[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I got this nixie clock as a gift and I plan on gutting it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1803725637.jpg (415 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1803725637.jpg
415 KB, 1000x667
so I got this nixie clock as a gift and I plan on gutting it since it is programmed pretty terribly and I got to thinking. What else could I do with it to make the big box worth the space it takes up?
>>
Its 8x9x5 inches and is made from what used to be a variable power supply. The first thing that came to mind was putting a mini itx motherboard in there and having a nixie clock home theater PC case, but I'm interested in what other people could come up with. Any ideas?
>>
>>918117
also by gutting it I mean I'm going to replace the electronics that drive the display. I still want to use it as a clock if I don't find some other use for the display
>>
>>918117
Paint it blue and yellow. Slap some Vault-Tec markings and sell it on Etsy.
>>
>>918122
not a bad idea actually
>>
>>918121
if you are going to use an mcu (arduino or whatever), i recommend you use the ds3231 RTC.
I've been messing around with rtc's and its the only one I've used that actually keeps good time.
it has an internal temperature compensated oscillator. so no fiddling with crystals.
simple battery backup is also nice.

the modules are cheap on ebay.
it can also store date and year if you want to.

you could always use mains frequencies as a timebase. works very well actually.
AFAIK mains frequencies vary a bit during the day, but they are adjusted to make the set amount of cycles average out in 24hours.

i got an old flipclock that runs of mains, never had an issue.
>>
I second the micro itx build. Add in some randomizer functions so you can see worldlines like in m-m-muh animu Steins; Gate.
>>
Sell it to me and I'll make it awesome!

WastedProps
>>
>>918117
>220v
>two bare metal pins in a slot big enough to stick your finger into

Those russians don't fuck around.
>>
>>918994
In mother Russia nature selects you.
>>
>>918994
>russians
>giving a shit about safety
https://youtu.be/UEX7gdQoGZI
>>
>>918117
any idea where I can get one of these? that case is awesome
>>
>>918117
is that old? looks like bakelite plastic
>>
>>919135
How did no one die? Jesus Russia is crazy!
>>
>>918117
Okay Ahmed
>>
>>918122
Or use the numbers in a rail gun. Hue
>>
>>919412
>OP has been silent an awful long time
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.