[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AC to AC transformer help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151229_055028.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_055028.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Hey /diy/, I am troubleshooting these old speakers that look like hubcaps. Right, so their sound started cutting out at maybe a third of their max volume right after the house circuit it was on had some difficulty grounding itself. Pretty suspicious, so I thought that the power supply had been damaged. I wanted to test the system with my bench power supply but found out that it takes 13VAC 5A.

I have not seen many electronics that take low voltage AC so this is new. Where do you even buy replacement transformers? All I found was Ebay has this a halogen transformer at 12VAC that might work but I don't want to spend money before I know what it is I need.

Any suggestions? I want loud music again.
>>
>>921739
>alloywheel speakers
>Loud music

Pick one.
>>
a lot of AC devices will work fine with a DC input coz they're just gonna rectify the AC anyway. so you can use your bench supply, no harm will come to the amp.
>>
although you will need to adjust the DC voltage to about 1.4x the AC voltage to get the same effect, so use 18Vdc.
>>
File: IMG_20151230_090511.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_090511.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>922306
Thanks for the info. I'd like to give that a try but first is there a source for that? I'd like to trust /diy/ but this is 4chan, and people have been known to give.. bad advice.

>>922292
They get loud enough for my workout dungeon and it's hard to beat free. This a picture of one of the satellites which has a LED that pulses to the music. High Technology!
>>
File: rectifier.gif (12 KB, 372x326) Image search: [Google]
rectifier.gif
12 KB, 372x326
>>922355

13Vrms = 18.38 volts peak according to wolframalpha.com. when you rectify and filter AC, the resulting DC voltage is roughly equal to the peak value.

however, you dont have to go to 18, you can try it at 13 first, it'll probably work fine. you'll have to go to 18, tho, to get max available power without distortion.
>>
link is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+13Vrms+in+peak+voltage
>>
File: fAnZD1m.jpg (937 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
fAnZD1m.jpg
937 KB, 2448x1836
>>922449
Thanks for helping me out, I really should learn my basic electronics soon. So I tried 12-19VDC 5A and got this grunge/futzy bass out of it but nothing else.

Is the Ebay halogen transformer my best bet? I measured the suspect PSU and it's outputting around 14VAC so 12VAC should be within that range.
>>
>>922860
If its outputting 14vac its probably fine. its just a transformer so there isn't a lot to go wrong.

i'm guessing the problem is with the speaker itself or something on the input side. go buy a new speaker off craigslist for 10 bux
>>
>>921739
Oddly enough I've just had a low voltage AC lamp intermittently fail because of a bad transformer, after running for a while the secondary would go open circuit but I think its an internal secondary coil thermal fuse that's failing.
>>
>>922860
>Is the Ebay halogen transformer my best bet?

No unless its a classic iron cored one which are rare these days.
>>
I reckon its a good bet its not the transformer at fault.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.