[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /diy/ I'm not very much into DIY but my dad is pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 61Dwk0f29EL._SL1024_[1].jpg (114 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
61Dwk0f29EL._SL1024_[1].jpg
114 KB, 1024x1024
sup /diy/
I'm not very much into DIY but my dad is pretty handy. Is there any tool that I can get him as a gift that he isn't likely to have but will appreciate? He is a very pragmatic man, so he has most things in his toolbox already and doesn't think anything more fancy than that is necessary. Preferably something under $20, I'm poor and unemployed.

The nail holder in pic related is what I think I have in mind, more or less. Is it useful?
>>
>>918591
I would be insulted if someone bought me a nail holder.
>>
File: magnetic-wristband-f5c[1].jpg (130 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
magnetic-wristband-f5c[1].jpg
130 KB, 800x800
>>918592
Is this because of some DIY pride that implies you don't need one? Sorry, I have two left hands, I don't know these things at all.

But if it is because it's too cheap or pragmatic, then I don't think my dad will be insulted at all - if he finds any use for it whatsoever, he will appreciate it.
How about something like this wristband? Do they actually reliably hold nails or what?
>>
What does he do for a living? If he's pragmatic he'd appreciate tools for problems he may face on a day-to-day basis. You didn't provide any information and only showed pics of a couple of stupid gimmicks.
i.e. if he were a carpenter he'd shove that nail holder up your ass sideways, or get laughed off his site showing up with a magnetic wrist band. That's what a tool belt is for. Need context.
>>
>>918591
The nail holder and magnetic wrist thing are no goes. Hobbyist or commercial.
Buy him a case of beer and just chill.
>>
>>918604
He's a paper pusher, he only uses tools at home.

>>918605
My dad's pretty much completely straight edge - he doesn't drink, smoke or indulge in food. I wish I could buy him a fancy cheese or cigars or something, but he buys pretty much everything he needs himself, and he doesn't need a lot.
>>
Your dad seems like a cool guy, OP. Buy him something that he can clean and maintain his tools with.
>>
>>918607
>doesn't drink, smoke or indulge in food.

> buys pretty much everything he needs

Is your dad me?

For /diy/ get him knockoff arduino stuff direct from china. It's cheap and can be used for anything he wants to put it to.

Non-diy stuff: hunting/fishing/outdoors stuff because I'll bet he enjoys those pastimes.
>>
>>918591
How bout a headlamp.
>>
A lathe...

Can't go wrong with a lathe

>Under 20 bucks
>>
Toolfags don't want tools to be gifted. They (We) are way to picky and hate when we get random shit. We want gift certificates to tool stores. Or beer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQj_bhkIXw
>>
>>918762
>gift certificates to tool stores
i'm way too picky for that, hardware stores that do gift certificates around here have pretty bumf tools.
lots of good indie stores that have really nice makes but they dont do gift cards
>>
>>918793
I have never been into a store in my entire life that doesn't offer gift cards.

Every little ma and pop store will have them. They probably print them in the back.

Gift cards a great thing to sell because they are often not redeemed for their full value or at all. That is free money.
>>
>>918595
I think that's pretty clever and a thoughtful gift. I'm a handy person and do all of my own repairs along with my mom's, sister and MIL, they keep me busy.
This wristband is cool I think and probably pretty reasonable but please BUY A BLACK ONE.
Better than holding nails or screws in your mouth, too many bad germs around these days nobody knows what's on them without a lab report.
Something else might be a flashlight that mounts in any position and anywhere. A cheap Energizer 2 LED headlamp was one of the handiest thing my sister in law got me probably 15 years ago, always at the ready. I see they're 3 LED now.
>>
>>918810
just give them cash and write on the card what you were going to spend the money on so they know could have been thoughtful if you wanted to
>>
File: 50K2620s01.jpg (71 KB, 600x246) Image search: [Google]
50K2620s01.jpg
71 KB, 600x246
Trick bolts, just a puzzle like pic related
>>
>>918813
next best thing to seeing in the dark
>>
>>918591
Set of vice grips.

They sell three packs of shitty ones for $20 and you can never have enough
>>
>>918591
>>918595
OP whatever you do. do not get something gimmicky like those pictures.
>>
File: 822360_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (35 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
822360_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
35 KB, 1000x1000
Expensive, but worth the money and every body loves them.
>>
>>918591
Headlamp
>>
>>919023
This.
Vise grips are love. Vise grips are life.
>>
File: B00005QVQO-1.jpg (8 KB, 272x250) Image search: [Google]
B00005QVQO-1.jpg
8 KB, 272x250
>>918591
>nail holder

Buy a stanly fatmax antivibe hammer, it has a magnetic nail starter on the head.
>>
>>918595
>Is this because of some DIY pride that implies you don't need one?
No, some of us just aren't so retarded that we constantly smash our thumbs nailing something together.
>>
>>919013
I do some of my best work in the dark.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.