[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get my computer to play though the speakers of my tv?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Snapchat-4709041493996811603.jpg (703 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4709041493996811603.jpg
703 KB, 1440x2392
How can I get my computer to play though the speakers of my tv?

I have it hooked up with a VGA right now, or can I only use computer speakers? Is there a way to hook it up to a surround sound system?
>>
File: Snapchat-3974848113166939706.jpg (927 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3974848113166939706.jpg
927 KB, 1440x2392
The tv
>>
File: Snapchat-923417547477877088.jpg (715 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-923417547477877088.jpg
715 KB, 1440x2392
The aux cord on the vga didn't work
>>
>>920479
you could use an aux cord
>>
I have mine hooked up through my tv and I use an hdmi but on my older graphics card it didn't support audio through hdmi so I still had video via hdmi and used an audio cable the plugged into the audio out jack on the back of my computer and it split into left and right and my hdmi port on the tv had an audio in next to it and it worked for me
>>
>>920479
>hook it up to a surround sound system?

depends how the tv is set up

if tv has ARC HDMI to surround sound it should just work

if you watch tv on a set top box through the surround sound then you need to put the audio from the pc through the surround sound

how is the vga/aux connected to the pc, did you do it correctly?

>>920481
as it is here it should play audio through tv speakers, you could run a spdif whatever fibre optical cable or rca from the tv audio out to the surround sound.
>>
>>920484
>>920492
I tried the aux cord I use in my car and that worked. I guess the one the the vga is split somewhere. Thanks
>>
>>920479
You have two options

- Best and easiest: If your computer has a HDMI output, connect that to the TV and you'll be covered for video and audio
- Last resort: Use the VGA input and a headphone cable for that audio plug
>>
>>920479
>vga
>video graphics array
>>
Can a TV ignore the sound component of HDMI input and use another source instead?

I have an older Mac which doesn't have an HDMI port. I'm using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter but my computer's displayport version does not support audio.

If I use the HDMI input on my TV for video, can I use a male to male audio cable off my computer and configure that as the audio source? I haven't bought the cable yet so I haven't been able to try.
>>
>>921527
Depends on the TV.

Usually no.

You could use an HDMI/DVI and the DVI port of your TV if it has one.
>>
>>921539
>>921527
Failing that, it's a pricey HDMI audio inserter like http://cgi.ebay.com/251755946757 , I'm afraid.
>>
>>921539
>You could use an HDMI/DVI and the DVI port of your TV if it has one.
I'm not sure I understand, could you elaborate?

To be clear, I currently have an adapter between my computer's mini-displayport, to an HDMI cable, into the TV.

I'm also not exactly sure what ports I have, I'll have to check when I move back after the holidays. But thanks for your help anyway! If it's going to be expensive like that I'll just turn up the volume on my laptop like I do now, or buy some external speakers.
>>
>>920479

What middle school did you steal that computer from?
>>
>>921563
>HDMI
>VGA
Why the fuck would you say it was going over VGA when it was actually going over HDMI?

Fucking A.

I recommend you right click on the little speaker icon on the bottom right of your computer and then right click on your monitor and say 'use as default device'
>>
>>921591
You might have misread. As I said, I'm using a Mac. I also didn't mention anything about VGA. I'm not OP if that's what you're thinking.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.