[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/RCG/ - rc general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: motor2.png (460 KB, 683x475) Image search: [Google]
motor2.png
460 KB, 683x475
rc planes, helis, boats, multirotors (quadcopters), cars, hovercrafts, submarines or anything else rc.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-26-12-00-03.png (636 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-26-12-00-03.png
636 KB, 720x1280
>>920288
First for mutha fuckin X5C. I'd post a picture, but its currently stuck on my roof.
>>
for beginners:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355
>>
>>920299
can't fly either
I lost the last prop for my 3D nano
broke a motor on my H8 and no spares
my charger broke so no hubsan nor my 250 can fly
>>
I got 3D printer so I can make parts. If I make the frame and propellers myself, what's the cheapest I can make a small FPV racing quadcopter?
>>
>>921779
Aren't the frame and props fairly inexpensive, and the parts you would least want to 3D print because of the material's brittleness? Props might be alright to print since you'll be going through them anyway but unless you are constantly prototyping different designs/configurations I would just buy a carbon frame. You might initially save $60-150 by printing them but I don't know if it's worth it.

Then again I'm only in the process of putting together my first quad as well.
>>
>>921795
But how much for the other stuff?
>>
>>920288

Why the fuck is that motor mount so complex?
>>
File: 17578-MLM20140130271_082014-Y.jpg (7 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
17578-MLM20140130271_082014-Y.jpg
7 KB, 210x210
I have a ricochet G4, toy-class currently it doesn't work currently, (don't know why). The thing is I plan to get into Hobby-class RC. So I was thinking on repairing it, but I would really appreciate your opinion if it is viable to repair it following a Hobby class way or just buy another system?
>>
>>921779
you probably wont save any money 3d printing, also you cant 3d print props. around 150$ for a decent quad.
>>
>>921852
Motors can run $50+, ESCs run $30+ I think, batteries run $30-80+, radio/antenna/camera equipment probably runs $200+.

If you're looking for "cheap", you're in the wrong hobby; what you need depends on what YOU want and think is good, not what some Anon uses. If you want a "cheap" "racing" quad, DJI phantom runs for $900 or so with FPV kit.

You really need to do your research, this won't be some "okay I'm going to spend an hour online and know what I need" sort of thing.

>>921795
Props you could 3DP if you have a high enough resolution printer, but the downside to them is that they'll not be smooth due to the layering.. Buying props is a better idea. The frame could be mostly printed past fasteners, I'd say, if you're not very concerned about weight.
>>
>>921928
>>921852
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jbpwqCCVbs
>>
>>921919
You can 3d print props and frame. Obviously it's not going to be optimal. I just want something to start out with that I can easily and cheaply replace if I crash it. Having never flown a drone before I expect to crash it a few times.

Also I have a few ideas for custom frames that I want to try out Something that could turn FPV drone racing into a VERY fun game with multiple people. 3d printing is to test and perfect the design of this game.
>>
>>922232
I'm not watching a video of a guy arguing your point for you.
>>
>>922309
3D printed props has to be really ineffective, and quite unbalanced compared to regular props. I cannot recommend it, until I have seen some actual thrust data.
>>
>>922309
i wouldn't trust a 3D printed prop unless it was done via SLA, and at that pricepoint, you're better off getting proper props.
>>
>>922444
Why not? it's for your own good.
>>
>>922784
you'll never get any. They'll all have some degree of warp to them.
>>
>>922945
I'm not that anon but I just watched the whole series, and it's pretty fucking cool. I don't even quad, but it's interesting stuff nonetheless.

Really fancy a FPV setup for my rc car now.
>>
>>921779
>what's the cheapest I can make a small FPV racing quadcopter?
if you want brushless, about $200 for everything in the air. Peripherals (radio, goggles, chargers) not included, that is.
>>
File: 20151231_212555.jpg (985 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20151231_212555.jpg
985 KB, 2656x1494
i built a new copter, diatone blade 150 with DYS 1306 motors, should be fun
>>
>>922998
With what parts
>>
>>923010
Why don't you make a helicopter instead? I mean wouldn't it be more fun to drive and stuff?
>>
>>921779
Drop the idea of 3D printing parts, you can't compete with china. Props on eBay cost like 30 cents each if you buy a decent amount. The most basic complete 250 kit, without remote and FPV gear, is around $80 on Aliexpress, this includes frame (~$20), flight controller, motors, ESCs and usually a couple LEDs. With a 2.4G 6ch+ remote, they start at $120. With very basic FPV, probably $180-$200.
If you don't want to deal with Aliexpress, you can order from Banggood, but expect to pay more by 20-50%.

Batteries and chargers are excluded from all of this, you should stick with Banggood since they usually won't sell you total junk batteries unlike eBay. A 3C ~2Ah LiPo is around $15, a basic charger probably around the same price.

Unless you're good at hunting chinese products you will likely end up with a somewhat inferior quad, it won't perform as well as something built from domestically purchased brand-name parts, but it will cost a whole lot less.
>>
File: radios.jpg (66 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
radios.jpg
66 KB, 640x640
I've managed to make a very basic RC control using two 2.4ghz radio modules.

I believe it would be fairly easy to make an airplane radio control using the same elements.

What do I need to learn in order to design a flying wing, for example? How about avionics?

I know Rhino, so I can easily design a structure and have balsa woods cut in a laser cutter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAA5kCylJBU/
>>
I just spent $600+ on quad parts and I haven't even started looking into fpv gear. This isn't is not cheap.

>>923010
That's pretty cute. How does it fly?
>>
>>923445
flying wing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIxlPztXQKk
>>
>>920299
how did it get stuck on your roof cunt?
>>
>>923449
what did you buy?
i have been considering getting alien 680 frame, MN3110 470kv motors with 15 inch props, @4s it would do like 14-15g/w but the motors cost 60usd each :(
>>
>>921928
>cheap
>buy DJI Phantom

Fuck off. Most online stores have RTF 250 size quads for $250-$300
>>
>>923680
It cost that much because I'm starting RC pretty much from scratch. The transmitter was a big money sink and I got a spare for each part.

I got one of those xhover mxp230 frames, cobra 2204 1960kv's, an assortment of props, naze acro board, batteries, etc. I had been looking to build a mini racequad with plans on getting into fpv and since the carbon version of this frame was on sale I decided to buy in.

I'm complaining about the price of building a mini but I bet building one of those giant monster quads can get ridiculous. What kind of batteries do you need to run those?
>>
>>923734
4s 5000mah or something. but its still a lot of money 240$ for motors only is quite a lot.
>>
File: 1.jpg (448 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
448 KB, 1200x1600
>>920288
I got a $10 rc car from WalMart that I either put a laser pointer on or treats on and chase my dogs around with.

Can I make it faster?
>>
>>923775
No.
>>
>>923775
Give the motor more voltage.
>>
>>923842
This is the answer to like half of all the "I want it to do more X" RC questions.
>>
>>923094
http://www.miniquadbros.com/collections/frontpage/products/miniquadkit
Something like that, pretty much, plus a battery and receiver of your choosing.
>>
>>923842
>>924117

So slap some more batteries on that bitch? Explain it to me like the retard I am please.
>>
>>924145
take that thing apart and try to look at how electricity is distributed.
in general: higher voltage == higher rpm.
but the motor temp will rise more rapidly than it can dissipate heat, so on the longer run you could fry it. Experiment, you got little to lose and knowledge to gain
>>
>>924145
Yes, in series. For example, let's assume it uses 4 ordinary AA alkaline batteries, supplying 6 volts. If you modify the battery holder so that you can add additional batteries in series, or a pack of a different chemistry offering higher overall voltage, the result will be one of two things: the release of magic smoke from the car's circuitry, or a noticeable increase in power and speed.

I did this way back when with my XMODS Evolution from Radio Shack, which took 4 AAA batteries by default; I used folded aluminum foil, tape and shreds of paper to add two more AAA batteries in series with the four that already fit in the holder. One company was also selling a lithium ion upgrade kit for the car, which also made it go faster; the existence of this assured me the car's circuitry could handle the voltage increase.
>>
>>923094
Dys 1306 motors eith 3x4x3 props, 10a esc, cc3d atom snd 500mw vtx.

>>923149

Bruh ive got like 6 helis from micro to 700 sized nitro
>>
>>924167
>>924148

Excellent. Thanks, guys. My dogs are going to hate all of you.
>>
Is charpu a meme or is he a legit skilled flyer? His videos seem pretty impressive but I'm not convinced it's so hard that no one else can reach that level.
>>
>>924536
There are a bunch of people that are considered to be on a similar level. It's not like he wins every event he shows up to. Skitzo, BorisB, FinalGlide, MetallDanny for example. If he is a meme, they are too.
I disagree with the statement that it's not hard though. If I'm wrong and it isn't, that's easy to prove, just show off your skills.
>>
Anyone here do trucks?

I've been looking into the axial SCX10 kit, because I like assembling them and getting to know them.

My question is, what is the best, most durable kit trucks?

Also looking to stay on a budget
>>
>>923677
Uhh... It flew there? I took off the battery cover/camera, battery flew out when it hit a tree, landed on roof. I've only been flying for like 2 weeks. I'm now working on lightening the camera assembly, mounting it elsewhere and putting the battery cover back on. Also got a set of red, blue and black plastics for racin colors. Will post pics when its done. Unfortunately I'm not a faggot, so I didn't own any small screwdrivers before I bought this.
>>
>>924536
I think he was just the first guy to get popular and get a sponsorship. I think he was sponsored by Lumenier. He's a great pilot but there are better freestyle pilots. Mr. Steele is getting a lot of fame and he's better in my opinion, but Charpu is still a very talented pilot.
>>
Is it just me, or does HobbyKing not sell QAV250 frames?

Can anyone recommend UK online hobby shops?
>>
>>923775
Strap a teensy weensy pulse jet to it.
Then you can scream your word of choice when you hit the big red button.
>>
I was planning on building a small (1m wingspan) dlg glider, the plans I found use a balsa buidup wing. I was thinking why not take a solid piece of balsa, shape the wing and then use a fretsaw to cut out a truss structure and then cover it with some kind of shrinkwrap

would this work just as well?
>>
>>925780
First, you must tell us your budget.
Also, >>921900
any advice?
>>
Sup RC mates. You like RC so I was wondering and hoping if you could maybe gimme some advice

so some shameless self-spam: >>926551

>>
>>923775

1) more voltage
they might break/burn through

2) bigger wheels
the motors might not be strong enough
>>
>>926509
~$500
>>
File: IMG_20160108_235237.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_235237.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
>>920299
Only took 14 days to get a picture of my actual Droneā„¢
>>
File: IMG_20160108_235130.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_235130.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
>>927203
And my box o shit. Note the 'extreme range' mod, a shitty router antenna that actually does work a little better. Not enough to do that shit ever again, though.
>>
>>926359
are you going for a more solid wing? If you're cutting ribs from the wing profile, then joining and covering them I don't see how that's any different than a normal build aside from how you shape the wing.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.