[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is this a good idea to make as a plaything for children?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: digging_a_pirates_cave_0.jpg (34 KB, 600x279) Image search: [Google]
digging_a_pirates_cave_0.jpg
34 KB, 600x279
So, is this a good idea to make as a plaything for children?

>inb4 shipping container
>inb4 >children
>>
>>918850
I wouldn't make anything a plaything for a kid underground a lot of crap that can happen if you don't know what you're doing and even just 1 thing went wrong.
>>
>>918850
No, not at all.

Instead get some culvert pipe and make a small underground bunker with it. Use lots of ventilation. Keep in mind that these are not water tight and will allow water into them. Spraying them with DIY truckbed liner spray on the outside is the best thing you can do to water proof them.
>>
No anon, the building of it doesn't involve and educate the children. Never just do something for a kid, try to involve them in the construction process, not only will it help their self esteem and actualization, but it will educate them and make them more self sufficient.

I suggest instead teaching them to dig viet cong styled hidey holes as well as how to construct man traps to get rid of anyone attempting to capture them.
>>
>>918905
>No, not at all.
Concur, 2x4's are NOT appropriate for this load. Dirt is heavy as fuck and this is a collapse waiting to happen.

>Instead get some culvert pipe and make a small underground bunker with it.

What is a good source for these? I can't find any sources for these on or offline.
>>
the secret to any good undaground project is the soil you are digging into.

ideally you want a nice hard silt. something you need a pick axe to dig.

anything sandy is not suited at all. Unless you want to just excavate a huge hole and then place in hardened supported structures.

clay can be ok, but will need some supports.
>>
We know what you're up to, OP.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35173310
>>
>>919405
http://www.fostersupply.com/Products/CorrugatedMetalPipe/StructuralPlateandOtherMetalStructures.aspx
>>
>>918915
>tunnels of coochie
It's interesting how completely innocuous things in one language can mean something horrible/offensive/inappropriate in another.
>>
Once again gentlemen, the best thing to shore up earthen walls/ceilings with is bed slats, preferably pilfered from a German POW hut.
>>
File: Front-Line-Trench.png (109 KB, 445x242) Image search: [Google]
Front-Line-Trench.png
109 KB, 445x242
>>918915
Thats way too dangerous for /k/ids. Some good ole fashioned trench works like great grandad used to dig will keep em busy and fit.
>>
>>919405
>What is a good source for these? I can't find any sources for these on or offline.

Local contractors. You don't order that online unless you want to be badgered by a sales rep for the rest of your life for, "good deals for 10,000 feet of culvert pipe! GET A QUOTE NOW!"

('._.)
>>
A coworker of mine tried doing something like that for his kids. Except he did it during the summer and didn't realize the water table was only around 6 feet deep during the rest of the year, so it filled up with water and went from "cool underground fort" to "pit full of dead bugs and nasty water" and sat for about a year before his wife made him fill it up so their kids wouldn't drown in it.
>>
>>919818
I did this as a kid in s. Florida. Drainage is your friend. Wooden floors with gutters under leading to sumps are a must. I was serious about >>919810 lotta fun to have a hip to shoulderish deep trench works connecting a few dug outs.
>>
File: early-1890s-sod-house.jpg (92 KB, 900x593) Image search: [Google]
early-1890s-sod-house.jpg
92 KB, 900x593
>>918850
Google up sod houses.

Early settlers in the grasslands of the midwest without a lot of wood to work with made them as their first shelters.

Compared to your pic, they were about 1/2 way out of the ground. This would make them more safe from cave-ins and flooding.
>>
Just wing and go very slowly, OP.
>>
>>919823
>digging in South Florida
Impossible, it is all rock
>>
>>920712
My god, it is like the photographer tried his best to screw with perspective with that photo.
>>
>>919810
But your trench pic has an earth cave in it too
>>
>>919810
>>921408
the trench seems like a better idea. Also, involve the kid like in >>918915, plus, lowers labor on you.

Lastly, once you guy's feel done with the trench, you can start mixing up some concrete and convert it into a pool or something.

>>918850
Oh, also, check with your city and find the utility lines of your house before you do something like this.

You don't want to accidentally break open a sewer or cut a powerline unless you and your kid want to smell like shit screaming "WE DUG TOO DEEP AND TOO GREEDILY!"

>>920712
though if you go with an above ground structure, or even a semi-above ground one, I'd reccomend building something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE
>>
>>918915

I remember hearing a story of a guy who went into one of those tunnel systems on an LSD bender with a pistol and a knife and came out with 48 thumbs a couple days later. When another team went in they found 48 dead vietcong with their thumbs removed.
>>
No way man, people die from trench collapses all the time.

Just it's normally from stupid bosses, not stupid parents
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>918850
How about you just smash their heads in with a mallot, it'd be much quicker.
>>
>>918850
>plaything for children?
It's pretty tough to satisfy kids nowadays so im not sure. I got my wife's son a ps4 and he wanted a xbox one.
>>
>>919434
>nice hard silt
Do you even -200 sieve?
>>
>>918850
inb4 kids buried alive
>>
>>922048
Ungrateful shit.
>>
When I was in 10th grade my English teacher showed us a movie about a teenage girl getting lured into this autistic giant's hidey hole, where she got a bottle smashed into the back of her head after she found a room full of pictures of her. I know your plan OP, and I don't approve.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.