[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
painting 3d printed plastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
i need help determining what paint to use, i thought rustoleum satin finish was going to be good, but it just leaves it tacky even after a few days of drying. any reccomendations?
>>
Have you sanded the surface before painting?
>>
yes, definatley, took a few days
>>
I get a lot of powdery paint dust on mine. Would a wet rag be safe to get rid of excess? Curious about OP as well.
>>
>>923217
always sand before painting. anything. promotes adhesion.
>>
>>923204
You're using enamel outta a can... Thats your first problem.

Use kyrlons crystal clear acrylic. It works fine overtop of rustos matte colors.

And its flexable. I forget if krylon made a clear coat just for plastics. But their color coat for plastics is actually pretty damn good.

Besides that maybe if you can find some... I haven't been able too locally. But you can take it old school and use aircraft dope. RC guys still use it.and just dip the whole thing in dope. And let it drip dry. Takes like a day or two to fully dry. But its pretty durable. Good enough for fishing bobbers at least.
>>
>>923230
If it's hardware store spray paint, probably not. Most commonly found spray paints are oil based and will clean up with mineral spirits or paint thinner. There are latex (water clean up) spray paints, but they are generally "artist quality," and thus expensive.
>>
yesss kevin, ma nigga

ok,
what material are the parts printed out of?

read the back of the paint cans and/or find a datasheet on said paint

do any of the paint propellants/thinners react with your printed part material? They could degrade or be soluble with your material

try using heat to dry them. you may still have solvent that needs extra help to evaporate

Tamiya, the model company, would be using probably the exact paint you want, find a datasheet and buy their paint or a paint with similar properties
>>
>>923407
U seem to know about rc stuff... Where do those guys in the US get dope from? My last order had to be shipped from the uk!
>>
Acrylic paint from walmart (not spray paint)
>>
So whats the best way to tackle a spray paint on plastic project?

I cant find videos directly related to what I plan on doing but from understanding, these are the steps required for a good spray paint job:

1.Sand or "debuff" plastic shine

2.Paint lightly with two coats and allow to dry for a day
3.Wet sand with 800 grit or 1000 grit sandpaper and give it another 3 coats allow this to dry
4.Clear coat while sanding lightly

This could most likely be wrong but this is what I gathered from spray painting plastics.

Is primer or adhesion necessary if sanding is being done anyway?
>>
Spray paint formulated especially for plastic, and more importantly primer for plastic so the paint has something to bite. If possible due to size, lightly scuff surface with Scotchbrite grey pad first, blow off, wipe, and prime. There is more professional quality online and at any automotive paint supplier.
>>
>>924815
Would sanding with 200 grit be the same and more effective than the brite pad since I already have the sandpaper?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.