [Google]
contemplation.png
6 KB, 203x195
>>925978
Have you tried opening the windows?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.