[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey everyone. i'm trying to build a communication system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 14_1364891550992_l.jpg (88 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
14_1364891550992_l.jpg
88 KB, 360x360
hey everyone.

i'm trying to build a communication system based on infrared LED and receptors.

the speed will vary from 480Mb/s to 2.4Gb/s. (480Mhz - 2.4Ghz)

can the system handle those frequencies ?

thank you
>>
The IRDA ports from the 90's never caught on because they were so unreliable. They operated at 9600 baud, which is literally millions of times slower than what you're proposing.

Look at the datasheet for the IR phototransistor you want to use. It should have parameters for how quickly it reacts. That will be the maximum bit period possible.
>>
>>920332
* minimum bit period possible.
>>
>>920332
>The IRDA ports from the 90's never caught on because they were so unreliable

i understand, but they were unreliable because the transmission was bad.

i beleve fiber optics use the same principle (light) to transmit data. thats what i intend to do.

i just want to know if the regular IR devices available can do the same
>>
>>920334
desu its kind of a homemade short range fibre-optic transmission i'm trying to build
>>
>>920344
You could just buy a multimode fiber toslink port and led for $2 from digikey. It will come with all the the leds you need and a standard fiber port.
>>
>>920347
thanks anon.

damn, from what i'v found, apparently they're limited to 125Mb/s to 250Mb/s.

which is far slower than what i need.

is there another way i could transmit data wirelessly over short distances at those speed ?
>>
>>920356
You could send data through multiple fiberoptic connections simultaneously.
>>
>>920356
>is there another way i could transmit data wirelessly over short distances at those speed ?

480Mb/s - 2.4Gb/s?

Yes, it's called Ethernet.
>>
>>920463
which part of "wirelessly" didn't you get ?
>>
>>920469
The part where a fiber-optic cable gets involved?
>>
>>920473
i never said i wanted to use a fiber optic cable.
light is a wireless conductor
>>
>>920320
no
>>
>>920320
>infrared LED
how are you going to find a diode that emits infrared light?
>>
>>920498
digikey? Radio shack? This is extremely common. Your normie is showing.
>>
>>920320
http://ronja.twibright.com/

>>920499
maybe you should check the dictionary definition of light before you respond to pleb tier bait and make yourself look like a retard.
infrared radiation is not visible to the human eye.
>>
>>920503
>In physics, the term light sometimes refers to electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength,
>everyone knew what he was talking about
>no one was confused
>Someone said something dumb
>was called on something dumb whether a joke or serious.
>lol why you respond to troll, trll was right.

Fucking shit
1/10
>>
File: puke.jpg (21 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
puke.jpg
21 KB, 500x375
>>920515
>In physics, the term light sometimes refers to electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength,

what the fuck?! no it doesn't, thats retarded.
ANY wavelength? ANY? fucking serious m8?

jesus sorry for trying to have fun AND be educational.
>>
>>920469
ethernet is magnetically coupled
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 585x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 585x675
>>920487
>i never said i wanted to use a fiber optic cable.
>>920344
>>
File: verbal kint.gif (1 MB, 268x268) Image search: [Google]
verbal kint.gif
1 MB, 268x268
>>920498
is this serious ?
>>
>>920517
anon i...
>>
>>920735
seriously pedantic!
>>
File: 51chPk2p5iL.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51chPk2p5iL.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>920320
what benefits would the infrared spectrum have over the RF spectrum? there are modules like pic related that can ether join to a wifi network or pair with another module controlled by IC's
>>
>>921096
bandwidth
potentially.
but not really.
>>
>>920342
What you want is a laser.
>>
>>920498
With a camera, cheap party trick.
>>
>>921168
>IR radiation absorbed by sensor and erroneously reported as being in the visible spectrum
>light
no
>>
>>921171
Yew wot
>>
>>921096
Directionality and noise rejection, maybe?
>>
>>920320
No, you can't. Commercial remote control IR receivers activate with a 40KHz carrier.
You can't shift data faster or the sensor won't catch it.
Also, if you go DIY and use your own detector, AGC circuit and shit, you won't get much speed because there's a limit on how fast your detector would react. Also noise, lots of it.

What you're trying to accomplish is highly impractical and there are reasons why it hasn't been made into a product before.
>>
You could easily make a optical communication link.

Achieving the speeds you ask for, is a completely different story, as the circuit layout becomes an engineering task by it self.. You do not simply measure on a multi megahertz or gigahertz circuit, which is what you need to transmit data at these bit rates..

But you should try to make a 10-50Mbit link anyway, look for pin diodes or avalanche photodetectors.

IR devices are readily accessible..
>>
>>920469
>which part of "wirelessly" didn't you get ?

I think it was literally your post >>920344 where you mentioned fibre-optic transmission.

Now I'm certain you're too retarded to build your sooper sekrit no-NSA communications network.
>>
>>920469
>480Mb/s - 2.4Gb/s
>wirelessly

802.11n & 802.11ac Wave 2
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.