[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
armor project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x960
this is my unfinished cold steel armor I have made. The pauldron is kind of mocked up at the momment it tends to slide off my shoulder from time to time but just wondering what anyone thinks haha been a little project on and off for a few months now.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 640x960
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 640x960
>>
>>925739
Find your local SCA group and ask them who locally does armoring, if you're nice to them they might show you how to dish steel to make proper elbow cops and knee cops.
>>
I tried to dish I ..I couldn't even come close to a real result so I stuck with segmented plates
>>
>>925739
You don't call yourself senpai, for two reasons:

1) calling yourself any honorific makes you look like a massive, massive, massive twat. It would be like calling yourself "Mista Fantastic" in front of an English-speaking audience

2) senpai is a relative term: the appropriateness of its use depends on the addressor, not the addressee. Your kouhai would call you senpai, your boss wouldn't. For that reason, you yourself can't call yourself senpai; that makes no sense.
>>
File: DSC_0123.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0123.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
I'm a homeless sword smith,but I'd love to do some plate armor. What's the most primitive tools you can work with?
>>
Nice lip ring fagot, your boyfriend make you get that?
>>
I just use tin snips. ball ping hammer. And pliers. I mean I'm using cold steel. I'm not actualy forging it in a fire and quenching it in oil. So. just basic stuff really and a power drill
>>
so in short. You need a ball ping hammer

you need tin snips to cut the steel.

you don't need pliers but it helps shape the metal on small tabs and stuff. and the drill is for the holes it's hard to make holes in steel unless you maybe use a nail and hammer but it wouldn't be as clean. I use roofing nails as steel rivets and cut the tips off then hammer it flat
>>
>>925830
lol pissed off the wrong weeaboo huh
>>
> cold steel armor

one, if not two redundant words in that phrase.

About 90% of armouring is cold-worked. Its just armour. not "cold steel". that's a pointless and useless phrase.

the exceptions are raising (ie, helmets), the process of making steep dished forms, and heat-treat if you're using carbon steel.

Also, its a ball-pein hammer, not a ball ping.

Now, would you like to be complimented, or criticised, and if you're wanting criticism, do you want it to be honest...?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (73 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
73 KB, 800x500
>>926011
>not "cold steel". that's a pointless and useless phrase.

Nigga learn some poetry, "cold steel" is perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>926011
you get the point you knew what I ment. also I don't see how you have room to criticize if you can't see the work Infront of you. I never asked for critisism. just personal thoughts. mostly for fun. nothing super serious, lol you want to criticize off of a couple of photos lol
>>
>>925994
>weeaboo
You're the one calling yourself "senpai".

Now, you can either tuck your dick back in, or stand there and bitch at the guy who bothered to tell you your fly was undone.
>>
>>925739
>Havel
>Uses steel
>What are you caslu?
>Get your ass some stone carving tools and get a decent set faggot
>What rings you got bitch
>>
>>926497
>>925830
autism
>>
check out this guy's videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyROtRtz648

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2-rO0wFAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDEVhIBx91c
>>
>>925739
>cold steel

So, which faery court did you piss of?
>>
>>926412
>you get the point you knew what I ment.

that doesn't make your using the wrong word any less wrong.

if you went into a tool shop and asked for a Fort Saw, instead of a fretsaw, or a Peters Screwdriver instead of a Phillips, you're going to be looked at as a fucking idiot.

Learn the right names.

> also I don't see how you have room to criticize if you can't see the work Infront of you. I never asked for critisism. just personal thoughts. mostly for fun. nothing super serious, lol you want to criticize off of a couple of photos lol

I've handled enough armour in my life to see the glaring faults in the design. But if you dont want to actually improve your work, and are just posting in some sort of ego-wank wanting people to say its great, regardless of how flawed it is... well, I'm not the person to pat you on the head and tell you well done, Timmy.

but for a start, you've assembled the couter entirely wrongly - lames should flow from the centre of the couter, which needs to be dished far more than you have. what you have there will tug and catch badly. the entire spaulder/pauldron structure is a trainwreck too.
>>
>>926600
1st off the pauldron is mocked up. Un finnished. Second of all. the couter and well basically the whole thing was made using only images I saw on the internet. I didn't have any other help or guide I didnt watch any sort of tutorial or have any sort of template. I went off my own sketches and ideas and if you ask me I'm fine with the way it turned out. I would like to improve yes. But let's get this out of the way. This isn't made to be authentic of any style. I just made it up as I went. Also the steel is just thin gauge steel I picked up a Home Depot. it's not like I'm forging the pieces. This is mostly for show. It's thick enough to stop a slash maybe. would be completely useless agenst a thrust or stab. if it hit hard enough. I'm not trying to be the best lmg dank scoper armorer. It's mostly just a hobby. for fun. Also you have no room to judge my work without seeing it in person. say what you want but low quality photos from my iPhone 4 isn't enough to go off of

Also the main reason of this post was not get people to tell me it's good. I don't care what you say about it. Just trying to start conversation among others who maybe are into the same sort of stuff
>>
I Litteraly had no experience working with metal. When I started this. I even taught my self how to roll the edges of the bracer also I never claimed my metal working was 99.

not sure what your deal is
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x480
If you are going to judge at least see it up at a Better angle
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 640x480
>>
Egads, man!

>The year of our Lord Two-thousand and Sixteen
>Not using Kevlar®
>Thy newness dost showeth
>>
>>926648
nothing beats steel! take your fancy Kevlar elsewhere haha kidding. I'm pretty sure Kevlar isn't stab proof or is it?
>>
>>926627
>>926624

Right, I'll be blunt.

your responses, frankly, come over as being a dickhead. And I'm not inclined to waste time on dickheads.

your prototype is a trainwreck, there's gaps a mile wide.
I can give you a load of help - better reference pics, like that one of a disassembled spaulder with a besagew (far easier to make than a pauldron, trust me!), and details of how to do better dishing. But am I going to be wasting my time writing it all?

I mentioned a ball-pein, not a ball-ping. its a little thing, just correcting a technical word you were getting wrong. but the pissy response, not "ok, thanks, didnt know that" or something similar is a great big flashing warning sign that if I say, "X part is really wrong, you need to do this, this and this", you're going to reply with stuff like >>926624, and give reasons why its that, instead of actually listening to what's said, and learning from it.

And frankly, I dont know if I can be bothered with that, because If I'm going to spend my time, I want to spend it on people who'll learn from it, and hopefully, get something out of it.

So, you tell me. Do you want to learn? Do you want to know how to do it better? And are you willing to look at what you've done, and maybe accept that it'll all end up having it binned, as you learn more techniques?
>>
>>926659
I am all for listening and learning. I was just letting you know it was mocked up. I didn't want you to think it was a finnished product. further more I don't even have the proper tools and lack the funds to buy them at the momment. so I guess you might as well save your breath. But if you see somthing that bugs you please. Let me know what's wrong.

also I know there are a lot of sharp pointy bits I haven't bothered cutting them off yet. I should probably do that first
>>
>>926659
>senpai
He should be telling you how to do it, not the other way round.
>>
Hahahahahahahaha typical egocentric bullshit.

OP your work is garbage. Your attitude is garbage. I know your type, I bet you think you are some kind of genius who is always right. You are not.

Get your shit in order or you will never accomplish anything.
>>
I'm far from full of my self. I know my work isn't all that good. I accept that. I like you guys jump to conclusions easily lol also I would like to see your work before calling mine garbage it seems you know somthing I don't?
>>
>>926624
>I didn't have any other help or guide I didnt watch any sort of tutorial or have any sort of template. I went off my own sketches and ideas

That's half your problem. If you want to improve and not end up with the this mad-max monstrosity, watching tutorials and practicing of templates is exactly what you need to do.

The other half is that you want everyone to jerk you off over Igor's home-made cobble plate.
>>
It's ball-peen you damn fools
>>
>>926737
>"I'm far from full of my self"
>calls himself "senpai"
>>
>>925992
>ball ping hammer

Oh boy
>>
File: 1448315004441.jpg (30 KB, 524x336) Image search: [Google]
1448315004441.jpg
30 KB, 524x336
>>926540
>David Guyton
>>
>>927439
i know, just thought it would be an ok starting point for a beginner
>>
>>927250
>>927189
>>927250
I think I see whats going on here. You're all too stupid to help, so you're just picking on what you can.

And here I was thinking this board was a bastion of intelligence amongst the much that is 4chan. I'm out, fuck you all.
>>
File: Crecy_Up-Yours.jpg (235 KB, 978x669) Image search: [Google]
Crecy_Up-Yours.jpg
235 KB, 978x669
>>927684
> so you're just picking on what you can.

Lets see...

you have a fucking name that pretty much says "I think I am superior to you, and you should show me respect" (which is what a senpai means, in effect).

When this is pointed out, your reaction is not to think about changing it, but to instead start slagging the guy off.

You use the wrong terms for items. When this is pointed out to you, you do not go "oh, thanks" or the likes, no, you try to attack, saying "you knew what I meant"

When the armour is criticised, to start suggestions of where to improve, you pretty much rebuff the replies, so much so that the person stops wanting to even bother to assist.

when others step in, see what a shitty brat you've been, your reaction is to start name-calling, saying they are "stupid" and that you thought there was intelligence - which is pretty much another way of you saying "I think I know more than everyone here".

Well, you dont.

Your comments, even the name you're using reek of arrogance, blind ignorance, an unwillingness to have any humility, or manners. You are, quite simply, a brat, whose tone has not in any way been conducive to you being given the slightest respect. your shitty attitude means I have absolutely no incentive to want to assist you -you come over as a complete and utter prick. And why should I help someone who's a prick, who I dont feel will respect my advice?

So, yes, Glad to see you go. your shitty thread can either sink down the order, and off page 10, or it can be taken up by people who have manners and an interest in armour, and can talk about methods of production without your toxic presence.
>>
>>926725
Hmmm that post seems awfully egocentric
>>
>>927796
How d'you figure?

Every sentence refers to the third person, not the first.

In fact, it's egonegligent.
>>
>>926011
I've always seen it spelled "ball peen", but I guess that varies. "Ball ping" sounds like someone that only heard the term and didn't want to say "peen" because they must have heard wrong.
>>
>>927684
Lol. You've been defensive since the beginning, and even when you change your tune after getting called out, you get defensive again real quick. You flaunt ignorance like a badge of honor when you use terms like "ball ping hammer" or don't learn how armor is made before you attempt to make it, then have the audacity to call everyone else stupid. Go home, hick.
>>
>>927882
Peen and pein are just the differences in british and american spelling.

color / colour, etc.
>>
>>925739
Now THAT's useful.
>>
>>926540

This guy makes this shit look easy... Cant be that easy. I will not be fooled into buying tools and a sheet of metal only to have it end up looking like shit.
>>
>>928923
except for the embossing it looks like the hardest thing he does is rolling the edge, it seems, he is working with pretty thin steel for the most part and does pretty simple forming, the hardest part about the riveting is getting slotted holes right for articulation, he makes good points about starting with paper patterns to fit you before cutting steel, he sells templates on his site or there are good sites you can get free ones from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSNezeW09U

this guy has some great videos, it is obvious he has been doing this kind of thing for a while
>>
>>928932

So for a total noob. How long would the various armor parts take to make?

I mean, i have worked with metal before. i can buff shit, i can hit shit with a hammer. But i have never done anything of this caliber before.
>>
>>928948
i've not made much armor but i have done metal work that took similar techniques so i can't say for certain but i would expect it would depend on your personal skill and the amount of time you want to invest learning how to form it, i'm sure there are anons here with far more knowledge than i have who may be willing to lend some tips. there are tons of resources online

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/

you could start here
>>
>>928948
it would also depend on what your materials and specs are if you want something that could offer real protection look into league of nations construction regulations
>>
>>928953
sorry not "league of nations" it's "battle of nations"
there are chapters all over the world
>>
>>928953

Naw i dont need it to stop a bullet.

I would just want it to look sexy and get that metal on metal sound.

No it dosent need to stop a bullet. But it would be nice if giving it a good smack with a shit tier sword would just put a mild dent in it and not cave it in.
>>
>>928957
i think you will want something heavyer than what david guyton uses

these are the thicknesses required under battle of nation rules,

http://usaknights.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ACL-Rules-and-Regulations-V2.2.1.14.pdf

this isn't pussy boffer swords, they aren't sharp mind you but they are steel and not foam. find some of their videos on youtube, the russians are fucking beasts when it comes to this.

when it comes to making stuff i'm pretty slow because i always second guess myself and over think
>>
>>925739
Wow that armor is guarantee to protect your virginity!! You massive faggot
>>
File: 20150620_165440.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150620_165440.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
I want to weigh in on this while the thread is up, I'm a novice armor maker, I've only made a breastplate and shitty Pauldrens with the help of my buddy who is significantly farther then me in skill.
I'm currently borrowing my friends leg armor but it's too large for me and doesn't fit right so I need to make my own, where do you get your metal for cheap? I'm looking for at least 14 gauge so that it doesn't crumple if I roll.
I used old oil drums for my breastplate but the thickness varied between 16 and 18g so it wasn't reliable.

>pic related, it's fatass me dying of a cold at an event.
>>
>>929568
Bump
>>
>>929568

I've always looked to sites like gumtree and craigslist for spare scrap.
>>
>>929713
What could I look for? aside from "free sheet metal"
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452697322079.jpg (129 KB, 800x1236) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452697322079.jpg
129 KB, 800x1236
Selfish bump
>>
>>929715
or someone getting rid of steel 55 gallon drums, they are supposed to be about 1mm thick
>>
>>931257
Yeah nah. Food grade ones are worth something. There are a fuckton of them around for free from farmers, dodgy cunts that have been used to store all manner of horrible pesticides and nasty shit. Think phosphene. If you are ok with being exposed to phosphene gas, then go ahead.

>you know it will liquify your organs when they say "oh gee anon, i dont know. Im pretty sure i bought it full of rice or some shit."
>>
>>931257
>>931282
Not to mention most of them have deposits. Nobody well just give one to a random stranger.
>>
>>929568
in all honesty, get new sheet - scrap is just opening yourself up to problems.

That said, for a few small practice pieces, I used the sides from old PC cases that were to be scrapped, from the computer shop I lived above.

But buying fresh sheet ensures that its flat, so you can draw out plates easier. (Tip: draw your patterns on poster board, and keep them in a folder. if a part doesnt fit, you'll modify the metal, say, trim 5mm off one side. trim 5mm off the side of the pattern, too. it saves you a LOT of time in the long run. )

more importantly, its a good habit as it ensures consistency. you know you're using 18ga, or 16ga, or 14ga sheet. you know you're using 1018 mild... or 1050 carbon, or 4130 spring.
Its also much cheaper to buy a big sheet than getting it any other way (except for free, obviously.)
>>
>>931282
good point anon, i didn't consider that
>>
>>931316
i was thinking anon could look for them on craigslist

>>931282
but this anon raised a good point
>>
use street signs, they are some kind of aluminum alloy, they are light and tough
>>
>>932326
that's stealing
>>
>>932353
So is taking napkins from taco bell, it's a free, dying world, anon.
>>
>>932326
>aluminium alloy
enjoy your alzheimer's
>>
>>932357
If you get alzheimers from touching aluminum, basically all of us are screwed.
>>
>>932356
it'll be a dying world when you keep stealing stop signs
>>
>>932353
only if anon steals them, anon could try and get a hold of the local government agency that is in charge of sign installation and see if they have any old ones they could give away or sell for cheap, i'm not sure who would be in charge of such a job but maybe stop by a city hall and ask.
>>
>>932357
my well is lined with aluminum culvert, if i was worried about alzheimer's i should be more worried about that not the possibility of inhaling a small amount of aluminum dust should i decide to make armor out of signs, a problem that is easily avoided by wearing a simple bandanna when cutting or grinding
>>
>>932384
shit i have seen street signs for sale in army navy stores
>>
>>925844
Top kek, thought the same thing...
>>
>>929568
>armor
>purple sash
>white strips tied to arm
Hey fellow Amtgarder!
>>
File: 660377.png (184 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
660377.png
184 KB, 310x310
>>925739

Someone should make something like this
>>
>>927684

Can we all agree that the OP was 14 and couldn't handle not only actual criticism (and use it to better himself) but the fact that 70% of the time this board is for getting shit done and not trying to get nerd pussy by posting pics of self made shit on fb?
>>
>>933861
No
>>
>>925838
Lol. That is never going to be a sword dude. That thing is gonna snap the second it taps anything.

Why in God's name are you fucking smithing instead of at a shelter or temp agency getting a package job at 12 an hour to get thenfuck off the street?
>>
>>932385
So a banana a day will keep the Alzheimer's away? Good to know
>>
>>935527
yes but only if taken as a suppository
>>
>>925739
It looks a bit unpolished but everyone has to start somewhere. Not bad!
>>
>>925830
I have a IRL acquaintance who gave himself the nickname "Cool" in his mid teens and kept it until his early 20s. He also has a tribal scorpion tattooed on his shoulder.
>>
>>934058
Fucking rude. There is a strange passion and desire in blacksmithing. Whether you're good or bad at it. I think he has potential for his current position.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.