[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RAID
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: promise_ex16350.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
promise_ex16350.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
So I want to build a machine for "QA" a SQL 2008 R2 Database.

I am planning on buying a "normal" Desktop motherboard, and a PCI Raid Card

I want to install 4 SSD using a RAID 1+0 configuration.

My question here is, should I use a Cached RAID Card or an uncached one?

I won't be doing RAID5, and RAID 1+0 with SSD should be fast enough

Would a cached RAID Card give me way more performance than an uncached one? Considering That I will ONLY do RAID 1+0.

>Mandatory UPS if using a cached raid card
Not a problem with that

>RAID 1+0 is not as secure as RAID5
doesn't matter, I will do this on QA phase

>RAMDisk is way faster than that
I am aware of that, but in this case I need to do it without using RAMDisk

>Why use a Desktop Motherboard instead of a server motherboard
Unless there is a real performance benefit of using it, I see no point on doing that because I alredy have a Server for Production

>PCI SSD drives are way faster
Yeah, but they cost $$$$$$$$$$
And its not like the $$$$$$$ is a problem, is just that if I ever get a PCI Express SSD drive, it will directly go any other Server in here. "Random" IT policies or whatsoever in here...

>Some motherboards some with integrated RAID...
yes, but they SUCK. been there, done that. They SUCK. don't ever do that!!!!

>SQL 2008 R2 is...
yes I know, but I must use SQL 2008 R2, its a must.

>I have no experience and whatsoever, and I recomend using Xyz, based on nothing
I am cool with that :) thank you

>Here is a link/source that states that using a xyz
thank you, I really appretiate
>>
>>918468
A raid card with enough cache to help your SSDs would be top tier $$$. Also try /g
>>
why not raid10? or am I just stupid using the usual term?
>>
>>918468
>Mandatory UPS
you can get cards with a battery on the card that saves the cache over downtime

what the fuck are you doing that you want to cache data to an ssd? some enterprise tier shit there anon.
>>
>>918468
Be careful using ssds. They have a limited number of write cycles and are likely to fail at the same time when used in raid. If you do use ssds I don't think you will need a cached raid card. You will already be getting about double the access speed of a normal ssd due to the nature of raid 10. The performance benefits of caching will be minimal.

>>918725
Raid 1+0 and raid 10 are the same thing. Just different ways to write it.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.