[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problem with new front I/O switch in my PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: OEM switch.jpg (239 KB, 1500x996) Image search: [Google]
OEM switch.jpg
239 KB, 1500x996
/diy/, I have a weird fucking problem. I just moved my PC into an HAF 912 case, and I can get the mobo and case fans to spin up, but I get NOTHING but a black screen unless I use the old dell case power switch (OEM).

Now, I traced the wires on the OEM switch to line up the new power switch, because a pinout diagram for this motherboard doesn't fucking exist. I match everything up precisely, power switch, HDD LED, power LED... except a couple on the OEM switch on the bottom that don't go to anything. There's no reset button on the OEM switch, it appears that a couple wires branch off from the main power switch wires to a couple isolated pins on the bottom. I tried to put the reset switch where those mystery pins go, but nada.

Like I said, the computer powers on with the new case switch, but I only get a black screen UNLESS I unplug that, plug in the OEM switch into the motherboard and power it on with that. Then it boots to windows like normal. This is the third case it's been in too, in the second case I had this problem but I just thought the second case's switch was bad. Now I know there's something fucky afoot... Could just be no monitor signal? No clue why that would be with a different power switch.

This case looks like dogshit with the OEM switch just dangling out the front. Getting this new case's switch to work is the last fucking step in my build. Does ANYBODY have any idea what's going on? The motherboard is a Dell Great Bear MIH81R. Pic related is the OEM power switch.

I was redirected here from /g/. The replies there have not pointed me towards a solution thus far. Hoping somebody has an idea as to what's going on.
>>
theres 2 black wires that you need to connect also. you need to put those wires in the same position as on the original connector.
>>
>>919774
My case doesn't have an extra 2 random black wires. There's a wire for the reset switch, already tried that as a placeholder.
>>
File: 3020_CONN.jpg (217 KB, 783x832) Image search: [Google]
3020_CONN.jpg
217 KB, 783x832
>>919755
>Motherboard doesn't have an ATX power connector.
I. What.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,3061-6.html

You have to bodge your own power switch because there is no way for your PSU in the new case to get the signal to turn on.

When you say the case 'powers on' do you mean an LED comes on somewhere or do the fans actually spin up and does it beep any POST codes?

Mostly
>in the trash it goes.
STick it back in the case it came from and sell it for $100 to put towards your new build. Don't reuse this shit. Intel does not want you reusing their shit for new builds. You're supposed to buy a brand new CPU and mobo every time, that's why they come out with a new socket every year.
>>
>>919779
And you have a case fan in 11 and a cpu fan in 15? What about the intrusion switch in 10? It might be pissed off at that too.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (83 KB, 960x663) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
83 KB, 960x663
>>919781
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATX-24pin-to-8pin-Power-Supply-Cable-for-DELL-Optiplex-3020-7020-9020-/321802463813

MMm... what a steaming piece of shit.

It looks like dell uses an 8 pin plug for all its power, and moved ps_on to one of the pins... Maybe. There's some fuckery in that mess of heat shrink, you might not even be able to go straight across with it.
>>
>>919778
not your case. the motherboard (look at the original connector). you need to duplicate all the wires on the motherboard end connector.
>>
To be clear; my motherboard has a total of 11 pins on the motherboard. The OEM power switch (as whole, includes the power switch (2 wires), HDD LED (2 wires), and power LED (2 wires), and 2 random black wires on the bottom of the pinout that branch off of one of the power wires right where the mobo plug is) apparently uses 8 wires, only 6 of serve a purpose that I can identify. My new case switch has 8 as well but the last 2 are the reset switch. Plugging the reset switch into the spot where the 2 unidentified black wires does nothing; I can get the cpu, case and gpu fans spinning but there's no video signal as far as I can tell. I'm absolutely stumped.
>>
File: this-thread-eject.jpg (49 KB, 648x478) Image search: [Google]
this-thread-eject.jpg
49 KB, 648x478
>>919784
Your ATX power supply is not getting a fucking power signal from your motherboard because there is no PS_ON pin in the 8 pin ATX connector you plugged into your motherboard.
>>919783
Doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about and actually believes you when you think you know what you're talking about.

Fuck this thread. I know more about op's computer from 15 minutes of bing searching than he does, he doesn't listen to me, and other faggot anons don't know what they're doing either.
>>
>2 random black wires on the bottom of the pinout that branch off of one of the power wires right where the mobo plug is

so did you add those also. they don't just put random wires to amuse you ya know.
>>
>Plugging the reset switch into the spot where the 2 unidentified black wires does nothing
that because thats not what they are for
>>
>>919794
Like I said, the case doesn't have "2 extra black wires". I tired flipping the OEM power switch hoping the polarity didn't matter like with the power switch but a capacitor thing

>>919786
>>919782
>>919779
Thanks for the info, better motherboards can be had for like <$100 so I'm not too worried about it then.
>>
this sounds a lot like a >>>/g/ or >>>/wsr/ problem and not a /diy/ problem
>>
>>919799
You might be able to just shove a paperclip in the atx ps_on pin and ground.

http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Since your atx motherboard header is just hanging out since there's nothing to plug it into on you alien technology.
>>
>>919811
And dell might have totally thought of that and decided that would be proof the customer was trying to void the warranty and it would be a great time to let the magic smoke out.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.