[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer lift (Linear Actuator Electric Motor)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: POL-2311.png (296 KB, 1024x595) Image search: [Google]
POL-2311.png
296 KB, 1024x595
Hey diy!

I would like to make myself a small lift to lift my computer tower from underneath the window to in a direct line out the window.

My plan is to just have the actuator mounted on top of a box that's on wheels that is just small enough to hold the tower underneath the desk when not in use. The actuator will be fixed to the top of the box and a plate on the other end for the tower to sit on.

Do I need something to stabilize the platform seeing as the only thing holding it will be the single actuator shaft?

Looking at designs for bigger projects they all have the single actuator in the center with 4 gas springs in the corners. Could these be used to lift the whole project instead of an actuator?

I am also having trouble finding how loud these things run, is the motor constantly running while under load or just while lifting?
>>
>>920617
>Do I need something to stabilize the platform seeing as the only thing holding it will be the single actuator shaft?
From the ones I've handled, yes. You would need some kind of rack arrangement that would move up and down, and then the actuator just does the lifting.
>I am also having trouble finding how loud these things run, is the motor constantly running while under load or just while lifting?
loudness depends. The motors only run when they are moving. None of them move very fast.

If you are USAfag, this place-- http://www.surpluscenter.com/
sells some cheaper linear actuators, under the "electric motors" section.
The smallest and cheapest ones they sell are usually takeouts or surplus from car power seat actuators, or car power window actuators.
>>
>>920617
These things are just a geared down DC motor that drives a worm drive that extends and retracts a rack unit.
They also have a limit or reed switch at each end of it's stroke to disconnect the supply to the motor.
Also bear in mind that you reverse the direction by the polarity of the DC voltage applied to the motor.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>920617
You're building a mechanism to eject your computer out of the window? Why? In case the fbi knock on your door while you're fapping?
>>
>>920617
>I would like to make myself a small lift to lift my computer tower from underneath the window to in a direct line out the window.
you want to throw your computer out of the window?

there are better ways to destroy evidence anon.
set up a see-saw and sit the computer on it.
when the cops come just stamp on the other end and the computer will jump out the window.
>>
>>921105
>>921103

Haha sorry I guess I didn't explain myself properly it is just to bring the computer up to the same level as the window so the hot air can flow straight out the window.
>>
Lol just invest in exotic cooling, phase cooling or liquid cooling.

But if you must have an ejection system for you PC you could run a single linear acurator with a frame/track made from 80x20 extruded aluminum, use some 80x20 linear bearings too, they are excellent.

80x20.net
>>
>>921540
just rig up a pulley
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.