[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
building a drum set
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: Solid-Curly-Cherry-Kit.jpg (29 KB, 400x312) Image search: [Google]
Solid-Curly-Cherry-Kit.jpg
29 KB, 400x312
so I've decided my next project is going to be building a basic 4 piece drum set (2 tom toms, a snare and bass drum)

I'm hoping to use pre made shells, as i havent got the tools or space for those tools to make them myself. Im struggling to find a place to source the materials i need. does anybody know where I can source drum shells, lugs and hardware of custom size in the UK?

also anybody who has built their own instrument would be great to hear about it, any advice on my project would be appreciated
>>
>>920448
Why does the hardware need to be custom? Why not use "replacement" hardware? It seems asinine to get a 14 inch rim custom made for a pre made 14 inch shell. Same thing with the lugs and tuning screws. It's just going to be a lot of extra money to get this stuff machined when parts that do the same thing will do the same thing.

You're probably not going to find this stuff locally, an if you do it'll cost more than what you can find online.
>>
>>920448
music shop
>>
Since you are buying the shells, you can... oh, you are buying the lugs.... oh, you are buying the hardware. I guess you will diy the skins? If you are buying the skins too, you may as well just buy a used drum set on ebay that has the kind of shells you want, and do some finessing/finishing to make them sound and look great to you..
>>
File: drum_set_barrel.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
drum_set_barrel.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
I've looked into making a stave drum, myself. If you get raw shells already made, they can cost more than a finished drum (depending on wood) and the hardware will cost more than buying or making a shell.

Best bet is to buy a cheap or "project" drum on ebay or craigslist, and use it for parts.

I'd still like the build a drum, but I'm still working on my xylophone.

(pic is inspiration)
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.