[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Controllable DC Fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 457x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 457x322
Dear /diy/nosaurs, could some based anon please link me to a DC fan (about cpu sized) that I can run on variable voltage, either:
1) about 0-24v
2) about 0-12v?

Thank you. I know there'll be a cut out at lower voltages due to insufficient inertia, but I was hoping to power these fans with a motor speed controller.
>>
>>920652
If you want a CPU-sized variable-speed 12v fan, why not use a CPU fan?

You control it with a 5v PWM signal.

Economies of scale means it'll be cheaper, and you'll have a wider selection.

The spec says 30% duty cycle is the minimum starting power, and they're supposed to not stall if you keep it there or higher, but some do.

Fortunately, you also get a sense wire so you can see exactly how the fan is spinning.
>>
>>920675
Good idea. Thank you.
I'll look into that
>>
>>920675
>Fortunately, you also get a sense wire so you can see exactly how the fan is spinning.
Is that the what the yellow one is for?
>>
I have a fan that has 4 connectors. The red and one black are for power, what about the yellow and other black?
>>
>>920869
Oh my god, just google it, you fucking idiot
>>
>>920746
>>920869
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5Crev1_2_public.pdf
>>
I mean on the one hand, I'm finding things saying it's for PWM but can't you just PWM the supply anyway? But on the other hand I'm reading about tachos, so is the other pin for that? Because any pinouts I find just say "+5 gnd gnd +12).

So +5 is PWM? That's an educated guess seeing as the dicks who designed this clearly decided to make this as intractable as possible by simply calling it +5v, rather than labelling it for its function.

So if we have supply, ground, pwm and, for some reason (maybe just to waste plastic and metal) they put a redundant gnd pin in.

Or is that actually the tacho, but these same dickheads decided to troll newbs by calling it gnd too?

Believe me I'd love it if a basic web search would give me a helpful, straight fucking answer but it clearly doesn't.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.