[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mold prevention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
Dear /diy/kes,

My home is being extensively remodeled (adding a 2nd story) and the old structure with T&G sheathing had some apparent water issues noticeable after being gutted.
There are no obvious indications of mold issues but are there any suitable products/coatings to apply to clean/kill/prevent mold growth to old wood sheathing now, before we close everything up again with possible added benefit of potentially preventing mold growth if there are any water intrusions in the future?
>>
I would just house wrap than siding. There are products like killz but if you don't have mold you should not have to worry.
>>
>>921469
>>921497
This.

Maybe wipe down with bleach let dry and paint with kilz drylok or something

Also if possible figure what happened the first time and make sure it doesn't happen agian. Seriously id watch my contractor like a hound if it was me. But this is more of I've had to fix too much bullshit at my job that our subs
fucked up.
>>
>>921511
>>921497

I was thinking about painting over with Killz as well on some old spots on the old T&G siding but thought there were better products suited for this, thanks!

House was built in the 1940s and had leaky pipes removed in the late 1970s (been in the family) so I just wanted to cover all my bases while it's opened up.
>>
Hate to hijack OP's thread, but I've got a similar question. Awhile back my grandma had a leak in her bathroom in her... I guess it's called a mother-in-law section? Anyways, she was the only one who used it and naturally she never noticed a pretty fucking horrible leak, which we fixed as soon as we did. Now there's black mold that we've been fighting back for about 2 months slowly but surely. We tore out all the drywall, and any frame that we could do without, and it has only came back once since, but I'm wondering if there's more we could do (this is my dads retirement home, not taking any chances). My uncle said that we could try to heat the room up to over 150 degrees, but no residential portable heater will do this.
>>
>>922405
Usually in this situation I would rent some dehumidifiers and fans, rip out the rotted material, repair leak, rebuild.
>>
Copper sulfate, soak the wood with a solution of it or add to mortar and mold won't touch it
>>
>>923461
>dehumidifiers
*facepalm* I didn't even think of it. We've had fans going for awhile, probably helped some. Also I sprayed a bleach solution when we first found it (and scrubbed it), and again when it came back.

Thanks man, I honestly didn't think of that... god I feel dumb.
>>
>>921469
>>921469
Treat existing sheathing with a borate solution (ie Borax). Then you can add housewrap and siding. If your building code calls for it, you'll need rainscreen strapping to create a drainage cavity which will help as well.
>>
>>923653
Where do you get that?

I've wondered before why sulfer isn't recommended for mold. It's cheap, pretty non-toxic and available at any gardening dept.
>>
>>924052
>isn't recommended
I mean, I haven't seen it recommended, though it's a fungicide.
>>
>>923972
You will know better for next time.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.