[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im building a new fence for my granpa and hes nagging me not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: rotator5[1].png (345 KB, 384x418) Image search: [Google]
rotator5[1].png
345 KB, 384x418
Im building a new fence for my granpa and hes nagging me not to sink poles into melted bitumen composure, he claims just charring them with fire is enough to prevent rot "it has been done like that for ages", so is he just annoying me again out of boredom or does he have a point ?
>>
Look up 焼杉板 - it's not specifically what you're doing, but it backs up your grandad's claim a bit.
>>
soak he god damn thing in oil ffs and then take three layers of suran wrap and hair dryer cling them down the shaft

oil keeps the moisture tainted so moss/mold wont get it and the suran wrap keeps it in there

shaft the thing in a brick and presto
>>
>>918497
Umm, you just buy treated timber posts. Ones rated for sinking into the ground. Unless you're set on milling your own trees to make the posts, just buy the right fucking timber by asking the people at the hardware store for fence posts.
>>
>>918510
I think they call it creosote
>>
>>918510

>bought a yellow pine board rated for post use
>use it for stair runners
>not even a year later and shit was rotten

I guess I deserved it for listening to people that think oak is a hardwood.
>>
>>918510
Pressure treated works, but still rots after a while.

Plus, it's got the copper compound that a lot of people are worried about leaching into the soil.

I've tried the charring method before, but it's only been four years since the first one installed... fence is still standing for now.

Put 4" of gravel on the bottom, too. Helps drain the moisture away.
>>
File: 97562.jpg (61 KB, 532x718) Image search: [Google]
97562.jpg
61 KB, 532x718
Nearly every post in this thread triggers me.
>>
>>918583
Why?
>>
>>918574
>>918572
>>918581
>treated pine is treated pine
Treated timber is graded with a hazard rating. Different chemicals and treatments are used for each. There are fucking timber piers that are more than 100 years old. Typically fence posts are rated for above ground use. Anchored with a styrup. To sink it into the ground, you select H4 through to H6 because it's treated to resist being wet constantly. The treatments applied won't leach out over a period of a few years and they won't rot. Many retaining walls, railings and fences in national parks and power lines in Australia are made of this stuff. There are 200+ year old telegraph poles still standing. If your timber is rotting after a year you fucked up.
>>
>>918497
Absolutely. Charred wood will resist rot for many years.
>>
>>918574
Oak IS a hardwood, I'm forester, we are making fences against deers by using oak and net. Put one side of the pole into the fire, it will then stay good in the ground for 10 years, and aftet this time just have to turn it upside-down, and it will stand there for another 10 years.
No chemicals, no used engine oil.
>>
Besides charring, it's also very common to just soak them in Diesel. They'll last at least 20 years treated as such.
>>
>>918574
Oak IS a hardwood. Pine is not.
>>
>>918585
Because i have a hardon for hard woods
>>
>>918574
Oak is a hardwood ffs
>>
Just use cedar. Doesn't even need to be treated. Will last until the frost pushes it out of the ground.
>>
Oak rots really fast. cedar is the way to go. The barns you see that are over a 100 yrs old are all held up by ceder poles. Sad thing is its hard to find large ceder trees. Im growing some at my farm right now. Wont be able to use them in my life time. But possible for grand kids
>>
>>920296
Oak does not rot really fast. Red oak rots at a modest speed compared to the all mighty white oak.

Legit want to know the best woods to build with... Look at any form of ship building.

Cedar is used. But often needs to be covered in resin. Urethane. Or a heavy duty marine paint. Cedar does not like constant water supply. Makes for shit ground post.
>>
>>918510
I'm not sure if you're trolling or just fucked.

Were you using 4x4s for stair runners? Those are generally the easiest to come by for wood you can bury that can act as posts. That's absurd if you were. And just because it's rated for post use doesn't mean you can bury it, there are many applications that use posts that aren't buried, like many decks and sheds that use metal brackets mounted in cement. Hell, when some people say post they mean railing stiles, it's not correct but it's common. And I've had non pressure treated 2x4s that have been setting in dirt for 3 years in my burning wood rack in the back yard that are getting rough, but not rotten yet.

There's some other issue if your wood really rotted that fast. And you're not going to find pressure treated oak anywhere, it's too expensive for this application and not porous enough to accept the chemicals used.

If you had pressure treated wood it was pine, which is a softwood. Oak is absolutely a hard wood. You'd know that if you ever tried to work it with cheap saw blades or router bits and it destroyed the sharp edges in a couple passes.
>>
jus make it like they done it in the old days
mix 1 part waste oil with 1 part disel and soak these posts a week in it they wil hold for years
>>
many many many moons ago dad built a 4' tall fence around our yard with typical cedar posts - key was the posts were set in pea gravel. dig the post hole (in our area was almost 4' to get below frost line), pour in some pea gravel for the bottom of post to sit on then drop in the post then pack the rest of the hole with more pea gravel. that's it. those posts lasted more then 2 decades, many lasted longer, the ones that did start to rot after 20+ years were easily replaced b'cuz only pea gravel was used - i.e. easy to pull out the old wood and replace with new.
oak is considered a hard wood
>>
File: 138-800.jpg (282 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
138-800.jpg
282 KB, 800x600
Use black locust if you can find it, its equal or better than cedar in rot resistance.
>>
>>920527
Good luck finding that, cedar is expensive because most has been harvested and they replant with spruce, pine and fir. All hardwoods are expensive because the big ones were mowed down over the centuries and they take centuries to regrow.
>>920326 This is probably the best solution no matter what wood because its probably the microorganisms and insects that eat your wood in the end. Shiat, probably some composite plastic shit you can get from China now anyway. I know power corps are moving to composite crossbars now.
>>
>>920537
that shit grows everywhere lol
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.