[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steel Cutting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: -cold-rolled-steel-sheets.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
-cold-rolled-steel-sheets.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
So guys I have a project in mind but it involves some steel cutting. Problem: I don't have any power tools (torch cutter, plasma cutter, angle grinder, etc.). Is there a simple way to cut steel without these instruments?
>Pic not related those aren't the plates
>>
short answer:no

long answer: yes, with very very heavy manual labour for a couple years.

rent tools or don't ask dumb questions.
>>
>>925442
Yes, you can cut steel with a Hacksaw.

It will take a very, very long time, a lot of sweat and a bunch of Hacksaw blades if you have any significant amount of steel to cut through.

Rent/buy a cheap angle grinder FFS. The only way a Hacksaw comes out cheaper is if your time is 100% worthless.
>>
>>925451
If it's more than 2mm thick don't even bother trying.
>>
>>925451

This.

They have grinders in home depot for all of $40 for an OK one (ryobi, rigid) and $50 for an actual good one (makita, milwaukee etc.)
>>
>>925459
Harbor Freight $20 angle grinder ftw. They last years.
>>
Look for a set of second hand oxy-acetylene torches and bottles. They're easy to come by, cheap and save a lot of manual labour.

If you're talking little bits of say steel angle, ~5mm thick a 9" angle grinder will do well enough for how little they cost.
>>
>>925462

Or this. Power tools are so cheap that it doesn't make sense not to use one if it saves you even 2 hours.
>>
>>925442
Jet fuel
>>
>>925478
He's trying to cut steel beam, not melt them!

It's not even safe to store jet fuel in the same building as steel beams.
>>
>>925462
>They last years.
If you only use them them every few months, sure they do.
>>
>>925442
>So guys I have a project in mind but it involves some steel cutting. Problem: I don't have any power tools (torch cutter, plasma cutter, angle grinder, etc.). Is there a simple way to cut steel without these instruments?
It would help a lot if you gave the actual example of what you are trying to do.
In particular--how much linear cutting you need done, and how thick the metal is you would want to cut.

Generally speaking--you can rip through light steel pretty easy with an angle grinder and some cutoff wheels, and it's not an expensive tool.

Depending on the details of your project, it may be a lot easier/better to pay a shop to do most of the cutting with a plasma cutter tho.
>>
>>925442
Please, op, please just get an angle grinder. You'll enjoy life quite a bit better with one.
>>
>>925442
I would tell OP how to make and use a Thermic lance, but he'd probably kill himself accidentally because autism.
>>
1)Get some card stock from the dollar store
2)draw the shapes you want
3)take templates to fab shop.
Thy can plasma cut PDQ
>>
>>925529
>HF angle grinder breaks

return it for a new one
>>
Where are you buying the steel? They probably have a shear.
>>
lay a line of thermite down, light one end stand well back

steel rust / aluminium shavings 50/50 mix
>>
>>925955
Please try this OP. Record it and put it on youtube. I must see it happen.
>>
>>926211
i've done it to weld shit, pretty easy really. can buy ingredients at a few local shops but i get it from a railroad crew. biggest thing is making sure you do it somewhere safe
>>
>Dear /diy/, I want to do X but don't have anything I need to do X. Is there another way to do X?

Every ding-dong day.
>>
>>925442
How thick is the steel and do you have a dremel? A dremel will work if the steel isn't too thick. Dremels are baby entry power tools.
>>
they make an abrasive blade that fits a standard skill saw that will cut thru steel siding. have done this my self.
>>
>>926758
I think OP is kill. Probably just a pipe dream.
>>
>>926698
that's what /diy/ is for you fucking retard
fuck off to /mlp/ or just stop putting shit comments up
People ask question on how to do things and to get new ideas and show of what they have done.
If you don't like it don't fucking come here.

Grinder with cutting disc - £30
Buy the steel cut to size
If you have the steel take it to be cut to size - £5
>>
>>926713
Why would you suggest a $200 dremel for a job that is far more suited to a $20 angle grinder?
>>
>>926805
because it's guerilla marketing time and they thought that a board filled with tradesmen with real power tools would want to buy a horribly dangerous expensive toy suitable only for children. they've kind of missed their mark. maybe festool could better sell their wares here?
>>
>>926811
Festool is strictly for the elitist shill.
>>
>>926805
Why are you debating sunk costs?
>>
>>926805
>Being a pleb.
>>
File: Carl_Brutananadilewski.png (76 KB, 246x385) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Brutananadilewski.png
76 KB, 246x385
>>926794
Frigging James Russell over here, the diy part comes after you've acquired the tools necessary to do it yourself
>>
>>926895
Why use a steel sword when I can use a much more expensive and less effective sword made of gold?
>>
>>926902

I had built a crate with a stone and bent up used nails. It was the ugliest crate out but I was 14 and I had no access to tools and I had found a pallet washed up on the beach and the shipper wouldn't take my items unless they were boxed. I think they had something against me because I was white and the only man on the island.

>it wasn't square
>the sides weren't flush so there was board sticking out the edges
>hardly holding itself together
> tfw they took the crate anyway

Tell me that is not DIY
>>
>>925442
Where do you reside, crazy fella?
>>
>>925592
>Thermic lance

He probably wants to make a clean cut, not fucking destroy the material then scrap it.
>>
File: 1446415188707.jpg (10 KB, 374x295) Image search: [Google]
1446415188707.jpg
10 KB, 374x295
>>926930
What was the point of typing out this story? To prove you know what /diy/ is for because you made a shitty box when you were a kid? I don't get it.
>>
>>926930
>>927110
Yeah I'm kinda at a loss there too, bud. We value things that are well-made over shit that you did because you're too poor to do anything else.
>>
File: __57.jpg (89 KB, 800x509) Image search: [Google]
__57.jpg
89 KB, 800x509
>>925442
An angle grinder might be more flexible for different tasks, but metal cutting blades for this thing will last much longer than abrasives.

It's also more comfortable to use without sparks flying everywhere.
>>
>>925442
>Is there a simple way to cut steel without these instruments?
no. i'm sure you know someone with an angle grinder, borrow it.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.