[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how strong are shipping containers when they stand verticaly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Adam-Kalkin-Pirate-Radio-Tower2.jpg (259 KB, 709x450) Image search: [Google]
Adam-Kalkin-Pirate-Radio-Tower2.jpg
259 KB, 709x450
how strong are shipping containers when they stand verticaly? how unstable would it be if you had two 40ft ones stacked on top of each other? because if it was relatively easy, you could make a super badass tower pretty cheap.
>>
>another thread about impractical bullshit pipedreams

>not considered spam and deleted

What is your question queero?
>>
>>920338
can i build a tower out of two containers without having to reinforce it to shit and it ending up costing more than my house?
>>
>>920339
lolno
>>
>>920341
ok
>>
>>920341
so what about just one with observation deck on top? 40ft would still make a rether nice tower.
>>
>>920337
>pretty cheap
Lol wut
>>
>>920350
>being so poor to concider containers expensive
>>
>>920351
>thinking buying a container, hiring a crane, building foundations, powder coating, painting, fit out would be cheaper or comparable with strength or longevity of concrete form work.
>>
>>920353
>paying to find a oven that will fit a shipping container.

Heh.

Hey.
>>
>>920353
what fit out? you mean installing a ladder? coating? just patch the rusty spots, hack some random laths around it here and there and let it overgrow with ivy.

the only thing i dont know is how hard would it be to secure it to the ground so that it doesent get tip over by some heavy wind. could you maybe just fill the bottom few meters with sand, or something to have it sable enough?
>>
>>920353
I dont want to fucking livein it! I just want a lookout tower, you dip!
>>
>>920364
I gathered you wouldn't. No communist cuck lord is that decrepit.
>>
>>920370
So what did you mean by fit in?
>>
>>920337

They're fine for stacking...it's what they're made for. They were not made to be buried.
>>
>>920427
they are not made to be stacked vertivally
>>
>>920337
Pretty weak. They're meant to stack horizontally. That means not buried, not stacked vertically and not anyfucking thing else.

Just like with everything else connex related, unless you can get a 40 footer for $1000, you can do more or do the same for cheaper with traditional building means.
>In this case, if I had to wing it, I'd use galvanized pipe and make a lattice mast.
>Diying anything 80 foot tall sounds stupid and dangerous as fuck though tbqh pham.
>>
>>920427
buried container here:
http://diply.com/most-amazing/article/diy-shipping-container-cellar
U-tube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo

looks like he didn't backfill against the container walls. the 6" cement slab he put on top was much wider then the container.
>>
>>920427
They're made to be stacked on the load-bearing uprights between the twistlocks.

They're not made to be stacked any-old how.
>>
>>920346
I'd at least bolt some 8x8 beams in the corners.
>>
>>920464
I wonder if he will install a sump pump? If not, he'll have a water jacketed bunker lol.

>rock walls

That is a key element to preventing lateral hydrostatic forces and the only reason this can possible work correctly.
>>
>stand 40ft container on its face
>fill the bottom with rocks / sand / concrete
>???
>profit

what part of this would fail?
>>
>>920480
a 30 gallon sump pump well was mentioned in the article... maybe not in the video...
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 194x259
the real problem here is the lack of structural support throughout the tower; you wouldn't want to jump from one end to the other, it would feel like a reverse pendulum.

you would also have to bolt them together, (how) and you'd have to find a way to adequately support AND anchor it down, which would definitely require some welding and technique.

Not to mention your enemies could literally push the thing over, wind too.

If you want cheap + height, you want scaffolding. Cheaper than containers, customizable per location.

I wish I lived in a forest next to a home depot where no one cared what I did, I'd make a scaffold forest.
>>
>>920534
>fill the bottom with rocks / sand / concrete

woulnt that give it enough stability?
>>
>>920539
No. The bottom wall would just pop off.
>>
>>920534
having a freestanding tower like that seems scary af
>>
>>920534
>you would also have to bolt them together, (how) and you'd have to find a way to adequately support AND anchor it down, which would definitely require some welding and technique.

lol this guy thinks its just gravity that holds a container onto a ship or railcar. point at him and laugh.
>>
>>920565
They're only designed to stack in one orientation. You can't turn them vertically and pile them up, any more than you could a lego brick.
>>
>>920518
Then it should be fine
>>
http://dornob.com/50-foot-wooden-tower-is-a-brilliant-diy-backyard-solution/

so you mean to tell me that this a better idea than a post apocalyptic rusty container watch tower?

stop ruining my warboy dreams /diy/ !
>>
>>920358
They're called apartment appliances.
>>
>>920565
so you've seem a ship stacking these things vertically have you?
do you think they put bolting and securing fixtures on them in every possible combinatorial manner, you know, just in case we feel like being unique or building hidy towers?
>>920559
nothing's scary when you know how to build
well maybe a little scary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGtRko8y4Fo
>>
>>920824
>maybe a little scary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-JybPmJcQ
>>
>>920510
They're not designed for that anon, it would explode, hurf durf
>>
>>920847
>click bait link
>text-to-voice commentator

Don't post that shit here. You're upping their view count.
>>
Are people still adding weight to this bullshit. Fuck man.

What is it with 4Chan commies and red necks and their love for shipping containers?
>>
If you did your engineering homework you'd know ISO container designs and limitations.

Use a fucking search engine you lazy sack of shit. This is not /spoonfeed/.

Much love for shipping containers on my part. I have three and am about to buy two more to weld together as a motorcycle garage. I already have two High Cubes joined as a shop.

If you have an intelligent question about practical use of the things I can probably help. I worked with a military study group and have deployed and worked out of various military ISO container custom shelters. (Mine aren't as nice but I'm not rich.)

Just buy a fucking commercial tower or perhaps find a firewatch tower that's no longer used and take it down. You'll still be into it for thousands and you don't need a tower and you won't built a tower so go shoot yourself.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.