[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Refridgerator section not cooling, freezer is fine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: hqdefault.jpg (4 KB, 192x266) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
4 KB, 192x266
I have a side by side fridge in garage that's acting up. The refrigerator side isn't working right... it's drifted up to 60F in the compartment. The freezer side is fine.

I've dialed up the cooling setting on the fridge side and gotten that side down to 40F (was set at 4/7, now 7/7).

Something's obviously wrong with it, but I don't know enough about how these units work. The cooling / compressor's functional, or it wouldn't cool at all. Thoughts on what I should look at appreciated.
>>
>>920357
Thermostat's busted on the refrigerator side
>>
File: 1448283084568.jpg (30 KB, 540x771) Image search: [Google]
1448283084568.jpg
30 KB, 540x771
>>920359
Beat me to it. Pic unrelated
>>
Keeping house refrigerators in the garage will ruin them if you live somewhere where it gets cold because it messes with the thermostat
>>
A lot of refrigerators just pump cold air to the freezer section then let it flow through vents to the refrigerator section. Check that the vents aren't blocked off by frost or food.
>>
>>920359
Thanks, will check that. Given fridge temp moved when I adjusted it, thinking this must be it.

>>920398
Reading up, sounds like there's a vent control from freezer to fridge. Will check that also.
>>
>>920407
I had this same problem with my fridge vent
it had gotten stuck somehow..
>>
>>920386
I don't have this issue. Opposite; live in S FL and garage is quite hot.
>>
>>920357
If you don't have too much in there, take everything out into your indoor freezer. Then unplug it and let everything defrost, clean it all out taking off panels and wiping everything down.

I had an old SBS that went loopy and it worked just fine after doing that to it.

Also had over under in one of my apartments a renter complained about where the fridge compartment started getting warm and milk spoiled in a matter of days. She was storing plastic grocery bags on top of the fridge, wedging them under the cabinets. When I pulled out the fridge there was a dozen plastic bags that had worked their way down to the floor blocking the compressor compartment. There was plastic bags quite literally melted to the compressor. The unmelted ones were insulating it, the entire compartment was hot to the touch. I kept her fucking deposit when she moved out.
>>
>>920357
make sure the fan is working to circulate the air. many fridges cool the freezer compartment with the actual evaporator coil and then just blow air from the freezer to the fridge to cool the fridge. there are also dampers between the two sections to block airflow when the fridge is cold enough
>>
>>920357
Van or tuu konbressors? If juu häv just van konbbressor den it kuuls föörst dö friisör än den dö friz. Deer is samtink vroong vit dö söörkit from dö friisör tu dö friz. Mait bii oolso dö termostadt.
If juu häv tuu konbressors den van mait bii bastöd. Obviosli its dö van dät rans dö friz.oli
>>
>>920521

>HOW DO I SPEAK ENGLISH

so what compelled you to respond in german or whatever that gay shit is... instead of english when the OP posted in english and obviously speaks ENGLISH
>>
>>920525
Jesus man, give the guy a break, not everybody speaks english you know.
>>
>>920521
>>920525
samu wann hazu sanndo inn hizu bachaina ai shii.
>>
>>920525
>Deer is samtink vroong.. = its fucked.
- all perfectly understandable, you're just not trying, anon.
>>
>>920521
Van konbressor. Deer is samtink vroong bit thermostat metinks.
>>
>>920357
is that pic your fridge? with different types of fridges the same symptom can have different causes because of how cold air is circulated through the fridge, where the cold air is generated (cold air sinks, so in a top freezer the cold air naturally sinks down to the fridge so the fan does slightly less work, opposite with bottom freezers, etc.) if this is in fact the fridge you have I recommend getting a french door or bottom freezer. I currently work at sears as a wageslave and used to work for habitat for humanity and everyone agrees that side by side fridges suck donkey cock because big pizzas don't fit unless you fold them into tacos.
>>
>>921586
same anon, forgot to mention it might also be that your fan is running slow or is gunned up. an oversimplified version of how fridges work is that cold air is made in the freezer and then some is blown into the fridge depending on settings. if the fan motor is damaged, running slower than it should, etc. it causes this problem all the time. another potential problem is the heating element (ironic isn't it that fridges have heating elements?) that doesn't defrost the tubes that the freon flows through to make air cold. Depending on what type you have, you might want to open up the panel wherever to find it. pic related, that's what you're looking for. if it's all frosty the snow man, you've probably got a busted defrost heating element and just need to order a new one because frost causes air to not be able to flow through the freon coil properly, means no new cold air generated, SOL for fridge compartment. Sometimes it's both the fan and the heating element and then all sorts of fun stuff happens.
also just a word of maintenance, the NUMBER ONE thing that kills fridges is dust/hair/whatever collecting around the freon compressor and cooling fan right next to it. it is located on the bottom back of all fridges and usually has a weird cardboardish cover. every 6 months or so (more often if house has cats or dogs, naked mole rats are fine) pull out your fridge, unscrew that cardboard thing at the bottom (fancy fridges have metal ones but it's the same panel) and you'll see a big ball (that's the compressor) and a fan and some other stuff like tubes and pipes going every which way. Vacuum the shit out of all of it. hair, dust, etc. will gum up either the fan or coat that ball and insulate it. it will kill your fridge because then the compressor can't cool off, overheats, no bueno. hope my rant helps.
>>
>>920386
never had this happens but makes sense, mental note taken
>>
>>921596
forgot image and didn't realize you specified you had a side by side. not doing so hot today. But Dum Tssss....
>>
File: 1433318.png (8 KB, 812x732) Image search: [Google]
1433318.png
8 KB, 812x732
>>920521
>>920525
>>920526
>>920529
>>920531
>>920592
kek'd pretty hard
>>
>>920357
Temporarily you could try to jerry-rig the regulating vent between the freezer and fridge, if you need. Most of my experience is with central A/C, so I don't know much about fridges except the general concept.

>been there, done that
Duct tape and a thermometer goes a long way with a fried motor/thermostat, when you're financially stretched.... which, if you weren't, this thread wouldn't exist.

Rich people don't do shit like this.
>>
>>920592
Ach. Would have been easier of a problem with two compressors... One is fukt!
>>920398
This is one option. I have never seen a fridge that works like this but the world is a big place. In Japan the fridges were seriously freaky compared to those over my part of the globe.

Clean it up, defrost, clean the backside and then plug it in and hope for the best. If the easy fix is not working then maybe look at the thermostat. Maybe open it up and post a picture so that curious eyes might have a peek!
>>
>>920398
>A lot of refrigerators just pump cold air to the freezer section then let it flow through vents to the refrigerator section
>>922464
>I have never seen a fridge that works like this

Really? I've never seen a top-freezer unit that *didn't* work like this. It's a fairly sensible design, except that the vent almost always clogs with ice because the grumble grumble ain't like they used to be grumble made in mexico grumble chinamen build quality that the newer models have.
>>
could be the epr on certain models
>>
check airflow first

>passages from freezer to fridge at top and bottom==clear that shit out
>excessive frost buildup in freezer coils==check defrost system or air leaks
>>
>>920491
^this
just unplug leave to defrost, most the time its just ice on the tubes, got the same problem a month ago, it was just ice
>>
>>922964
>>I have never seen a fridge that works like this
>Really?

In my parts they have a cooler unit inside both the freezer and the fridge. There is some sort of mechanism (mechanical obstruction in the tubing?) that prevents the fridge side from pumping too much heat out. They have only one thermostat which sucks as the temp correlates between the fridge and freezer.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.