[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/. I rarely go here so I'll keep it straight;
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: DSC_0066.jpg (393 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0066.jpg
393 KB, 2560x1440
Hello /diy/. I rarely go here so I'll keep it straight; the key to my parents' bedroom snapped in half and is stuck in the keyhole, and we've been looking for a way to get the key out. My parents can go in and out of the room by the window, but that's certainly not convenient. Any way to get the piece of key out? Or any way to get the door open at all?
>>
>>924182
don't really know how to get it out but you can probably open it with a screwdriver
>>
>>924186
Any screwdriver? And just turn the keyhole?
>>
>>924187
a flat one
and yes, than just turn it
>>
>>924188
should at least get it open
>>
Got a better view of the knob? most bedroom door knobs can be removed entirely and replaced with a new one in about 10 minutes. if nothing else, once the knob is out, the bolt can be worked with a screwdriver.
>>
>>924189
>>924190
I tried turning it with a screwdriver but I still can't unlock it. Also can't post pictures anymore since my phone has low memory.
>>
>>924194
Did the key break when they were pulling it out?
Try pushing what's left of it a little further in.
>>
>>924217
Gonna try that tomorrow since I'm really exhausted. Thanks anyway.
>>
Does the handle still operate on the side without the keyhole?

Easiest solution pop out the hinge pins remove the door and replace the door handle hardware usually its 2 bolts and a set screw.
>>
>>924182
Disassemble the lock, there will be some way to remove it from the inside.
>>
Who has a keyed lock on their bedroom? Where do you live OP?

If you have a door with non removeable or accessible hinge pins then you're probably going to have to drill out the cylinder and replace the lock.
>>
File: 1451593864152.jpg (51 KB, 1080x1081) Image search: [Google]
1451593864152.jpg
51 KB, 1080x1081
>>924224
>can't open the door
>disassemble the lock
>>
>>924308
My parents got sick of me walking in on them having sex

Jeez

Could you just answer the question
>>
>>924312
>can't get in through the window
>can't open the door from the other side
>can't disassemble the lock from the other side even without opening the door.
are you retarded?
>>
File: 200608101348540.8200.jpg (25 KB, 346x322) Image search: [Google]
200608101348540.8200.jpg
25 KB, 346x322
>>924391
So you know it's not a mortise lock?

Regardless of what side the door you're on, if the lock is inside the door body you can't key it to control, ya know, cus it broke off in the lock.

And ah interior door is more than likely going to have a key operating mortise lock rather than a latch or slam lock, like a front door would.
>>
File: 1451595406014.jpg (131 KB, 1600x1213) Image search: [Google]
1451595406014.jpg
131 KB, 1600x1213
>>924391
Oh and uh, are ya retarded?
>>
File: mortbreakdown.jpg (24 KB, 440x316) Image search: [Google]
mortbreakdown.jpg
24 KB, 440x316
>>924312
>mortise lock
Potato attempted to potato but was in fact the one who was potato`d then attempted to potato his way out being the potato here>>>>924399

Go in through the window remove the trim screws,trim and bottom thru bolt. Pull the scalp out and replace the entire assembly or just the cylinder. There's also the option of pushing the broken key deeper and use the other half of the broken key or a lock pick set to engage whatever tumblers are not being engaged to release the tumbler but that's only useful to gain entrance to replace the lock.
>>
File: 1451859208406.jpg (24 KB, 346x322) Image search: [Google]
1451859208406.jpg
24 KB, 346x322
>>924398
I guess it's hereditary. Do your parent genuinely use the window to get into and out of their own room?
Screws like I've circled typically hold a trim plate from the inside of the door. after removing that trim plate, you can typically disengage the lock. also, if the key broke in, you can push/pull on the key inside and tension with something (wiper blade, screwdriver) to get it open.
How about you try something before coming over and start calling other people retarded when you can't even figure simple shit out yourself?
>>
File: 2.jpg (56 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
56 KB, 1024x768
>>924407
>>924417
What trim plate? You mean the one that covers the lock body sandwiched inside a door?

The front plate on the outside of the door is decorative only.
>>
>>924407
>>924417
>>
File: 301098-2.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
301098-2.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
OP has a Euro profile lock. It's held in place with a screw from the face of the door. You can't remove the cylinder with the door closed.
>>
>>924182
take pins out of hinges, pull door open from hinge side. then remove lock
>>
Glue a popsicle stick to the end of the key, let it dry, then pull it out.
>>
>>924182
Can you get a long piece of rigid thin metal/wire? You might be able to push it out from the other side if the lock design allows for it.
>>
Just kick in the fucking door and replace it, pussy.
>>
did this ever get resolved?
>>
>>924455
No, OP has an American door-knob lock.

If he had a eurocylinder, he'd have the additional problem that the bolt sticks out from the cylinder in the default, no-key, state, so the only way to get it out is with the door open and a working key.
>>
>>924182

HSS bit, drill the lock to fuckery, use a screwdriver to do the rest.

I've gotten through several jammed or busted locks this way.

Or, as otherwise suggested, smash the door open. Probably hollowcore, you could walk through it if so.
>>
>>924182
>can go in and out of the room by the window
problem solved.
>>
>>924182
Yes. There is a special tool for pushing the piece of key out of the lock. In Australia its a controlled tool though. Fucking stupid for what is basically just a 26gdrawing needle.

Unfortunately you probably need a locksmith unless you want to drill out the lock.
>>
It's busted OP. Just move house, or demolish and rebuild.
>>
Call a fucking locksmith, they'll handle it quickly and easily.

You don't have to /diy/ everyfucking thing, and sometimes /diy/ ends up more expensive than calling a pro. For example I rebuild motorcycle and auto engines but when I need a key cut to a lock I fucking call a locksmith.
>>
>>924455
>fucking screen door lock diagram
>in a thread based on entry door locks
>>
>>927500
this is 100% not a locksmith scenario. op has been given at least two answers that will work.

also the popcycle post is underrated
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.