[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Public Shop Space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: cbToRwv.jpg (56 KB, 750x714) Image search: [Google]
cbToRwv.jpg
56 KB, 750x714
Hi all,

I've recently gotten into a few projects that require the use of tools that I don't own, nor do I really have the proper space/safety equipment to set up (grinders, a welder, basic metalworking stuff). Would anyone here know if there is some sort of space that might have tools like this available for public renting/use? I've checked the local hackerspace (I live in Ottawa ,ON) but it caters mostly to electronics design rather than heavier stuff. I've also been using the machine shop at my university, but they're hesitant letting students use the welder and grinder, plus I'm working a 9 to 5 now, so I can't actually find time to use it. Buying the equipment to use myself is a no-go right now, as I've got no garage space, nor a lot of money .
>>
>>922942
google is your friend
>>
>>922942
It's called a makerspace or hackerspace. We've got several in Chicago, and they are becoming popular everywhere else too. Just search Google for hackerspace + your area.
>>
>>922942
check with your public library
>>
>>922942

What is your living situation like?

If you have a backyard or drive way you can easily setup a small table and run a grinder. Also you can find 4.5' grinders for cheap
>>
>>923060
>not reading the OP

> I've checked the local hackerspace (I live in Ottawa ,ON) but it caters mostly to electronics design rather than heavier stuff.
>>
>>923060

It's in the third fucking sentence, you illiterate motherfuck.
>>
We have tool rental places everywhere in the US for heavy equipment. Presumably the same places might have some of the stuff you need.
>>
>>923276
Gosh, for someone who's not OP, you sure are getting pretty worked up about this. Maybe it's time to take a break from 4chan and cool off.

As far as the hackerspaces go, if OP has indeed searched for *all* the hackerspaces in his area, and none of them fit the bill, then the answer to his question is no.
>>
Find a local metal fabricator shop and befriend them, tell the truth, you're interested and looking to learn and space to work.

If not metal fabricator, local artist or designer will have space, might dice a corner off for 30 bucks a month.

They may allow you to use the space and tools, assuming you know how, show proper respect, pay your own usable materials etc, might work out.
>>
>>922942
I have a grinder and welding gear and im an idiot. One time i had hold of the grinder with one hand it jumped out of my hand, hit the wall and landed on my inner thigh. If im not dead or mutilated, burned or electrocuted yet i think ull be fine opie
>>
I know this feel.

My local hackerspace was not really to my liking...
>filthy workspaces and mistreated tools
>sort of insular
>mandatory (paid) classes to use most equipment
>significant tools omitted because "that was joe's and he took it with him when he moved".

for the cost of a few months of membership, I would easily be better off paying for a few basic tools of my own and gas for the drive out to a friend's farm for more intense stuff.
>>
>>922942
Have you tried your local library?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.