[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to build own pedalboard (pic similar but not it) >decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
>want to build own pedalboard (pic similar but not it)
>decide to use dowels to join wood
>now have PTSD
>>
>>918496
Why wouldn't you just counter sink screws?
>>
Pedalboards have to stand up to quite a bit of force m8.
Sure pedals don't weigh much and you are certainly gonna be a ballet dancer gentle soul when stomping on your overdrive or wah pedal.

Until you get shitface drunk and start stomping on that shit like it's the nigger that stole your bike.

Wood is also no good. See wood looks nice but it's heavy, soft and soaks up beer, piss, sweat and blood and than radiates the stink forever.

So I built mine out of a sheet of aluminium. Bent the edges and held the thing together used big boy nuts and bolts. Best part I can collapse it. If my bands needs just a DS2 and a Chorus pedal I unbolt and carry just a single rack line.
If another band needs me to eat sound like I ate a bag of shrooms before hand I bring the full thing in all its glory.

Aluminium is also easy to paint hit it with some primer and matt acrylic lacquer and boom it looks like it was made by someone who knows his shit.

Some tips:
Use zip-ties to hold down your pedals, yea velcro seems cool but no.
Light weight is best weight. If you tour internationally or just play your back yard don't carry more than you really need to it adds up really fast.
Don't have your power cables be parallel to your sound cables unless your in to drone

I speak from experience with both pedalboards and bikes
>>
>>918496
What's so tough about dowel jointing?
>>
>>918548
That's all good advice m8. What's wrong with velcro?

>>918557
It's hard as tits. Lining them up via dowel jig is truly a nightmare.
>>
>>918653
See volcro wares out really fast if you switch out pedals often. It also hoards dust. And I haven't played in a clean practice space ever. And It gets less and less and less affective at holding your pedals down until at one point you stomp a box and it slips out and knocks out someone in the first row.
I'm not even making this up.
ZIpeddy zip ties. they are cheaper than velcro and a hell of a hot more secure.
>>
>>918548
>big boy nuts and bolts
no welder big boy?
>>
>>918496
Have you tried using a self-centering dowel jig? They make doweling stuff a dream
>>
>>918750
>welder
>Aluminium
I like sitting at the cool kids table but not the Alzheimer's patient table
>>
>>918760
What is wrong with welding aluminum? I don't get it. I have welded aluminum before.
>>
>>918653

Use drywall screws to assemble, remove the screws and drill out using a brad point bit to the diameter of your dowel.

Insert glue and down, flush trim and sand to satisfaction.
>>
I've made several pedalboard from hard and soft woods. Many are years old and still going strong after heavy gigging.

>>918548
Varnish. Hard set varnish doesn't soak up piss or beer or vomit or whatever else. Hardwood would still be lighter than a tubular/box steel frame and stronger than aluminum if built correctly.

>>919226
In my opinion it's just not worth bothering with given alternative methods of construction. I'd sooner buy a pedal train than fuck about welding aluminium.

>>918752
Have you tried not spending money on junk? I bet you own a pocket hole jig too.
>>
>>919246

>not just leaving the drywall screws in there
>>
>>919275
Op wanted dowels. Id have used wood glue and drywall screws.
>>
This is the perfect project for a kreg jig. I'm no kreg fanboi but I own one and it has its uses.

Honestly to be really class I would have cut a rabbet into the strings and screwed the cross boards into them with cabinet screws.
>>
>>919246
>2015
>using drywall screws for woodworking

Also enjoy those threads stripping after five assemblies.
>>
Seriously, what's hard about dowels in this situation? Clamps and a combination square, my man. Clamp it up the way you want it and drill it. I've never heard of or seen a dowel jig. I do actual joined though, so 95 out of 96 times I'm using a dowel one piece of wood is already tightly in another piece.
>>
>>919372

You're just talking shit now mate.
>>
>>918496
Use a rabbet joint for the platform. The screws (in OP's pic) will be under quite a bit of shear load wha you stomp on that thing. If you don't have router or table saw, make a 'fake' rabbet by gluing a second block inside the end panels which is shorter than the ends by the platform thickness.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.