[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Identify wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151228_143017.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_143017.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
Help identifying wood.
Timber flooring from 60yo house in south east queensland.

Im ripping up shitty layers of carpet and lino off it. I lightly sanded a patch of the floor with 320grit and wet it for the photo.

Not sure if its a waxy type of wood and it needs a special sealant or if i can just throw a normal poly coat on it after a pass with the belt sander. Also, water based or oil based poly?
>>
Yep, that's wood.
>>
>>921215
pine.
>>
>>921241
looks like pine to me as well.
>>
why do you americans always have to take a product of nature and cover it in some bullshit chemicals and make it a different color.

seriously, youre fucking up.
>>
>>921308
Denatured alcohol. Tannic acid. And red iron oxide. Will make that exact color.. Also the finish is so it doesnt warp. Why do shitheads who disagree with something always have to blame a whole country...
>>
File: 14513013668072139662094.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
14513013668072139662094.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>921308
>bullshit chemicals
>wiped it down with water
That's raw cedar. Or so the hardware store guy told me from the picture.
>>
>>921308
Every country in the world has used stain. Staining wood has been around longer than the US.

>>921325
It's pine. The hardware store guy is an idiot. I've worked with plenty of pine and cedar. Old dirty pine can look reddish when wet, but cedar never has knots like that.
>>
File: micro_groove_555_-_havana_oak.jpg (939 KB, 1772x1772) Image search: [Google]
micro_groove_555_-_havana_oak.jpg
939 KB, 1772x1772
I'd have said pine also. It has a long consistent grain and I've found knots to be common in pine.

Oak tends to have transverse/alternating and short grain patterns but is also commonly used as flooring.
>>
>>921308

>OP is Austrialian
>OP wiped it with water

I'd be a thousand dollars you're one of those wood working hipsters. I bet you buy expensive antique hand planes and only use BLO on your wood.
>>
>>921360
definitely NOT oak - oak is VERY EASY to identify and this is not it.
also this is a sub floor - pine is VERY likely for a subfloor especially in an old house. if house is really old the pine would be both the sub and finished floor at the same time.
cedar would be very expensive to use as a subfloor. also if you make a little cut into cedar you would be able to smell that it was cedar.
>>
>>921322
>>921325
>>921342
>>921360
>>921397
>OP wiped with water
>considers PU coat or special sealant
>the finish is so it doesnt warp
>"fuck you people have been staining 4evr"
>"fuck you for probably using linseed oil even though it's not that bad and people have been using it for forever"

oh ya fuck me im obviously the idiot here
>>
>>921308
R U proposing that one leaves all woodwork completely raw?
that's a great plan.
>>
>>921403
>>OP wiped with water
You don't use water to lift the grain for glass smooth sanding?
>>considers PU coat or special sealant
Polyurethane is the standard coating for floors because it's harder wearing than most finishes.
>>the finish is so it doesnt warp
A sealing finish does help with warping by slowing moisture transfer
>>"fuck you people have been staining 4evr"
Staining wood has been around for all of recorded history.
>>"fuck you for probably using linseed oil even though it's not that bad and people have been using it for forever"
BLO has it's place, it's not on the floor and it's not the magic perfect finish you hipsters seem to think it is.

>oh ya fuck me im obviously the idiot here
Sums it up nicely, yeah.
>>
>>921404
no, no ones proposed that yet

>>921413
oh well you seem pretty well educated.
where did you apprentice?

or maybe you paid a shit ton to spend for years at some bullshit college.

or could it be that some asshole told you to do it that way when you two worked out of his garage
and now that you have you're own garage you feel the need to keep up the traditions.

face it, you have spent you're whole career working with exactly 3 types of finish and will continue to do so.
you're obviously not a classical furniture maker, but you arent a carpenter either.
you're a glorified handy man.
>>
>>921417
I'm a cabinet maker by trade. I apprenticed at a small shop in Northern Minnesota that no longer exists since the owner died about a decade back.

I own my own shop and employ 12 guys.

I also do make furniture as a hobby and you can buy it in a couple of shops in Minneapolis if you get around. I've also displayed work in the American Association of Woodturners' Gallery of Wood Art in Saint Paul.

I've used a great deal of finishes in my time, but yes, I do only use a limited number of finishes at my shop.
>>
File: 25002.png (744 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
25002.png
744 KB, 500x661
>>921239
>Yep, there's wood
>>
>>921427
Which shops? I'm in the Cities
>>
>>921400
That's what I said... Pine. Not oak.

My point was I've found oak to be more common in hardwood flooring than pine and for that reason anyone who wouldn't know the difference may presume it was oak.
>>
>>921397
Nope but I own a single Stanley no4 plane.

>>921322
Finish doesn't stop warp. In furniture it does, if sealed properly. But for a floor that shifts over time and is only going to be coated on one side, that's not going to help. You can't even glue the boards together or fill the gaps. It will just split over time. Floating floors are different but generally come finished.

>>921403
Linseed oil rots. It can go rancid. Just thought you should know this. I only use it in the garden on tools or in oil paintings.

>>921417
3 finishes is more than enough for most tasks. I use shellac for my furniture building, poly for flooring and epoxy for surfaces.

Thing is, for most purposes, two coats of poly is going to be fine for most tasks. For showpieces like 15$k pianos and shit like that it's nice though. Idk, its just to make it easier to clean for me. Difficult to get grease stains out of raw timber.
>>
look at those resin canals, its obviously pine

the cross field pitting is window like, another obvious sign of pine
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.