[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I'm a bit of a stranger to these parts and to DIY in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: not quite my chair.jpg (20 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
not quite my chair.jpg
20 KB, 320x320
Hey, I'm a bit of a stranger to these parts and to DIY in general but I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice. The arms of my chair are starting to come apart after a few years of use*, it's that soft rubbery-plastic stuff and both arms are developing rather large cracks in multiple places. It's mostly along the sides and bottoms so they're still reasonably comfy but in a few more months I wouldn't be surprised if one of them fell off entirely which would be less than ideal.

Since the rest of the chair is in fantastic shape it seems like a waste to buy a new one, I was thinking there might be a way to cheaply repair the cracks. Glue seems like the simplest approach but again I have no real experience with projects so you guys might know something better. I also know that there are many types of glue with different strengths and that some really don't like certain materials so I have no idea where to start there. Any advice? Alternatively if this isn't the sort of thing that can really be fixed I could maybe cut some fabric and fit it tightly around the arms to at least bind the pieces in place when they finally disintegrate, that might even up the comfort levels a bit. Wouldn't mind some advice on how to go about doing that either if the first approach isn't feasible.

*It's all my fault, I'm one of those weirdos that tends to slouch heavily, lean on an arm or sit cross legged in the chair at times instead of just using it like a chair. Shockingly it was not designed with that kind of use in mind.
>>
I had this exact same problem with my chair (which looks almost identical to the one in the picture). I looked up the manufacturers phone number and gave them a call to find out if i could order new ones. Instead they said the chair was still under warranty and sent me new ones for free. I had no proof of purchase, just gave a guesstimate date of purchase. Hope this helps!
>>
>>923455

Oh wow, I hadn't even considered that. I'll have to make a call, thank you.
>>
Just cover them in fabric
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.