[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VAWT, electronic braking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: methinks.jpg (648 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
methinks.jpg
648 KB, 2240x1344
I want to build a wind turbine but braking is an issue due to tropical storms on the island i live on.

I was looking into a gear box when i thought maybe an electronic braking system would be able to more automatically regulate the speed based on the increase or decrease in speed while reducing the overall complexity.

there is a 1st power take off to a small generator, this is powering 2 electromagnets located in opposing fashion over a steel or other ferrous plate with slits cut into it. This will act as the electronic brake.

My theory is that with proper gear ratios between the 1st pto and the generator, i should be able to adjust the rate at which the electromagnet gains power with respect to the speed of the center shaft.

The 2nd pto drives a mechanical pump via a cam.

My question is if this is a plausible device for construction, and should i leave a direct path for the coils or should i invest in a supercap or similar device for the purpose of having a "dump" for the brake instead of a "trickle".
>>
>>919655
So, you want it to increase load resistance (shunt) as the voltage begins to spike from spinning too fast? That will slow it down but how much it slows down will depend on how hard it is to turn while dead shorted and if the wind can turn it well enough while dead shorted. There's always a chance that a really good wind could still spin it faster.
>>
>>919655
electrical braking is problematic because the components have to deal with the energy as electricity
roller coasters use eddy current magnetic brakes which are simple and pretty much foolproof, the faster it turns the more braking force is generated so i'm pretty sure you set and forget a maximum speed and then it works out to some curve of windspeed against turbine speed but i'm happy to be corrected.
>>
>>919711
volt increase = increase in shaft resistance, yes

>>919713
this is exactly my thinking

thanks for the input, i'll do some more reading before i commit
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.