[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not just install first floor doors and windows that are waterproof?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13
File: Residents-of-Morpeth-Nort-008.jpg (33 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Residents-of-Morpeth-Nort-008.jpg
33 KB, 460x276
Why not just install first floor doors and windows that are waterproof? Am I missing something?
>>
Waterproof would basically mean airtight as well. You don't want you first floor to be airtight.
>>
>>922786
It goes down the drains outside then back up the shitters inside.

Were you not allowed in the wet area in kindergarten?
>>
>>922786
Why not just avoid building in flood prone areas?
>>
>>922793
a place is not flood prone until it is flooded
>>
>>922795
Some areas are flooded in regular intervals yet fucktards still build there, common sense is not so common as one might think.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (298 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
298 KB, 2197x1463
>>922797
>>922793
There's a spot near where I live were someone keeps parking a trailer. There's been like 50 owners. All trailers have been flooded. It never ends.

Another house upriver was built 1 foot above the river bank and 15 feet from the river bank on the outside of a turn int he river bank. When it floods (2-3 times a year), half the 1st story is flooded. The bottom half of the house, the entire 1st floor, is all made of block. They were using it until it flooded like the 3rd time. Now they only use the 2nd story. They've lost 3 vehicles as well because the parking lot is ground level with the river bank and between the house and river. The house has been there for about 10 years or so now.

People are just fucking retarded and don't take time to think.
>>
>>922790
In my house all my sewage is pumped out. There's a check valve on the line to prevent backflow.
>>
>>922793
Bongoland (North) resident 'ere - the definiton of an 'flood prone' area appears expanding faster than you could map it, nevermind banning existing (or new) building on such. If based on historical rainfall/river height measurements, etc. - the existing records are being demolished by the minute, and there is no valid basis whatsoever for judging whats gonna be underwater next, other than guesswork.

You cannot 'ban new building' in the centre of Leeds and Manchester, for example - but these, along with basically anything near a river, are the new 'flood prone' - end result, no-one will insure aginst the risk, so nobody will buy, so no-one will build, etc. End of the day, the market shall resolve, and this certainly fucking quicker than the Gub'ment will act in any manner, positive or otherwise.
>>
>>922793
>flood prone areas
i remember when the somerset levels flooded
everyone was surprised that a floodplain suddenly became wet.

>>922806
i live near a few places that have been flooded recently. all the new homeowners and even some of the older adults are all surprised when the rivers burst banks, but you talk to any of the coffin dodgers and they will tell you its happened a few times in their lifetime and they were told stories of it happening before they were born.
we are just idiots.
>>
>build in flood plain
>don't build house on pilings
>floods
>house is wrecked with mud and water
>cry cry cry

They aren't even trying at least a little bit. Then again, I'd not live in a flood/hurricane/tornado area in the first place.
>>
>>922786
We' fukin bri'ish ya cun' fuks i' goa do we you?

But yeah I agree anon, there are some fucking retards who live here in the UK I hate the people and their idiotic ways and moral lives, fucking stupid. But I love the country for it's land and most freedoms.
Every time we move house we always think of "will it flood" fuck, we even lived in a bungalow that was on the riverside, i mean the river belonged to use, a 300 meter stretch of it, the house flood? no because we did our research.

Why buy a house that's going to flood and with shit surrounding flood defences and pay stupid insurance? Fucking cunts.
>>
>>922789
You are fucking retarded. Please leave.
Do you not have air bricks? Extractors?
I hope you are not british as well.
>>
So I suppose the people who built Tadcaster Bridge centuries ago were "retards" for not knowing the area would be flooded all those years later...
>>
>>922836
No that's a bridge built centuries ago, you are retarded for bringing that up when most the thread is about houses and peoples homes being flooded, what the fuck has that got to do with a bridge?
>>
>>922841
>don't build there its a flood place

When were these houses built? Maybe not that long ago but still, maybe it wasn't known for flooding then.
>>
>>922849
>Not know for flooding
>Next to a river
>down steam from a river
>in a hollow
>on flat ground
>stopped dredging rivers
>government cuts on flood defence
>building on flood plain
I cant see into the future and i'm no fucking expert with any numbers or plans at my disposal but these are the things I would look at before building or buying a house.
>>
>>922786
good luck maintaining a water tight seal around an entire house over many years.

just dont build houses in areas that might flood

brits were once renown for their engineering. wtf
>>
>>922786
>Am I missing something?
Yes. 'Waterproof' is not anywhere as easy as you seem to think it is, considering the *entire building* would have to be built that way, too. You'd basically be building a boat.
>>
Why do people live in areas that are destroyed by tornadoes every year?
>>
File: 1390331705676.jpg (94 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
1390331705676.jpg
94 KB, 940x627
>>922797
Flood plains are very fertile, its a conundrum for the ages. Best bet is build a mound and then live on that. The other option is build a levee, but when the levee breaks, have no place to go...dooo da looo do do,
>>
We don't have any land left to build on in Britain that isn't flood plain. We put sand bags at our doors, I assume that means the water doesn't just go through the bricks... What would be so difficult about dual sealing windows and doors, or just a system where you screw down metal plates to a frame in front of the door.
>>
File: 45920.jpg (2 MB, 4592x2754) Image search: [Google]
45920.jpg
2 MB, 4592x2754
>>922882
>'Waterproof' is not anywhere as easy..

- yeah, but houses are, by definition, for the most part, 'watertight' anyway - pic related (and no, idk why shes merrily cleaning windows in midst of a fucking deluge either)

The argument is maybe better phrased, how much more hassle would it be to make houses (at least, temporarily) 'more watertight' (blocking airbricks/vents, submarine doors, etc). The issue then, of course, being, you are merely relocating the problem elsewhere, but, if it was your property at risk? who GAF, can all be happily someone elses problem, pref. some distance downstream.
>>
>>922917
holy shit there is no way those windows are happy.
i would be nowhere near those windows
like fair enough but that must be a lot of force on those windows from that water. yes glass is strong but i doubt the frame and mount were designed for that kind of thing.
>>
>>922912
You fucking idiot there is loadsa room left in Britbong land, just because there is none where you live doesn't mean there isn't any anywhere else, they are building a 3 huge estates around my nearest town and and there's planning for another 5 estates with each estate having around 500 houses.

Luckily I live on a conservation area. and closer to the Peak District. Fuck you cunts who live in citys and towns
>>
>>922951
Oh look its a guy that thinks farms are nothing.
>>
Why not just build houses out of leather?
>>
>>923130
Or houses with a floodable basement that allows the house to float on top.
>>
>>922786
most likely because it is more cost effective to just deal with the flooding than to build to completely prevent it...

flood insurance is a thing...
>>
>>923130
hippy protests senpai
>>
>>922802

It's rained so much in my area that the water table has risen above the foundation of my 110 year old house and it has been upwelling through cracks in the foundation.

It rained about 10 inches in four days, but thankfully hasn't been back since.
>>
>>922825
>Then again, I'd not live in a flood/hurricane/tornado area in the first place.

I can't think of a single place in the US that doesn't have one of:

floods
hurricanes
tornadoes
earthquakes
droughts
wildfires

If you live anyplace long enough you'll eventually run into bad shit. The US and Canadian prairies were destroyed in the 1930's by dust storms- if people had just given up and GTFO at that point we wouldn't now have the most productive agricultural region in the world.
>>
>>922917
>- yeah, but houses are, by definition, for the most part, 'watertight' anyway

First off, the definition of "house" has nothing to do with watertight. Most houses have elaborate systems of gutters specifically designed to direct water away from the house because it's not watertight.

Relatively new masonry construction with relatively modern windows might be pretty darn water resistant, but the majority of housing contains a significant amount of wood framing that's nowhere near watertight due to the expansion and contraction of wood over time. Throw in the fact that any foundation over 10 years old is likely to have a crack or two (or many more, depending on age) and what this means is that very few structures are capable of withstanding the kind of water load in your pic while staying totally dry.

As a matter of fact, your pic doesn't show the floor of that room or the basement of the structure, both of which are likely covered in water.
>>
>>922917
>and no, idk why shes merrily cleaning windows in midst of a fucking deluge either
>Plonkers
>>
File: flood-cleanup-begins1.jpg (534 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
flood-cleanup-begins1.jpg
534 KB, 2048x1536
This can happen anywhere its flattish. Ideally you avoided but its too late for most when it gets to this stage.

One thing you will note is that there will likley be a lot of stuff thrown out which could be salvaged with the right knowledge but isn't.
>>
>>923090
So many cunts in this thread.

I did not say the new estates where being built on farm land, two are being build on fields that have not been used for the 20 years i've known them, one did have a football pitch on but no-one used it only to walk their dogs on. One is being build on a huge piece of waste land that's been untouched for at least 5 years. Three of the largest ones are being built on huge fields that have also not been farmed for as long as i've been alive and another new small estate being build on the site of an old hospital, which has only just been knocked down after laying derelict for 30 years.

I live on the boarder of the Peak District, i'de sooner see farms, animals, wild deer running around the land rather than new housing estates to house dole scum like yourself probably and fucking migrants.

Way to make assumptions you fucking dick.
>>
>>923090
Also what part of
>Luckily I live on a conservation area. and closer to the Peak District. Fuck you cunts who live in citys and towns
made you think I like building on farm land? It clearly says I live in the countryside and I hate towns. Read and think before you type.
>>
>>922802
You mean that your shit runs to a vacuum sewer or you have a macerating pump in the house?

Most houses have an overflow gully before any check valves.
>>
>>922786
black forest valley dweller here. Houses near the little river that turns into a maelstroem of dirt and wild water about every 12 years, owners will fill cellar and groundfloor with clean water before the flood hits, to counter the outside water pressure and keep out all that nasty sand, loam, twings, grass, gravel, oil, corpses, fishishes, snails, crap, oil, etc... Of course sandbags and floodwalls in front of doors and low windows. last time the newer concrete (1970ies) bridges swam away, only the medival massive stone arc bridges withstood, with water shooting over the bridges like a surfers dream wave. why not build somewhere else? well its a narrow valley with steep mountain sides, so...
>>
>>922789
>Waterproof would basically mean airtight as well.
basically NO. Water has bigger molecules than air and a much higher viscosity.

>You don't want you first floor to be airtight.
hell yes i want.

stupid example:
If watertight ships would be airtight they could not sink from tipping ovee. Unsinkable, self-righting ships are pretty expensive, coastal live savers use them.
>>
>>922924
danish windows open to the outside and get closed tight by outside pressure. Think ice storms, flash floods, burglars...
>>
>>922786
turns out foundations and walls are not hermetically sealed. would be cose to have a house that was like a vacuum glass thermos. water would just rise out of any small crack in the floor or wall.
>>
>>922786
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3tCBrPBMMI

the home town of that guy has 7 river valleys converging...
>>
>>923203
where was this picture taken, if one might ask?
>>
>>923278
Looks like the 2004 boxing day tsunami.
>>
>>922786
hydrostatic pressure. (hī'drə-stāt'ĭk) The pressure exerted by a fluid at equilibrium at a given point within the fluid, due to the force of gravity. Hydrostatic pressure increases in proportion to depth measured from the surface because of the increasing weight of fluid exerting downward force from above.
Also I think it was noted water will come up the drains.
>>
My goddamn home is built directly on rock and has two lines of concrete blocks as foundation covered in glassfiber to make it basically waterproof, I'm on a mountain, big storms do not even get over here... problems 'muricans?
>>
>Builds watertight 1st floor
>Watches building collapse under tens of thousands of pounds of water pressing against the walls.
>>
>>923856
Unless you have one way valves installed like on your septic. Unless you live in some backwards ass country.
>>
>>922786
Yes, because clearly all walls are also waterproof.

And of course none of that would be expensive.

Hey here's an idea. Why don't we just:

- make cars that don't break down?
- train doctors who don't make medical mistakes?
- make guns that only shoot for good people?
- raise kids to not post stupid shit like this underthought dribble?
>>
>>923239
It's not a matter of it opening to the inside. It's a matter of it breaking. Water is heavy, and there's a lot of water pushing on those windows.
>>
>>922786
>why can't we just print more money?
>>
>>922789
Why not have windows and doors that are airtight and waterproof up to half their height?
>>
>>923961
>what are aquariums made of?
>>
All of the rich, smart homeowners in Calgary during the 2013 flood bought giant sump pumps to keep the water out of their basements. Unfortunately for them, the world watched on as their foundations imploded from the water pressure (as stated above). Those who moved their shit out of the basement on a moments notice are now back in their homes, and said shit has been restored in it's respective place.

BTW, I was hearing that this shitstorm was going to hit you britfags last week. Same storm caused tornados in Texas, winter storms up the eastern NA seaboard, Shitnami Hurricane in Sunnyvale Trailerpark, and now flooding in Limey McGooberland. No excuse for losing belongings to floodwater.
>>
>>923981

they have tall glasses of water that do not even know what millions of gallons feel like
>>
>>922806
No man, they have all flooded before. When a river bursts it's banks, it's just trying to get back to the flood plains.

It might only happen every 100 years, but it's probably done it every 100 years for millennia.

And flood plains really aren't hard to identify, but we build on them anyway.

And let's not forget that we live in an interglacial period,so these floods will continue
>>
>>923994
Not quite the same storm actually , retard
>>
File: queensland-floods.jpg (117 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
queensland-floods.jpg
117 KB, 640x427
>>923278
QLD Australia 2011.

I happened to be visiting the state through part of it.
>>
File: australia-floods-b_1803765i.jpg (81 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
australia-floods-b_1803765i.jpg
81 KB, 620x388
>>924129
The main reason for posting them is to point out there may be a place for /diy/ britbongs to help these people practically once its over.
>>
>>923915
this...
>>
>>923235
>If watertight ships would be airtight they could not sink from tipping ovee. Unsinkable, self-righting ships are pretty expensive, coastal live savers use them.

Check out Finn-Baltic, a ship that turned around and didn't sink. Two crew members were rescued from the wreck by cutting a hole in the bottom.
Of course ships do leak water, bilge pumps are also a thing.
>>
Waterproof the bottom few feet of your house.

Then get some wooden boards with a plastic lining to seal the bottom few feet of your doorways. Just low enough so that they can still be stepped over (or have a step on either side)
Insulate them so they are waterproof as well.

Flood waters come in, the inside of your house is safe. Your shit is preserved.

If the flood waters rise up to the fucking windows though, you should be thinking evacuation rather than "how to I turn my house into a boat"

Unless of course, your evacuation plan IS to turn your house into a boat. Then I'd recommend preparing for it BEFORE the flood season.
>>
What happening the north of Britain isn't a natural disaster, its just excess rain.
The majority damage is to furniture.
>>
If you water proof you house up to waist hight say, once the water breaches that then its going to be a lot hard to get the water out of you house when the flood subsides.
>>
>>923211
>bitches about people making assumptions
>makes assumptions
>>
>>923981
Glass that was sealed in a frame specifically designed to withstand that kind of pressure. Which isn't the case with most building windows.
>>
>>923915
Yeah it's impossible to build sturdy structures, that's why mud huts are superior. I can rebuild em from the shit that washed up in me yard!
>>
>>922786
Why not do what us Florida folks do: build on short-stilts and disguise them as foundations? Or simply make the ground floor the car garage and then the first floor the home? that way you get 8 feet of water clearance?
>>
i don't get it, i live in a huge floodrisking area(Netherlands) and we just build polders and dykes.
it's not rocket sience, it's waterworks sience.
>>
Pickering managed not to flood.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-flooding-how-a-yorkshire-flood-blackspot-worked-with-nature-to-stay-dry-a6794286.html
>>
>>924286
>i don't get it.. it's not rocket sience..
- no, buts its Britain. What you are suggesting requires plannning, foresight, a positive approach and co-operation by all involved for the greater good. Us natives of Bongonia, we'd rather drown than learn anything from damned furreigners who may or may not have been successfully coping with water management for x-hundred years, etc.

As said - its Britain, we're fucked, fuggedit.
>>
>>924286
We all can't have little boys hanging out all day long waiting with a finger ready for when a dyke springs a leak.
>>
>>923160
I live in Detroit, in the last 10 years
Tornadoes, 2 years ago an entire town was flattened by 1
We actually had out biggest earthquake ever not long ago, it wasn't bad, but skyscrapers were shaking.
We had 3 major floods, a 4 mile stretch of freeway was full of abandoned vehicles for over a week
We've been touched by the outer band of 2 tropical storms that made landfall.

And we're not even a bad spot for any of those things, just really hot summers and really cold winters. Our highest last summer was around 105, and our lowest the winter before was around -32. About 70 years ago we had an ice storm that was so powerful that it was laying enough ice on buildings that it toppled some small houses.

Bad weather is something that happens everywhere, maybe not as frequently in some places, but it only takes one bad instance to destroy your house
>>
>>922795
What about floodplains? Clues in the name there m80.
>>
>>922894
That's anothe thing. Why do the americlaps who live in tornado areas seem to live in shitty prefabbed wood-framed shacks with no secure inner room or basement?
>>
>>923130
So... tents?
>>
>>922786
>first floor perfectly waterproofed
>ground floor: fucked
>>
>>924298
oh you
>>924296
i guess, it was the sam at us when we still had winters, traffic jams and train delay everywhere.
we could've used the north japanese winter tech
>>
File: Tornado_Alley.gif (97 KB, 742x582) Image search: [Google]
Tornado_Alley.gif
97 KB, 742x582
>>922894
>>924355
Because tornados happen over more than a million square miles in the US, and not everyone can afford a nice place to live
>>
>>924365
American's don't believe in floor 0, or ground floor, we start counting things at 1. So a one story house has a first floor. in europe, a house that has a single story has... 2 floors? because it has floor 0 and floor 1? yeah, that works the way we count things.
Also, common for old buildings in the states to skip 13 when numbering floors because muh bad luck.

Also, >>923856 is right, a sealed house is likely to be pushed over, whereas one filled with water will be more resistant to the pressure.

And >>923232 is probably more to keep the foundation walls from buckling.
>>
File: 1.jpg (51 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
51 KB, 480x640
>>922894
I've lived in Tulsa, OK my whole life. Tornado alley as its called. Damaging tornados are so rare its really a non-issue. All we do is go outside and drink a beer while we watch the skies.

It's actually really fucking cool. Everything gets calm, rain stops, the wind dies down (until you've got a tornado nearby), there's a yellow-green tint to everything, and a smell I can't really describe in the air.

Pic isn't mine but it shows the color pre-tornado.
>>
>>922872
You can thank the EU for us not dredging, and our stupid successive governments for following such a ridiculous directive - unlike the Dutch who tell the EU to get fucked.
>>
>>923188
Kek, spotted that too
>>
File: 1386605841298.gif (727 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1386605841298.gif
727 KB, 500x500
>>922830
>>We' fukin bri'ish ya cun' fuks i' goa do we you?
>>
File: 042211.png (376 KB, 609x600) Image search: [Google]
042211.png
376 KB, 609x600
>>924643
I can verify all of this. One thing further is that after the wind dies down, if you've got one nearby the wind will actually REVERSE direction. When that happens, your ass is toast. That freight train sound is everything airborne: your neighbors house, cars, everything.
St. Louisan here, I've seen two in my life, and never ever want to see another.
>>
>>924643nz vv HM a nn.jj MN hubbub a we Mmm
Mah nigga.

When streetlamps come on at 2 in the afternoon. And then the sky turns eerily green. Oh shit.

That and good ol 80-90 mph winds.

The good life my ass.
>>
>>925083
Jesus I don't know what happened to the first part.
>>
>>923235
i feel like you have no idea how the buoyancy of boats works...
>>
>>924355
farming areas tend to be poorer.

they still need housing so they build shitty trailers

tornadoes happen

gosh damned rednecks fly the fuck away.
>>
File: 12.jpg (51 KB, 648x350) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
51 KB, 648x350
>>923160

>floods
>hurricanes
>tornadoes
>earthquakes
>droughts
>wildfires

I live in a place where none of this occurs.

No, I'm not telling you where it is.
>>
Let us all just learn from the Dutch, they know what they are doing.
>>
>>925902
Yep one day last year they generated 140% of their power supply form wind.
>>
>>925904
Their system has a strong focus on education as well. Sure could use that focus across the Atlantic. I'm interested in how they will deal with rising sea levels, should it be as bad or worse than predicted. Personally I believe they can pull it off and figure something out, but it will be interesting.
>>
>>925628
Me too. Maybe some minor floodings every ten years because there's a bit strange climate because of territory formation that causes a year's rain in a single day every autumn but nothing destructive at all
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.