[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pottery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: pottery wheel.jpg (320 KB, 819x1144) Image search: [Google]
pottery wheel.jpg
320 KB, 819x1144
Sup /diy/,
Lets talk pottery.
Made a pottery wheel. made a kick wheel design. used a cars spare tire for the wheel, made a hub out of plywood, used flange bearing to hold the shaft, plywood for the wheel head.

share your pottery tips ITT
>>
>>925381
Now take off the wheel and cast a 5"thick piece of concrete about 44" in diameter.

You need the inertia if you're going to make it work
>>
>>925381
Id get into pottery if i lived somewhere I could sauce clay for cheap. But paying 45 dollars for like 20lbs of clay when all they did was scoop it out with truck and send it off to have a machine remove the plant matter and upcharge it in price is bull.

TLDR not gonna pay money for dirt.
>>
File: clay.jpg (174 KB, 822x641) Image search: [Google]
clay.jpg
174 KB, 822x641
>>925391
have you tried digging for clay?
i get my clay out of the ground, it's mostly clean, has fine sand in it. got clay out of garden soil once, can't say how good it was, as i didn't make pottery back then
>>925387
if it slows down to quick, i'll fill it with sand or water
>>
>>925398
The problem is. I live in one of those places where clay just does not exist. Its just white sand, sandstone bedrock, decaying leaf matter. And decayed muck. Its called centeral florida and it fucking sucks.
>>
>>925400
Dunno why my phone fixed central for me retardly...
>>
>>925400
When you said "white sand, sandstone bedrock, decaying leaf matter,..." my brain immediately said, "Hey! That sounds like Florida!"

I feel your pain.
>>
>>925400
When I was a little kid we lived near to a peat bog, had nice veins of pure grey clay along the edges.
>>
>>925381
That's going to suck for pottery but good job on /diy/ing it.

>>925391
Gotta pay for that shipping. Surely there is a place nearby that imports clay in large amounts.

I can buy 100lbs for $45 at continental clay and they offer even better rates in bulk. Shipping is a bitch but deal with it.
>>
>>925398
>if it slows down to quick, i'll fill it with sand or water
>water
are you fucking retarded? Water spinning around a hollow torus?

Sand will be better. But it will be nowhere as effective as a proper kick wheel.

Assuming you fill the tire with concrete versus a 44" disk of it, the disk will have 13 times the moment of inertia. Also, use the highest quality bearings you can get your hands on. They really do make a difference

That being said: I AM in fact talking from personal experience. I made a potteey wheel for my ex and did try an old tire at first. Even getting it at full speed full of sand you could barely get any work done on it.
>>
>>925381
Nice, I bought two on eBay for $167.00 and sold the shitty one for $375.00 on craigslist.
>>
bumping for interes; my project for this summer is kickwheel with possible motor upgrade
>>
>>925400
You're in luck. This is one of the biggest ceramics supply companies in the US.

http://www.axner.com/showroom-info.aspx
>>
File: img000023[1].png (735 KB, 975x1400) Image search: [Google]
img000023[1].png
735 KB, 975x1400
You should find a psychic
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.