[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOMEBREWING GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: wort.jpg (145 KB, 835x626) Image search: [Google]
wort.jpg
145 KB, 835x626
What are you brewing bros? Just pitched yeast/cultures for a flemish red.
>>
File: pellicle.png (650 KB, 1365x704) Image search: [Google]
pellicle.png
650 KB, 1365x704
>>919453
Also have a picture of the pellicle from my other sour that I brewed back in September, it was just re-racked along with a culture of lacto and some Basil Hayden's whiskey barrel slices.
>>
>>919453
Is that right before pitching? How the fuck do you get your wort so clear at that point in time? Do you filter or use some finings?
>>
File: IMG_20151223_212359.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_212359.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>919536
Nah that was just after adding malt. I do pour the wort through a brewing stainless screen when adding it to the fermenter to remove hop trub and help with aeration.
>>
File: IMG_20151223_224137.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_224137.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>919536
>>
>>919583
instead of cheesecloth, wouldn't a sock work for this?
>>
>>920035
For steeping? Yeah some people use them. Just make sure its clean. I use muslin bags because they are so cheap and can be used to for steeping grains, adding hops to boil or dry hopping too.
>>
I'm getting into home brewing. Can any one recommend some good books and youtubers I can check out?
>>
>>921184
Northern Brewer has some decent vids
>>
>>919453
I still have to procure the rest of my supplies, but I'm about to give mead a go. I plan to do 5 gal in a food-grade plastic bucket (nearby fast food joint I used to work for sells their empty pickle buckets for cheap-as-fuck - obviously they get snatched up as fast as they get emptied by brewers).

Any tips?

I've done a fair amount of research, and already have the honey and the yeast (with the airlock in the cart). I'm not entirely convinced that it needs anything other than nutrient, and that's where I can't decide. I'll probably toss in a few cinnamon sticks, but besides that I'm not sure... anyone with experience with mead? I'd like it to be sweet, but also being a starving college student (heh) I'd like it to be as high alcohol content as possible.

Am I mistaken to not order more specialized ingredients? I saw a lot of other products when I was searching for the yeast (which I'm certain I picked correctly). I'm of the mind that just pitching it with things like cinnamon sticks and other nutrients will work. I'm not really a natty fag, but also I like to keep it simple and tend to over analyze ingredient lists.
>>
I pitched some yeast a year ago and forgot about the carboy in my basement. Probably going to be shit.
>>
>>919453
Any tips or recommendations for a first time brewer? I got a kit for Christmas and have a general idea where to start but wanted to see if you guys had some insight.
>>
>>919453
1410 is recipe for vodka. Look it in Google
>>
>>919453
Brewing a mead, a methgelin to be exact :)
>>
fuck, I tried to mull my mead and I think I cooked off the alcohol. I took off the lid and just about burnt my nose and eyes
>>
>>921184
How to Brew is the go to answer and it's a good one. Complex topics are made easy to understand and it's presented in a useful fashion that will give you the basics of what to do, but more importantly WHY you do them.

If you managed to swing a C in most of your high school science classes, you can understand everything in his book. His website has his first edition for free but the third edition is presented in a much better fashion with more updated info for the most part (first edition was written when homebrewing hadn't yet exploded because of the internet).
>>
>>922370
I would definitely pick up some camden tablets for sterilization of the must. Crush a few of them and dissolve them in the must and let it sit with the lid off and a towel over it. It will dissipate after 24 hours and kill any wild yeast or bacteria in the process. Way better than trying to keep a constant temperature for sterilizing. Besides that plenty of yeast nutrient, energizer, and most importantly a proper pitch you should be good to go.
>>
>>923979
>>921184
Homebrewer for several years here,
Seconding this recommendation. How to Brew by John Palmer is a book every serious homebrewer should own. It's got a quick-start brewing guide and then goes in depth into a bunch of topics when you need/want to figure out more, I still reference it all the time.
>>
You know whats easy as fuck and actually tastes good?

Pom Wonderful Pomegranate arils.

I shit you not.
Pom packages them without any preservatives or anything.
I haven't actually let them ferment into a truly alcoholic drink yet, but every package of them that I've bought so far has fermented enough to qualify as a sparkling wine.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.